Textbooks for PNB? smarties13 Academics 1 08-08-2011 07:54 PM
Textbooks francis General Discussion 3 08-07-2011 11:04 AM
textbooks sana.banana Academics 8 12-19-2010 08:16 PM

ECE textbooks

Old 08-19-2014 at 04:10 PM   #1
hasan_rizvi

Liked: 0 Times

ECE textbooks
Can someone tell me the number of textbooks 2nd year ece students have to buy for Elec eng and comp eng?
Do some courses require one book?
There are
Elec Eng 2CI5,2CJ4,2EI5
Comp Eng DI4 SH4 SI4
Old 08-19-2014 at 08:14 PM   #2
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Lest things have changed since I did second year (four years ago), SH4 and SI4 textbooks aren't necessary. 2DI4 I didn't buy the book for-- I found the previous edition online, and the lectures are comprehensive enough.

2CI5 book is a definite must. Again, lest things have changed, CJ4 book is the same as CI5. 2EI5 book is necessary, but it should be re-used in 3EJ4

Also, you forgot 2FH3.

Old 08-19-2014 at 11:40 PM   #3
Albert

I agree with everything eulwm said. 2SH4 and 2SI4 you shouldnt need the textbook. past midterms and lectures are enough. Same thing with 2DI4, though I did read the last edition online as well. But really focus on past midterms for 2DI4. 2CI5 you do really need the book. Since the only way to get it is with practice. 2CJ4 is very similar to CI5 but easier. Not sure if 2EI5 textbook was that helpful. It's a hard course but the book was set up differently then the lectures. Same general content though so it helps to read. but your time would be better spent doing problems/past tests/ lecture notes.

For 2FH3 they switched it up this year and did lectures on youtube and the in class lectures were tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQ_...HpIhf9pds Vsw

link to bakr lectures.
You can find an old version of the book online.

Since I'm here may as well ask, how was third year for Elec book wise, and what did you find was the best way to study for each course?

COMP ENG 2DP4
ENGINEER 2B03
ELEC ENG 3CL4, 3EJ4, 3FK4, 3PI4, 3TP4, 3TQ4, 3TR4
Old 08-20-2014 at 06:04 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

2DP4 book was basically pointless. I had it with Capson and he made the course a breeze. Different prof now, so I can't attest to the usefulness of the materials. Though, most likely, previous tests will be sufficient.

3TP4 was really easy. Terry Todd makes all his courses a joke. Previous midterm and paying attention in lecture is enough.

3EJ4: I took it the first year Deen taught it, and he made it BRUTAL. I've heard that over the years it has become more "pass-able". I guess the book isn't particularly necessary (same as EI5), as his lectures are pretty comprehensive, but it's a book reference book and can help to clarify some stuff. So long as you attend, pay attention and try it should be good. Probably try to find some problems to do as well.

3PI4: Book wasn't particularly useful. I wouldn't even say the lectures were useful. Dr. Chen makes his tests very, very similar to the tutorials. I took 4EK4 with him and he told me his philosophy was to make it very straightforward for students to pass the course. Getting in and out of the course is pretty easy, but actually understanding the material is pretty tough. Go to class, even if you don't pay attention-- he does lecture attendance that affects whether or not you get a curve at the end of the course.

3TR4: Book isn't really necessary. Reilly is a fantastic lecturer and makes the course very straightforward. GO TO LECTURES. You are lucky to have him, as opposed to Wong!

3FK4: Book is good, if only to populate your cheat sheet. I bomb at theoretical E&M courses, so I can't say much helpful here. Field is ALL ABOUT THEORY. Lectures are him deriving things for 50 minutes. Good for the accent and dry British humour.

3TQ4: I took it with a different prof. You have Field for this, too. I have heard that the midterm is easy but the exam is a nightmare. Book, for me, was pointless. But it may have greater importance now with Field. Lectures are probably very important.

3CL4: Tutorials. Go to tutorials and actively learn. I don't mean write what he says and writes absently. Actually sit there, absorbing what he says, thinking and making connections. Take the pre-labs seriously, too. They are very good practice. Lectures aren't bad, but they don't hold a candle to tutorial. Textbook was helpful but not necessary.

Old 08-21-2014 at 08:51 AM   #5
Gladiator777

You only need 2CI5 book (Buy it) which is a must. You can use the same book for 2CJ4. Courses like 2DI4, 2SH4, 2SI4, 2EI5, 2FH3 just attending lectures are enough. You can find PDF for all the courses just in case if you need to look over some concepts. No need to waste money and buy those textbooks.