McKay Hall '07 lorend McKay Hall Forum 22 03-25-2008 04:38 AM

Edwards Hall '07

Old 07-20-2007 at 02:14 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

haha.

well, i'm glad your connections can inform the first year students!
Old 07-21-2007 at 01:33 AM   #17
sentunim

Liked: 0 Times

I lived there last year, and the rooms aren't hardwood floored anymore, they must have put carpet over them sometime in the last few years. Anyway, Edwards was a pretty great place. (It was in American Pie five or whatever it is, I never watched it. But meh.)

Yeah third floor was La Maison Française, and yes my roommate was French, and yes I speak French. My neighbour to the left was really into French, the one beside her was French, and then the last person on the hall had an extensive French background, or something of the sort.

Most of the people though, on the third floor at least, weren't really involved in the whole "French" theme of the floor though (as in, they didn't speak French), and there wasn't really anything done with it either. But it was an interesting place considering there were a lot of international students there.

In my group of close friends (5 or 6 people), 4 of them had lived in another country, on 4 continents!
Old 08-08-2007 at 11:19 PM   #18
Elisa A

Liked: 0 Times

Hey so i was wondering, how big are the rooms? it sucks because i'm away and can't see the rooms on the 10th, and so i was wondering i'm prolly gonna bring waaaay too much stuff lol.... any suggestions??
Old 08-09-2007 at 12:08 AM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

well, what all are you planning on bringing?

and have you checked out this article yet? http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1722 2
Old 04-30-2008 at 09:50 PM   #20
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

To give you an idea of how big the rooms are (I lived in Edwards, Rm 113!!): I'm 5'5 and I could lie on the floor with my crown touching one bed and my feet touching the other. Each bed was a single, and from door to window there could fit two and 3/4 of me. I know that's a really bad measurement but I never actually measured, I just got bored one day.

As for La Maison Française you guys are right and it is on the third floor. You don't however have to be or even speak French, in my year no one really spoke French on the floor but everyone would walk around doing the La Maison Française cheer (which includes the stereotypical French-man laugh). I haven't heard anything about it being taken out, I really doubt that they would seeing as it's painted onto the wall on the third floor and Edwards is the International House (that is its theme, you don't have to be an international student to live there).
Old 06-04-2008 at 12:13 PM   #21
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

I noticed that people hardly ever talk about Edwards hall. Is it nice? Is it a boring rez to live in? is there lots of spirit?
Old 06-04-2008 at 12:51 PM   #22
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Oski wee-wee! Oski wah-wah!
Gives us a yell!
A YELL!
A GREAT SUBSTANTIAL YELL!
And when we yell we yell like HELL
And this is what we YELL!
Amen
Amen,
Aman diego, San diego,
Hocus-Pocus just try to choke us!
Raw, Raw, Shish-ka-bob
COME ON EDWARDS! EAT'EM RAW!
EAT'EM RAW, EAT'EM RAW, EAT'EM RAW!

I know that sounds weird, but trust me, when you're doing it with a crap load of other people around you and you're showing up the bigger res it's great. So yes, I'd say Edwards has a ton of spirit.

It's a smaller res so you get to know everyone faster and even if you don't know everyone personally, you will be able to know them by face. I had so much fun in Edwards, the study rooms are great, there was always someone in the games room chilling or playing pool/ the piano, the common room is nice and large for those Greys Anatomy nights! For me, my floor on Edwards was like another home and everyone was always dropping by to say hi!

Last edited by kokosas : 06-04-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: left a line out of the cheer!
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:11 PM   #23
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Edwards is also the closest to the Arts Quad which is rather convenient! =) Yippie!
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:56 PM   #24
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

How big are the rooms in edwards? also, whats the washroom situation like? are they semi private like hedden, or are they like public washrooms? are there bathtubs? do any rooms have attatched bathrooms? thanks!
Old 06-04-2008 at 02:02 PM   #25
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

No, Edwards does not have attached bathrooms, you want Les Prince for that.
The bathrooms are public, there are two large stalls for showering and 3 toilet stalls in the bathrooms.
I never had a problem with having to wait for the shower, at least not longer than 10 minutes. Everyone's day is different and some people shower at night, the middle of the day or in the morning. There are no bathtubs in Edwards.

The rooms are a decent size. With a single bed at each side of the room I could lie down on the groud with my head touching one and my feet touching the other, I'm around 5"5. The closet is also pretty large so a lot of my crap ended up in there. Your stoage is under your bed in edwards which also saves space.

Old 06-10-2008 at 10:57 AM   #26
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

E D W A R D
That is us and who are
Eddie!
Let's get Rowdy!
Whoo!

Also; Have you been To Edward's hall?
Old 06-10-2008 at 01:30 PM   #27
Cubit

Kokosas is right about the room sizes (and the washrooms!), but they vary a bit from room to room, My room was a tad bigger in the width I think, and there were probably a few that were a bit smaller. There are also a couple of freakish rooms of unusual proportions scattered about. I'm not sure any room is exactly the same size.

Have fun in Edwards!
Old 06-15-2008 at 10:26 PM   #28
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Just a question about "La Maison Francaise" ...this was actually my first choice. Although I am not entirely fluent in French, I have a considerable amount of understanding and I one day hope to be fluent. Was this a good choice for me, or will I find myself absolutely lost in comparison to my roommate and/or neighbours?
Old 06-15-2008 at 10:56 PM   #29
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

KaylaMarie,
The third floor of Edwards, La Maison Francaise, is not always 100% French. In my year, 2006, no one spoke French on the floor other than to say the third floor cheer which was "La Maison Francaise, har har har" complete with bad french accent. Do not worry about being overwhelmed with French as the floor is supposed to be both French and English. It's not like you're entering a "French Only Zone" I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Old 06-16-2008 at 10:16 AM   #30
Cubit

The idea is that you get to speak as much or as little french as you like, and La Maison Francais gives you the option of speaking french with other people, since those that apply have expressed the same kind of interests you did.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------