MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Electives Curly-2 Academics 557 09-21-2013 05:34 PM
Easy third year electives? tylerearl General Discussion 0 08-14-2011 05:08 PM
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM

Easy 2nd Year Electives

Old 12-13-2011 at 04:06 PM   #1
ginaj

Liked: 1 Time

Easy 2nd Year Electives
I still need to choose two 2nd year electives for the winter semester but I have no idea what I should take. Any suggestions would be super helpful. I know what may seem easy to some may be hard for others. I'm looking for a course that has a lot of chances to do well. I don't want a course where if you blow the exam or midterm, you're screwed cause it's worth 50%. I hope you get the gist of what type of course I'm looking for. Also, I don't want something was a billion assignments (unless they're quite easy). Thanks for reading!
Old 12-13-2011 at 05:29 PM   #2
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Look into religious studies courses. Probably take something pertaining to your own religion? I know my muslim friends aced the courses about Islam.

From personal experience. I took 2QQ3 - Cults in North America with Dr.Penner. I beleive that was the code. Anyway, we watched a movie every class once a week(because it was a night class) and were required to write about 4-5 short reflections on the movies. He would always give a choice.

There was no textbook but the course wasn't an easy 10-12 either. Since the reflections were short, you had to know how to be insightful and critcal in a concise manner. They TA's weren't exactly the easy markers either. But in the end I got a good mark because there was a lot of room for improvement, at least I thought so. The exam involved essay writing as well on the movies watched in class.

Penner is a great prof, gets really emotional and hyped up while lecturing lol.

Also, the movies he showed contained REALLY mature sexual content, just a heads up. So you would either enjoy them with popcorn or dread going to class

For me it was like going to the theatre to watch a movie every Tuesday night but the lectures did have a lot of uncomfortable moments.

Also, death and dying 2nd yr courses are quite popular as well. I beleive the codes are religious studies 2N03 and 2M03 - can't comment much because I haven't taken them.

You're in science 2nd yr, how about Science 2B03?

ginaj says thanks to Phantom for this post.
Old 12-13-2011 at 06:24 PM   #3
bozekp

Liked: 2 Times

Anthro 2G03. Look up its course review.

Or Natural Disasters. Gemstones?

Also Astro 2B03 (used to be Science 2B03)

Last edited by bozekp : 12-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.

ginaj says thanks to bozekp for this post.
Old 12-13-2011 at 07:24 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozekp View Post
Anthro 2G03. Look up its course review.

Or Natural Disasters. Gemstones?

Also Astro 2B03 (used to be Science 2B03)
natural disaster = good

gemstones = bad

astron 2b03 = first term only

religious studies courses = becareful some have a lot of writing, essays, and exmas are essays too, so if your not into that avoid

ginaj says thanks to Chevalier for this post.
Old 12-13-2011 at 08:28 PM   #5
Schleifer_1

Liked: 17 Times

I can only give you an opinion on Environmental Science classes, since the only second year electives I've taken so far I do not recommend, so when I say a class is fairly easy, I mean from the perspective of someone who's good at Environmental Science.

ENVIR SC 2B03: Soil and the Environment - Although many people would not consider this to be a very easy course, I found it to be a fairly easy class. You just need to know very basic chemistry (REDOX and Acid Base), and understand some basic concepts. [4 Labs=25%; Midterm=35%; Final=40%]

ENVIR SC 2I03: Earth Processes - In this class, you basically need to understand Igneous and Metamorphic rocks, tectonic plates, and, as the class name suggests, earth processes. There's also some basic remote sensing, but it's fairly straight forwards. [10 Labs=50%; Midterm=20%; Final=30%]

ENVIR SC 2C03: Boundary Layer Climates - Although this class isn't exactly an easy class, it is useful. I recommend this class for anyone who ever needs to use Microsoft Excel. This doesn't exactly fit your description of what you're looking for, but I though it important to note this class anyway; it's also noteworthy that I got a B+ in this class, and took it before the first year climate class, so it is possible to do well even if you have limited background. [4 Labs=20%; Midterm=20%; Final=60%]

