MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone review 3rd year Life Sci courses? tylerearl General Discussion 6 05-29-2011 05:01 PM
review on third year life sci courses nadia1 Academics 2 07-12-2010 08:00 PM
Review for Commerce courses potatopotato First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 12-30-2009 12:55 PM
BSB Science Courses Review Alchemist11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-06-2009 10:39 PM

Earth Sci Courses Review!

Old 08-28-2011 at 01:36 AM   #1
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Earth Sci Courses Review!
Hi, will someone please review following earthsci courses on interest level, professor, work load and whether they are aceable with the effort put in.

EARTH SC 2E03 Earth history
EARTH SC 2I03 EARTH PROCESSES
EARTH SC 2GI3 INTRODUCTION TO GIS
EARTH SC 2K03 OPTICAL CRYSTALLOGRAPHY AND MINERALOGY

EARTH SC 3DD3 GEOARCHAEOLOGY OF THE UNDERWATER REALM
EARTH SC 3E03 CLASTIC SEDIMENTARY ENVIRONMENTS
EARTH SC 3K03 PETROLOGY
EARTH SC 3QQ3 INTRODUCTION TO SCIENTIFIC DATING METHODS
EARTH SC 3T03 GEOCHEMISTRY OF MINERALS AND ROCKS

I know they are quiet a few...you don't have answer all of them!

Thank you
Old 08-28-2011 at 02:03 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would like to add Earth Sci 3Z03 to this list please Thanks to anyone who can reply!
Old 08-28-2011 at 06:40 PM   #3
volatile.

Liked: 0 Times

Some of these might be found in the 'Reviews' section of Macinsiders. From my experience however....

EARTH SC 2E03
When I took this course in 2009 it was taught by Dr. Eyles and John both of whom were awesome lecturers. The course content was really interesting but there was wayyy too much memorization for my personal liking. Especially for the exam. If you're good at memorizing you will probably excel in a course like this.

EARTH SC 2GI3
Took this the summer of 2011 and it was taught by Patrick DeLuca. Course content was rough. I honestly found myself falling asleep during every lecture. The labs (aka only practical part of the course) were interesting. The great part about it is that you can easily complete the assignments within the allotted lab time and you never have to worry about homework. Overall, really easy to do well in this course if you put in the time and effort it takes to become familiar with the arcGIS program.

EARTH SC 3E03
Took this course in the spring of 2011 and it was taught by Dr. Boyce. Pretty cool dude, definitely knew what he was talking about but he came across as really unapproachable. The course content was really interesting and the labs worked really well with the course material. The midterm and final were really easy imo. Overall, not hard to do well in this course.

Let me know if you have any other questions about any of the three courses.
Old 08-29-2011 at 08:40 AM   #4
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I would like to add Earth Sci 3Z03 to this list please Thanks to anyone who can reply!
I have heard it is one of the hardest courses is the program...very demanding
Old 08-29-2011 at 08:45 AM   #5
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hi, will someone please review following earthsci courses on interest level, professor, work load and whether they are aceable with the effort put in.

EARTH SC 2E03 Earth history
EARTH SC 2I03 EARTH PROCESSES
EARTH SC 2GI3 INTRODUCTION TO GIS
EARTH SC 2K03 OPTICAL CRYSTALLOGRAPHY AND MINERALOGY

EARTH SC 3DD3 GEOARCHAEOLOGY OF THE UNDERWATER REALM
EARTH SC 3E03 CLASTIC SEDIMENTARY ENVIRONMENTS
EARTH SC 3K03 PETROLOGY
EARTH SC 3QQ3 INTRODUCTION TO SCIENTIFIC DATING METHODS
EARTH SC 3T03 GEOCHEMISTRY OF MINERALS AND ROCKS

I know they are quiet a few...you don't have answer all of them!

Thank you
2E03 is actually a pretty interesting course and the labs are definitely manageable. You will need to put effort into this class in order to get a high mark but is possible for sure.
2GI3- This class is very important if you are looking at going into anything geo or enviro sci related. Classes do tend to be dry but it is important that you go. The labs are very demanding and require a lot of time and work, but they are doable. If you take this class be sure to plan to attend all labs for the full allotted time and know that you may need to spend extra time in the lab to get everything done.
3DD3- not offered
3QQ3- new course so there will be no reviews yet
Old 08-29-2011 at 06:01 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
I have heard it is one of the hardest courses is the program...very demanding

Really? That sucks. Oh well. Thanks for the reply!