MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Selling: Earth Science 2GG3 book Ruggedman Academics 3 01-14-2010 10:08 PM
Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters blahishness Academics 14 12-27-2009 03:56 PM
Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters AlchemistX Academics 1 07-23-2009 12:25 PM

Earth Science 2GG3

Old 12-17-2010 at 11:23 PM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Earth Science 2GG3
I had a very difficult time in this class. Please keep in mind that I already took this course under another professor and dropped in halfway through. So it probably shouldn't have been as hard as it was.

I had a lot of problems with this course. The actual content itself was kind of...
Old 01-02-2013 at 12:22 PM   #30
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
I'm just debating between taking this course or Econ1BB3. I might stick with this then since it seems a lot more interesting .
Old 04-07-2013 at 08:52 PM   #31
carolinedcp

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Hi There,
With Dr. Basik this class is an easy 12. He is a great prof who is genuinely interested in this course and natural disasters and wants his students to be passionate about it as well. He is engaging and tries to get students involved by asking questions and letting them answer. Even if you say a wrong answer, he still encourages you and says something like "not exactly what I am looking for but good guess". I don't need to go to this but I do because he is a great prof and feel bad that not many do.

Grade Breakdown:
5 quizzes: 30%
Midterm :30%
Final: 40%

If you got below 20/30 on the midterm then he let you do an extra assignment that is worth 3% extra on your midterm. Super easy assignment that is 3-4 pages on 3 natural disasters in 2012-2013.

He genuinely nice guy and wants students to do well in his class by posting the notes online, making midterm and final exam study packages and giving extra assignments. He will also joke about how students finish the test within 4 or 5 minutes. It is a bird course but it is one of the best classes I have taken in my 3 years at mac.

lauraleblanc, PRicci, Swampis all say thanks to carolinedcp for this post.

mike4, Swampis like this.
Old 04-22-2013 at 11:08 AM   #32
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
I just took this course in the 2013 Winter term, and found the course to extremely easy. If you are looking for an easy elective, I highly recommend taking this course. The course breakdown is the same as the poster above me as said. And the midterms and exams are a joke, you can literally finish the midterm and exam in 10 mins each. Plus, you don't need to go to lecture at all to attain a good mark, I never went after the first week. However, make sure Basik is teaching the course if you plan on taking it.

PRicci says thanks to Swampis for this post.
Old 04-22-2013 at 01:46 PM   #33
kimjsi

Liked: 5 Times
I think i remember going once to his class and that was the midterm day
Other than that, there's absolutely no need to attend the regular lectures as his lecture notes are self-explanatory (I hear that his lectures were interesting though)
You can finish the midterm in less than 10 minutes unless you decide to troll
As for the final exam, it takes about 10-15 minutes to finish and I kid you not, 2 hours is all you need to study for the final exam

Getting below 12 is really difficult in this course at least was for this academic year
Old 04-26-2013 at 01:03 PM   #34
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
^the final was actually hard for me because i didnt memorize the quizzzes and only studied the review pdf. about 5 questions from the review pdf came on the final. about 55 were from online quizzes.
Old 04-26-2013 at 05:13 PM   #35
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^the final was actually hard for me because i didnt memorize the quizzzes and only studied the review pdf. about 5 questions from the review pdf came on the final. about 55 were from online quizzes.
I'd have to agree with Silver. Reading the package didn't prepare me very well for the final at all.
Old 04-28-2013 at 12:54 AM   #36
ak23

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Dr.Basik is the man.

BrownTown993, Swampis like this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 08:43 PM   #37
PRicci

Liked: 1 Time
new review
i think someone who has taken this course recently needs to write a review.....this is now considered a bird course (thats what everyone keeps telling me)
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:26 PM   #38
Jennnnn

Liked: 4 Times
It's a course where people do good in overall. One thing i really like about the course is the prof, hes a really sweet and friendly person. He is a prof who truly cares about his students, so people shouldnt be saying bad things about him. He doesnt have to make the course this easy but he just cares a lot about his students and for them to achieve the best possible mark even if it puts his job at risk.
Old 06-06-2013 at 10:17 AM   #39
natlegz

Liked: 0 Times
It says on the timetable that Bernier is teaching the course 2nd term ... would you guys still recommend taking it?
Old 06-06-2013 at 03:03 PM   #40
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times
I took Water with Bernier last year and it was good, got an 11. I actually really liked it and now I'm going to be taking disasters with him 2nd term AND environmental issues with him 1st term.
Old 06-14-2013 at 01:37 PM   #41
banana93

Liked: 11 Times
Would you have a lot of trouble if you happen to miss the lectures? Not that I'm gonna purposely skip but I may have to go back home on Friday evening but I can only take this course 2nd term and this course got a core on Friday evening. wondering If it would be a problem to miss his class once in a while.
Old 06-14-2013 at 02:01 PM   #42
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
When I took it with Dr. Basik, it was fine not to show up for lecture. His notes were very complete and he basically told you what to study for regarding midterms/exams. Don't sweat it .
Old 08-12-2013 at 04:18 AM   #43
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times
Has anyone taken this course with Dr. Bernier?
Old 08-13-2013 at 11:53 PM   #44
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Has anyone taken this course with Dr. Bernier?
nope. first time teaching for him iirc. i would expect many changes since with basik this wasnt even a legit course. easier than stuff i did in elementary school.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search