MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy elective courses Bigmacfatpack Academics 3 04-27-2016 08:30 PM
Easy Elective mac_student Academics 4 06-09-2013 01:03 AM
easy first year elective Katelyn999 Academics 12 07-17-2010 12:00 PM
Easy First Year Elective caitygambi Academics 1 06-25-2010 08:43 PM
Easy Elective Courses Lizliz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-17-2009 08:43 PM

Easy Elective Help

Old 08-18-2016 at 01:18 PM   #1
mbock

Liked: 0 Times

Easy Elective Help
Hi everyone, I'm in engineering so I'm a math and science brain, so I do not do well with essay writing or reflective kind of writing. That being said, I was just wondering which electives would you guys suggest for someone like me? I heard enviro 1g03 is easy but it doesnt fit in my schedule so I see 1C03 is open and wondering anyones opinion on that? I was also thinking about antro 2U03 and Natural disasters with bernier.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2016 at 01:59 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Do Geography, it's the simplest things ever. It's a bit of writing, but it's trivial. You basically write a paper on a part of Hamilton with significant cultural heritage. It's a team thing too, so it's easier.
Old 08-18-2016 at 02:01 PM   #3
mbock

Which geography course are you referring to?
Old 08-18-2016 at 02:24 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbock View Post
Which geography course are you referring to?
Geog 1HA3, it's a pretty good summer course (if you are in 5 year program). You just derp around town with friends and write a 1 page report.

PS. There's a few other assignments, but they are so easy I don't even count them as such. Overall the course is very much like Grade 10 Geography.

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 08-18-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2016 at 03:37 PM   #5
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Econ 1B03 and 1BB3 sound up your alley.

Honestly, though, take something you're interested in; don't just take something because it's easy. Electives that align with your interests are the best ones, and they end up being more enjoyable.
Old 08-19-2016 at 11:48 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Here is a massive forum thread on easy first year electives at McMaster:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1711 1
Old 08-22-2016 at 11:20 AM   #7
mbock

Thanks for your help but I ended up taking Econ 1b03 because I read mixed reviews about the geo 1ha3 prof mercier. Like half of the people said really terrible reviews and holmes (the prof for econ) got all good reviews so!
Old 08-22-2016 at 11:20 AM   #8
mbock

Yeap I ended up taking econ.........thanks!
Old 08-22-2016 at 11:22 AM   #9
mbock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Geog 1HA3, it's a pretty good summer course (if you are in 5 year program). You just derp around town with friends and write a 1 page report.

PS. There's a few other assignments, but they are so easy I don't even count them as such. Overall the course is very much like Grade 10 Geography.
have you taken econ as an elective?
Old 08-29-2016 at 02:03 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Nice. Glad you found one. Remember, there's an add/drop period once classes start.. so you can go to your first ECON 1B03 class to get the course outline, chat with the prof, and if it doesn't seem like it's right for you... you have the option to drop that course and pick up a different one as long as there's another one available for you to 'add' in SOLAR.
Old 08-29-2016 at 11:24 AM   #11
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Completely tangentially, I worked in engineering (as a lead design technologist) for 15 years and lemme say that if you are in engineering, you'd better learn how to read and write. You do very little math and science once you have a job in engineering: whatever you're doing, someone's already written a book (code, manufacturer's specs, government standards), and you mostly just look stuff up in those books. I passed around a MATH 1M03 practice exam at work and none of the licensed professional engineers I asked remembered even how to do that level of math. As an engineer your career will progress only if you can write design reports and technical documents, respond to emails, present and consider arguments, lead client meetings, speak in public, and especially (in client-facing engineering) write proposals. As far as electives go, I'd think something like history would actually be good fun for an engineer - it teaches you to read, understand what you read, see different viewpoints, see a big picture, and so on. Plus it's a good break from all the math you'll be doing. Trust me, your brain will need periodic breaks from math.