MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year Sociology courses/prof review kimzy Academics 15 09-14-2010 08:18 PM
review on third year life sci courses nadia1 Academics 2 07-12-2010 08:00 PM
2nd year Pysch courses/prof review kimzy Academics 3 06-12-2010 10:54 PM
BSB Science Courses Review Alchemist11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-06-2009 10:39 PM
commerce failed courses Alexx8 Academics 11 01-01-2009 09:27 AM

Review for Commerce courses

Old 12-07-2009 at 04:50 PM   #1
potatopotato

Liked: 0 Times

Review for Commerce courses
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone can provide me some advice of what to take to get Business minor?? I have a list of courses but don't know which ones are easier or tougher?

thx

COMMERCE 2AA3, 2AB3, 2BA3, 2FA3, 2MA3, 2QA3, 2QB3, 3BC3, 3FA3, 3MC3
Old 12-08-2009 at 12:05 AM   #2
leaffan

Liked: 4 Times

2MA3- course content is easy. Very hard to get a good mark. The tests are not overly difficult but this is the only class where ive seen 61/100 on a report with the comment well done, good report.
Old 12-08-2009
sniderj
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-08-2009 at 04:56 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
2MA3- course content is easy. Very hard to get a good mark. The tests are not overly difficult but this is the only class where ive seen 61/100 on a report with the comment well done, good report.
We don't have Cossa this year. Report marks were much higher.
Old 12-08-2009 at 05:26 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
I'm averaging at around a 70 right now without the exam...
got 82 on the report.

Easier without Cossa.

And even if it was Cossa, the only thing that's tougher is the reports (only 30% of the mark combined with the 2 reports). Her midterms are very easy.

Plus, if you've had Cossa before, you know what to expect with her reports... so really, it's not that hard to do well. o_o

2aa3: i find it hard >_<
2q: little above average difficulty
2ba3: LOVE IT. Easy material, tough midterms. Read the textbook and you're good.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-08-2009 at 11:00 AM   #5
GregZ

2AA3 is not very demanding at all. 2 midterms and a final. Very easy to do well in this course as long as you can grasp the concepts.
Old 12-08-2009 at 12:46 PM   #6
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

My memory of these courses is a little foggy since it's been 3-4 years since I last took them, but I'll try my best.

2AA3 - If you took high school accounting then this course shouldn't pose much of a problem - it'll pretty much be a review for you. However, if you didn't take high school accounting it'll be significantly harder. I think you do 2 mid-terms and a final.

2AB3 - This accounting introduces concepts that aren't present in high school accounting, so the difficulty can vary all over the place. Some people said it was easier than 2AA3, while others said it was harder. I think you also do 2 mid-terms and a final.

2BA3 - This is probably the easiest 2nd year commerce course. As long as you read the textbook thoroughly you should do extremely well. You should have no problem getting at least an 8 or a 9; however, getting a 10+ may require some work (like I said, you need to read the text
thoroughly). The mid-terms I had were all MC (though I'm not sure if that's the case anymore). I also had a few in-class group assignments, but they were not that difficult.

2FA3 - If you're really good at math then you should have no problem doing well in this course. The 2 mid-terms are MC and formula sheets are provided (I think the final is also MC, but I'm not 100% sure). Also, the mid-terms are kinda unique since there will be easy questions worth 1 mark, harder questions worth 2, and the hardest worth 3. If you want info on this then don't hesitate to ask me.

2QA3 - This course is somewhat similar to Gr. 12 Data Management. The 2 mid-terms and final are all TF and MC (formula sheets are provided). There are also 5 short assignments each worth 1%. Basically if you're good with stats you should have no problem doing well.

2QB3 - I don't remember much from this course. I think there are 2 mid-terms, 2 assignments, and the final. I'm not sure if they're MC or short answer. The course content isn't terribly difficult, but it's not easy either.

3BC3 - This course is pretty much the 3rd year equivalent of 2BA3. One mid-term and a final - both are all MC. There are also a few in-class group assignments. Just make sure you're in a good group and you'll do fine.

3FA3 - Similar to 2FA3 Finance, just a bit more difficult. There are 2 mid-term and a final, and this time they're all straight MC.

3MC3 - Of all courses on this list, this one will eat up most of your time. You will have to compete with every student in the class for participation marks (I'm a shy guy, so it got really brutal for me a few times). The main thing you'll do here is the group industry project, where you basically choose any local business (I did the Crabby Joe's on Main/Osler) and analyze it (like, what its main competitors are, what are it's strengths/weakness, what are its opportunities/threats, etc.). The most important thing is to get into a really good, hard-working group, or else you might get screwed! Also you'll have to do two group presentations of your findings. The only redeeming thing about this course is that there's no exam.

