MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchase Summer School Books/ Books For Next Year Early! mel89 Academics 0 04-15-2011 01:22 PM
When do we buy books? and where do you get your list of what books to buy? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2010 08:14 PM
Books? littleluzer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 06-30-2010 09:40 PM

E-Books

Old 08-24-2011 at 02:45 PM   #1
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

E-Books
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a kindle and was wonering if anyone has any exerience with kindles or any other e-books? First of all, I'd like to have one simply because I'm an avid reader, but I was also thinking about whether or not I can add textbooks to a kindle. Because I'm in English, I don't really have that many "text books" per se, but more actual novels. Does anyone know if a kindle is a good idea for English books? Kindle does have the features of bookmarking, highlighting, and writing in the margins, as you can do with a normal book. They also have a new feature with page numbers that ensure that page numbers correspond with real books, so you don't have to worry about citing.

I'm curious, however, as to whether you can choose a specific edition of a novel. If I have the same book as the class but it's not the same publihser, then the page numbers will be off. So can I choose editions?

Also, just overall, how do you feel about your e-book? What are the pros and cons and would you ultimately recommend someone else buy one?

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2011 at 03:43 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a kindle and was wonering if anyone has any exerience with kindles or any other e-books? First of all, I'd like to have one simply because I'm an avid reader, but I was also thinking about whether or not I can add textbooks to a kindle. Because I'm in English, I don't really have that many "text books" per se, but more actual novels. Does anyone know if a kindle is a good idea for English books? Kindle does have the features of bookmarking, highlighting, and writing in the margins, as you can do with a normal book. They also have a new feature with page numbers that ensure that page numbers correspond with real books, so you don't have to worry about citing.

I'm curious, however, as to whether you can choose a specific edition of a novel. If I have the same book as the class but it's not the same publihser, then the page numbers will be off. So can I choose editions?

Also, just overall, how do you feel about your e-book? What are the pros and cons and would you ultimately recommend someone else buy one?

Thank you!
Just wanted to say that most e-books I've come across are in PDF format, so if you do plan on buying an e-book reader you should make sure it either reads PDF or there's an application to convert PDFs into a format your e-book reader is compatible with.

lizziepizzie says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-24-2011 at 03:59 PM   #3
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Hey guys,

Thank you!
I have had a kindle since January and I love it to death. Just awesome product, lasts like 1 month between charges (for around 6-8 hours reading a week). I have put big ass textbooks which are extremely wide page wise, and my only issue was there is no colour on it. I could read all the small text just fine, and width wise it usually was always readable if you rotated the screen. Just having to differentiate colours on a diagram was a bit of a pain sometimes.

As for editions, that would depend on where you get your book from. If its from a torrent, it might not be formatted as nicely as a book from Amazon or purchased. On the bright side though, if you are studying older novels, lots of them are free online off of Amazon.

Would I recommend it? Hell yes. Easily one of the best purchases you can make if you love reading, or don't want to carry a bunch of bulky textbooks.

EDIT: There is a program called Calibre that easily converts all your formats of books from their original one to one that works with your e-reader.

Last edited by BlakeM : 08-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.

lizziepizzie says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 08-24-2011 at 04:10 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Just wanted to say that most e-books I've come across are in PDF format, so if you do plan on buying an e-book reader you should make sure it either reads PDF or there's an application to convert PDFs into a format your e-book reader is compatible with.
When I say most e-books, I'm referring to e-textbooks for school by the way... But Blake suggested a program for conversion so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-24-2011 at 05:21 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I have had a kindle since January and I love it to death. Just awesome product, lasts like 1 month between charges (for around 6-8 hours reading a week). I have put big ass textbooks which are extremely wide page wise, and my only issue was there is no colour on it. I could read all the small text just fine, and width wise it usually was always readable if you rotated the screen. Just having to differentiate colours on a diagram was a bit of a pain sometimes.

As for editions, that would depend on where you get your book from. If its from a torrent, it might not be formatted as nicely as a book from Amazon or purchased. On the bright side though, if you are studying older novels, lots of them are free online off of Amazon.

Would I recommend it? Hell yes. Easily one of the best purchases you can make if you love reading, or don't want to carry a bunch of bulky textbooks.

EDIT: There is a program called Calibre that easily converts all your formats of books from their original one to one that works with your e-reader.
I thought you could make the text bigger? I was told you can lay around with text sizing. Also, you said you put textbooks on your Kindle; where did you find the editions of the textbooks you needed? Just Amazon?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-24-2011 at 05:58 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You might want to check out the Kobo (a bit slower) if you don't have loads of money to splurge on the Kindle or don't need all its features, but otherwise its (Kindle) a pretty good reader. Just something to think about.