MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
failed courses and your CA jarjar Academics 7 06-12-2010 09:14 PM
Failed Courses gabriela.05 Academics 4 06-02-2010 07:53 PM
Review for Commerce courses potatopotato First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 12-30-2009 12:55 PM
regarding failed courses... BinMonitored First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-11-2009 01:25 AM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

commerce failed courses

Old 12-25-2008 at 02:32 AM   #1
Alexx8

Liked: 0 Times

commerce failed courses
So I have found myself in a huge mess..
I did not pass my pre-requisite math 1f03 which was a required course for commerce.. So looks like I am out of the business school
I have however faced the fact that math is not one of my strong points and would rather pursue a humanities degree.
The thing is when can I switch over to the faculty of humanities.. this semester? or next year?
I will be short a credit and you need 30 units to apply into level 2 humanities..
and plus since everything is practically full right now I don't know quite what to do
Any advice would be helpful, I do of course plan on seeking advice from the academic counsellors but giving it a thought over the break doesn't hurt
Let me know my options, and what your opinions are on my situation
Thanks
Old 12-25-2008 at 08:51 AM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I think you can sort of switch to the faculty of humanities this year. Technically, you can just pick humanities courses that will help you fulfill the Humanities I requirements for this year's second term. Official program changes don't happen until you apply for them in March, though.

If you are short a credit, you could take one to make it up in the summer here at Mac, elsewhere, or even online.
Old 12-25-2008 at 11:21 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup, as nh999 said you can't really switch at this time. You only switch programs either a) at the end of first year or b) in june-ish when you start choosing courses for thre following year (after having been granted permission by that faculty).

Just mirror a Humanities I program for Term II. And yes, you will need to make up those credits sometime between summer and the end of year IV

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-26-2008 at 01:55 AM   #4
Alexx8

when applying for a 2nd year major in humanities how exactly would that work for me... if i am short a credit and have to take it in summer and also if im not officially apart of the faculty..
or will i not get to choose that.. i dont really understand how all that works
Old 12-26-2008 at 10:18 AM   #5
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

where do you find out how many units you need to apply to a level 2 program?
Old 12-26-2008 at 12:07 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Alexx8,

You can select a Humanities program just like everyone else when the system for that is up in March. The Registrar will determine if you are eligible for the program after your grades come out in May/June. If you are missing credits, I believe they may put you on hold somehow until after the summer school grades come in.

winonakid,

See the undergraduate calendar to check requirements. I think everyone has to complete 30 units to apply to a level 2 program...

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...2008/index.htm

Alexx8 says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 12-29-2008 at 11:09 AM   #7
sara_

hey there, so last year i was in the same position as you, except i started out in humanities. I ended up failing Math as well. They told me that you only need 24 credits to get into a second year program. So I don't think you need to worry! Just go see an academic advisor and they will let you know as well, they're really helpful!
But all in all, I'm almost positive you can fail a course and still get into a second year program as long as you have the average. I did
Old 12-29-2008 at 10:50 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I did too. However, you may not get into an Honours program due to your sessional average most-likely being lower than what you need.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-30-2008 at 06:14 PM   #9
sara_

this is true. honestly, just work your butt off second semester and you definitely can get into honours program. its possible! i got my average up, and was able to get into an honours program because of my second semester.
so rest easy, just check out your options.
Old 12-31-2008 at 03:27 PM   #10
Alexx8

if i dont get into the honours program this year.. will i have a chance getting into it another year? do you know how that may work?
Old 12-31-2008 at 09:53 PM   #11
nh999
Elite Member

If you don't get into an honours program, you can enter a non-honours program (i.e. just a plain Bachelor's, 3 year program) for now. The minimum CA is usually something like 3.5. Then, as lorend has frequently suggested, shadowing the program you're interested in would be smart so that you would be eligible to switch.

Yes, you have a chance to change programs every year. The same program opens on SOLAR to everyone. However, you would need to pull up your average to be eligible. I think 6.0 is the CA for most Honours Programs. The application process is the same: select the Honours program on SOLAR.
Old 01-01-2009 at 09:27 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, the CA is around a 6.0 for most humanities programs. However, you will need a 7.0 in the courses in that discipline. For example if you wanted to go into English you'd need a 7.0 between English 1A03 and 1AA3 (or any 6 units of first year English).

Your second year acceptance average to the program is supposed to be a little higher, from what I was told by a counsellor in my second year. However, I don't know exactly what the CA is: I think it depends on the size of the program.