Hope this helps.

potatopotato likes this.
Old 12-12-2009 at 09:09 PM   #7
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

2AA3 - I never took accounting in high school so I found it a bit difficult. There were some assignments to pull your marks up and attend tutorials for an extra 3% of your grade. But I heard that assignments have been taken out this year, and the course is worth 25% for each midterm (there's 2), and a 50% final. I'm not too sure about that though.

2AB3 - I actually found it easier than 2AA3, but I ended up with the same mark. There's more calculations than concepts in this course. But again, there are assignments to help boost your mark.

2FA3 - I found this course difficult. The prof gives you sample midterms and exams, but they definitely do not help when you're actually writing the exams. The textbook is tiny (around 120 pages in a novel size), and I didn't find it that useful at all.

2BA3 - Easy course. All theory and just memorize.

2MA3 - I actually didn't find Rita Cossa to be a bad professor. I remember I got 30% for my first report, but ended up with an 80% for the second report. It really depends on the TA that marks the reports. Rita does not actually mark the reports, but I guess she gives guidelines to her TAs to deduct marks. Her midterms and exam is super easy, just go to class, and read the textbook.

2QA3 - There is no way of escaping the rudest prof Buchanan. I dropped this course last year, and there is a war going on between him and the students since he won't give a clear outline of what is on the exam. I think most of us don't know what's going on. The first midterm was super easy, second midterm had to be bell-ed, and I have no idea what the hell will happen after Monday when we write the final.

2QB3 (2KA3) - Very easy course. Just study the textbook and you'll end up with a good mark.

3FA3 - Just finished the exam. The exam was difficult I would say. But overall, I find that this course is actually easier than 2FA3. The prof gives you a lot of past tests to study from, and some of the questions he asks are actually the same.

Hope this helps.

potatopotato likes this.
Old 12-12-2009 at 09:52 PM   #8
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
2QA3 - There is no way of escaping the rudest prof Buchanan. I dropped this course last year, and there is a war going on between him and the students since he won't give a clear outline of what is on the exam. I think most of us don't know what's going on. The first midterm was super easy, second midterm had to be bell-ed, and I have no idea what the hell will happen after Monday when we write the final.
Thank god the exam can be weighted 2 different ways...
Old 12-13-2009 at 04:19 AM   #9
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatopotato View Post
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone can provide me some advice of what to take to get Business minor?? I have a list of courses but don't know which ones are easier or tougher?

thx

COMMERCE 2AA3, 2AB3, 2BA3, 2FA3, 2MA3, 2QA3, 2QB3, 3BC3, 3FA3, 3MC3

Just FYI you're looking at the 2006 course calendar, there have been a few minor changes since:
Old New
2QB3 -> 2KA3
3BC3 -> 2BC3

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1192.html

I recommend the accountings if you are good at technical stuff, following complex instructions etc..
2FA and 2 QA are math based and are a piece of cake if you have a math mackground
The rest are read and regurgitate kinds of courses. If you like any of the course descriptions I would go for them, if you like reading they are quite easy.
Old 12-13-2009 at 10:40 PM   #10
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Thank god the exam can be weighted 2 different ways...
Haha, I know, but I tried calculating my mark with both the ways, and they don't make a huge difference. Good luck to both of us on the exam.
Old 12-15-2009 at 01:13 AM   #11
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmon View Post
Just FYI you're looking at the 2006 course calendar, there have been a few minor changes since:
Old New
2QB3 -> 2KA3
3BC3 -> 2BC3

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1192.html

I recommend the accountings if you are good at technical stuff, following complex instructions etc..
2FA and 2 QA are math based and are a piece of cake if you have a math mackground
The rest are read and regurgitate kinds of courses. If you like any of the course descriptions I would go for them, if you like reading they are quite easy.
asdfjkl;

So I know that I need at least 3 units in a level III course to be able to declare the minor in Business, but this really makes things a little complicated, as I was planning on taking 3BC3.

I wasn't planning on taking Marketing too, so I don't have the requirements for 3MC3. I also despised Econ 2I03 (an alternative to 2FA3), which I took in the summer, so I would really prefer not to do anything related to financial accounting again...

Looks like I'll be having a talk with someone soon...
Old 12-30-2009 at 11:56 AM   #12
MrSmith

From all of these required 2nd year commerce classes, which ones have tests on Saturdays.
Old 12-30-2009 at 12:04 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Please please please add reviews in the course reviews section for these courses if you haven't already!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-30-2009 at 12:43 PM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
From all of these required 2nd year commerce classes, which ones have tests on Saturdays.
Changes year to year, but a lot of them do.