MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

textbooks

Old 12-19-2010 at 12:24 PM   #1
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

textbooks
Hello
This question is for people in 2nd year and >
is there any point keeping first year bio textbooks (for bio 1a03 and 1m03), as well as chem textbook for next year...i m gonna sell most of my textbooks, and i wasnt too sure abt bio and chem (whether to keep them or not).
Old 12-19-2010 at 01:48 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

There's no point to keeping them.

If you ever need to look at something, you can always just google it or grab it from the library for free.

Sell them while you can.
Old 12-19-2010 at 01:54 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Bio, definitely not. All the material can be found in the textbooks or online as mentioned. Chem as well, but with chem, if you tend to forget easily, having the textbook might come in handy. But also, the first few chapters of the Orgo textbook pretty much cover most of the basics. And if anything, you can always look it up online or keep the online version of the textbook (if there is one). Long story short, I thought they would come in handy, but you have more than enough resources to use without referring back to first year textbooks!
Old 12-19-2010 at 05:46 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

sell them... as for chem... the second yr orgo book i bought was like $15(8th edition) and wayy easier to read and understand thant the first yr book was
Old 12-19-2010 at 05:58 PM   #5
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
sell them... as for chem... the second yr orgo book i bought was like $15(8th edition) and wayy easier to read and understand thant the first yr book was
The first year chem book is completely useless for orgo anyway. No point holding onto that book.
Old 12-19-2010 at 05:59 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
The first year chem book is completely useless for orgo anyway. No point holding onto that book.
meh... i would be lying if i said i went thru the first yr chem book
Old 12-19-2010 at 06:03 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

when's the best time to sell first year textbooks, if I may ask? o.o I was planning to wait until april but thinking back on it, the only people I'd be able to sell them to are the bookstore... so is september a better time or should I be selling my first sem. books now?
Old 12-19-2010 at 06:07 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
when's the best time to sell first year textbooks, if I may ask? o.o I was planning to wait until april but thinking back on it, the only people I'd be able to sell them to are the bookstore... so is september a better time or should I be selling my first sem. books now?
you can try selling some now/beginning of second term because alot of courses run both terms.... the rest that dont you can wait till nxt yr...

ps. the bookstore almost never gives u a good offer

anon491 says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 12-19-2010 at 08:16 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
If you don't need the book anymore, and the course is running next term, sell them now! If you need it for next term, you can try selling them during exam time in April for people who are taking summer school. Protip: Titles offers for buyback suck -no exaggeration. A friend last year was offered like $3 for a textbook, and although it was 1 edition older, I'm sure it's not worth JUST $3 -_-!

anon491, justinsftw all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.