Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
60%60%60%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 75%
Economics 2g03/2x03

This course is a bit challenging than Economics 1B03 because it has calculus (particularly optimization) and some logic involved. In terms of the lectures, it tend to be a bit fast so patience is a key to understand the lecture notes. She has pretty organized lecture notes which is helpful, tutorial workbook which is good practice for midterms and final exam, and has sufficient numerical examples that gears you ahead to study. Also, reading and practice problems from the textbook can supplement to study Economics effectively.

Topics that learned from the class:
Costs of Production - find max profit, min cost
Perfect Competition
Monopoly - You need to understand the relationship with average variable cost, marginal cost, marginal revenue, and other associated equations.
Game Theory and Oligopoly - it has similar concept as monopoly, however instead one equation as monopoly has, you are dealing with 2 or more equations.

The assessments are consists of multiple choice came from the numerical examples from the lecture notes and some definitions.

Professor Holmes done a great job in making the course easier and more comfortable to students. Take this course if it is a required course, it interest to you or comfortable in solving problems with the use of Calculus

artsy says thanks to keiser=) for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Economics 2g03/2x03!

Old 08-20-2012 at 11:56 PM   #2
PhysicalSci1

Liked: 0 Times
What is the marking scheme or assessments ?
Old 08-22-2012 at 08:40 PM   #3
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalSci1 View Post
What is the marking scheme or assessments ?
60 % Midterms 2 x 30% each midterm, 30 multiple choice 1 - 1.5 hours

40 % Final 40 multiple choice 2 - 3 hours

Remember also that bonus will be given depending on the tutorial work assigned to you
Old 08-25-2012 at 05:00 PM   #4
maherq8

Hey Keissser!
I know you are extremely smart but realistically speaking, do you really need the textbook?
Because i had Holmes for econ 1b03 last year and I found the textbook to be really helpful

Old 08-25-2012 at 09:43 PM   #5
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherq8 View Post
Hey Keissser!
I know you are extremely smart but realistically speaking, do you really need the textbook?
Because i had Holmes for econ 1b03 last year and I found the textbook to be really helpful
Yo Syed!
You don't need the textbook for this course, you just need to read the notes (the notes are already detailed and organized), print the tutorial workbook and practice examples couple times. Treat the course just like a math course, where the more you take practice, the more you get equipped to earn a high mark! However, it depends on what type of learner you are, if you find you do well on economics by using the textbook, then go for it. Otherwise, my recommendation for you is not to buy the textbook.
Old 01-06-2013 at 09:40 PM   #6
alice09ca

i took this course in last summer, there was a little bit difference, but this course is pretty easy
Old 01-14-2013 at 10:36 PM   #7
mannat.malik

interesting material but depends on the professor
I took this course last term and really enjoyed the course content. However, it was taught by Ivanov and I found it difficult to understand him and to really stay engaged in the class material. As long as you read the textbook and keep up with the content, you should be fine.

Midterms are pretty straight forward with Ivanov. Just make sure you know important terms and how to use the math/calculus he teaches.
Old 01-22-2013 at 10:19 AM   #8
amberlynn93

Does anyone have Holmes notes still? I have McCabe this semester for this course and I am quite lost with his teaching style. I miss Holmes teaching style, but she isnt teaching this semester. If anyone could help me out that would be great! Thanks.
Old 06-08-2013 at 02:02 AM   #9
yueli

Hi, I am looking into Econ2HH3 and Econ2GG3 but there are no reviews for them. Can someone give me an idea of what I am expecting for those courses? I want to pick one of them as a elective, which one is easier?
Thank!
Old 06-10-2015 at 10:56 PM   #10
jhehe

I took this course with SenGupta in a night class. Word of advice: BAIL OUT if you happen to be in her class. Yes, she does hold office hours and tries to answer everyone's questions. The problem is with her teaching.

She speaks pretty slowly and clearly in her teaching. For my class, she had bullet points on her slides and then wrote on them as well as drawing graphs. This makes it a bit challenging to take notes. I did it all by pen and paper capturing the bullet points as well so I didn't rely on her slides studying for the exam. Her teaching style makes it a bit difficult to take notes.

The next issue with her teaching is her tendency to make mistakes. I took this in a night class from 7pm to 10pm at night. It's late and I'm tired so I'm not too keen to spot mistakes. She definitely prepares her lectures and even has a few pages of paper which she refers to when showing us her calculations and such. The problem is she makes mistakes or writes the wrong word/term. If you were to review it at a later date, you'll just have to make an educated guess and assume you are right.

This mistakes concern also extends to her practice problems. Since she never taught this course before, she made questions up on the spot. The problem is her answers tend to be wrong as well. I emailed her on the day of the midterm and she finally made the change to the PDF just hours before the midterm. I didn't know why no one else spotted this. Perhaps they did and just went along with it, I really don't know.
Old 06-14-2015 at 04:55 PM   #11
bae_

Liked: 4 Times
Hi does anyone have a review/experience with this course with Jefferson?
Old 01-14-2016 at 02:05 PM   #12
escape

Liked: 38 Times
Hey guys,

Sorry, this is kinda off-topic but how did you guys study for Dr Khan's courses? I have a hard time following him and he doesn't seem to follow courseware. Is it safe to study off courseware only?

Thanks,

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search