Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth Sc 2GI3 Omega_X13 2nd Year Course Reviews 6 04-29-2017 01:12 PM
Earth Sci 2WW3 vs. Earth Sci 2MM3 The MACster Academics 6 06-19-2010 02:58 PM

Earth Sc 2GI3, 3GI3

Old 06-15-2009 at 09:27 PM   #1
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Earth Sc 2GI3, 3GI3
Hey everyone, hope course selections are going okay...I was hoping someone could give some feedback on Earth Sc 2GI3 and 3GI3, as I can't seem to find any opinions on them (I found the outlines, but would like opinions from people who took them). Are they difficult? I mainly want to know about 3GI3 though so I can decide what to drop for another psych class. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2009 at 06:25 PM   #2
denisa002

Liked: 3 Times

Hi! I would also really appreciate some feedback/advice on Earth Sc 2GI3 (taught by Dr. Scott). Thanks a lot!
Old 06-22-2009 at 09:37 AM   #3
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

I have the same problem lol. I don't know anyone who has taken the course, although I did attend a lecture once a couple years ago on a high school field trip. It was pretty interesting! They were talking about how the police use GIS to solve crimes.
Old 06-22-2009 at 12:37 PM   #4
denisa002

Really? That sounds cool!
I really hope someone who took this course replies before Thursday!
Old 06-22-2009 at 12:47 PM   #5
atyclb

Liked: 1 Time

I've taken Earth Sc 2GI3. I took it during the summer one year because I had heard that it was pretty time consuming so I wanted to take it when I didn't have 4 other courses to worry about. The assignments definitely took a good amount of time to do but the instructions were pretty straightforward. The assignments built on each other so there were steps left out of say the 4th assignment that would have been in the 1st one, that you were expected to know to do without specific instructions to do so.

I didn't have Scott as a prof (I've had him for another class though) I had DeLuca.

Also you have to do the work on campus in certain labs where the GIS computer program is available.

Hope that helps some!

jachill, Omega_X13 all say thanks to atyclb for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 01:10 PM   #6
atyclb

Oh another thing..

I didn't find the course material all that interesting but I didn't really have any interest in it in the first place. I took it because it was a required course for me. I know that there were people in the class that were really interested in it though.
I would suggest making friends/finding someone in the class to talk to about the assignments and work through them together if you get stuck. Everyone in my class was pretty good and nice about helping each other out if we were stuck.
Old 06-22-2009 at 01:28 PM   #7
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Thank you very much for replying.
Old 06-22-2009 at 02:31 PM   #8
denisa002

yup thanks atyclb!
Old 06-24-2009 at 10:27 AM   #9
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Hey atyclb, I was wondering about another thing..Some math courses are listed as potential prerequsites, so I was wondering if the course has A LOT of math involved? The prereqs are changing next year apparently, so I'm guessing not?
Old 06-24-2009 at 03:13 PM   #10
atyclb

From what I remember the math was mostly just dealing with statistics. There were some calculations we needed to use depending on what we had to map. I don't think the pre-req I took made much of a difference. Most of the calculations were pretty basic or they explained to us how to do them.