Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 73%
Earth Sci 2MM3

I took this course last year with Kathy Moretton who was a substitute for the regular professor who was on leave. The breakdown of the course was 4 quizes worth 10% each, a paper worth 20% and a final exam worth 40%. Quizes in this class were extremely easy if you just memorized the class notes. The first quiz could easily pass for a review of grade 9 science, and the other three quizes were basically just regurgitating facts from the notes about various gemstones. Class averages on tests were in the 75-80% range, but it was very easy to obtain 100% on quizes with effort. Also just to note, quizes were a mix of SA and MC. Similarly, the exam was easy and covered only a third of the lecture material. The final paper was honesty a joke. You were to pick a topic that had something to do with gemstones and basically write it out in any way you saw fit(From a science, humanties, commerce, engineering perspective, etc.). My group started and finished the essay the night before and got nearly perfect marks on the paper. In general, groups who had a creative topic did very well on the paper.

The course was interesting in a very esoteric way. I certainly don't think I'll ever use any of the knowledge in my future but you do get an introduction to a very obscure field which may be a nice break from writing essays and midterms about your major. I believe it was Kathy's first time teaching and it showed. Classes were often unorganized and cheating on tests was rampant as there was improper supervison, but at no time was the class not enjoyable.

If you want an easy 12, I'd say gemstones is a good option but it isn't going to inspire you to research sapphires in your free time.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Earth Sci 2MM3!

Old 07-27-2009 at 01:21 PM   #2
Laura03

Liked: 0 Times
This was a great help!

I was just wondering how the final exam went? (difficulty level?) and if you would recommend this course to someone taking 2 biologies, 1 chem, and a physics course in second year?
Old 07-29-2009 at 09:34 AM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura03 View Post
This was a great help!

I was just wondering how the final exam went? (difficulty level?) and if you would recommend this course to someone taking 2 biologies, 1 chem, and a physics course in second year?
The exam was really easy. It was a mix of MC/SA and one long answer question.
The MC/SA questions were easy and the final long answer question was simply answered by regurgitating facts about one focus of the course (DeBeers)

Straight memorization of a couple of note handouts will get you a very nice mark on the exam and the course in general.

And yeah, you shouldn't have a problem with taking this course with your others.

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-29-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2010 at 05:31 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
is this class still a bird class?

Old 06-16-2010 at 08:04 PM   #5
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...e_win ter.pdf

I've heard it's less of a bird course...but still not overly difficult.

Rakim likes this.
Old 06-16-2010 at 09:08 PM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylojl View Post
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...e_win ter.pdf

I've heard it's less of a bird course...but still not overly difficult.
Have you taken it recently?

thanks for the response.
Old 06-19-2010 at 01:57 PM   #7
sf

Liked: 36 Times
This class is not a bird course anymore, its possible to do well, but not without studying and putting in some effort. I took it this past year and I beleive the average on the second midterm was around 52. The midterms were 25 m/c questions in 25 mins so they were pretty stressful if you didn't know the answer right away.
Old 02-11-2015 at 12:02 PM   #8
Riku

Liked: 0 Times
Is there anyone who has the 2009 course-outline or 2010 before the course was removed. Thanks in advance.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search