ENVIR SC 2GI3: Introduction to GIS - Before taking this class, I asked around, and people basically told me "you love it or you hate it." Having just finished this class, I can't wait to start ENVIR SC 3GI3. Not only is GIS an excellent skill, but most people use some for of GIS, even if they don't realize it (Google Maps, a GPS). If you can do computers and geography, you can do GIS. There's some data management and statistics, but no more than absolutely necessary. I recommend this class, but be careful, because with GIS, you either love it, or you hate it. [6 Assignments=40%; Midterm=20%; Final=40%]

ENVIR SC 2E03: Earth History - Originally, this class included 2I03, but due to the difficulty, the classes were divided. The result was two classes I personally found to be fairly easy. Earth History is about sedimentary rocks, fossils, the Phanerozoic and the Precambrian (i.e. the history of the world from 4.5billion years ago to now. Note: there's very little about the Precambrian, and it's mostly about the past 550million years.) The material is fairly straight forwards, and the class is fairly easy. Most of the labs are very much done in groups, and the last two labs allow you plenty of time to complete them. There is a field trip. Yes, the final exam is worth a lot, but consider this: if the final is worth 50%, and you are not failing the class going into the final, passing the final means passing the class. [6 Labs=30%; Lab Exam=10%; Midterm=10%; Final=50%]

Environmental Science classes tend to be much more hands on than other classes. Personally, I find hands on learning much more effective than lectures, and I hate writing essays or frequently writing papers. Although I never recommend skipping lectures, and Environmental Sciences do have the occasional paper, they tend to be very lab based, and much more concept based than other studies. In addition, many people tend to recommend first year Environmental Sciences are easy electives. The characteristics that make the first year classes easy carry over to second year.

In the end, everyone's going to think that different second year classes are easy. If you want an easy second year class, start by looking at what you're good at, and what you enjoy. If you like essays, look at humanities. If you like labs, look at environmental sciences and other practical sciences. If you like lectures and math, look at math and theoretical/core sciences like physics or chemistry. All I can give you is my experience. I hope this information is helpful.

ginaj says thanks to Schleifer_1 for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 12-14-2011 at 11:17 AM   #6
ginaj

Thank you everyone!
Seems like all these electives are full :l I think I'm going to have to settle on something I may not enjoy.
Old 12-14-2011 at 11:37 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Look into religious studies courses. Probably take something pertaining to your own religion? I know my muslim friends aced the courses about Islam...
Why would you take a course on a subject you already are an expert on? Isn't that like taking an intro language course you're already super fluent in? Isn't university about exploring your interests? If I was a muslim I'd like... take something dealing with eastern religions instead of abrahmic ones.. :S
How can you expand your mind if you stay in one little bubble and don't challenge yourself? (especially a cultural and religious bubble)

PinkiePie likes this.
Old 12-15-2011 at 01:31 PM   #8
PinkiePie

Liked: 6 Times

Take courses you like; if you don't have any interest in the subject matter you won't be motivated to study or learn anything. One person's bird course is another's personal hell.

ginaj says thanks to PinkiePie for this post.

Old 12-15-2011 at 02:32 PM   #9
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

What is US geography like? I'm taking it based off interest. It can't be bad, right? Right?
Old 12-15-2011 at 03:34 PM   #10
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
What is US geography like? I'm taking it based off interest. It can't be bad, right? Right?
i took it last year. It is quite a heavy load. The material is not hard but because it is 3 times a week, there is soo much information to memorize (you have to memorize all the states, land features, rivers etc..) and the assignment was marked really hard.

ginaj says thanks to Awesomeness for this post.
Old 12-24-2011 at 02:13 AM   #11
ginaj

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:15 AM   #12
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Earth Sci 2GG3 - Natural Disasters (easiest 12 to get)
Earth Sci 2WW3 - Water
Music 2II3 - Pop Music
Music 2T03 - Canadian Music

With even a slight bit of interest and minimal effort, you should be able to get at least get a 10