Edwards '09 Chad Edwards Hall Forum 30 08-18-2009 10:50 PM
Edwards '08 Chad Edwards Hall Forum 33 08-23-2008 08:02 AM
Edwards Hall '07 Elisa A Edwards Hall Forum 28 06-16-2008 02:52 PM

Edwards - Introduce yourself!

Old 07-12-2010 at 08:23 AM   #16
Kelsoss

Liked: 0 Times

I'm in 316!
And from what I've heard you don't need to speak French to live on the third floor. We'll be fine.
Old 08-06-2010 at 02:05 PM   #17
malaxelaguim

Liked: 3 Times

I'll be in room 203 - this'll be my second year in Edwards! It's a lovely, charming building with relatively roomy singles (much better than my friends' rooms in other parts of north quad!) and the location is incredibly convenient. It can be a little hot in September/April but even on the third floor last year I was fine with a fan. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Arts and Science & Biology II
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:40 PM   #18
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I was on the third floor in 08/09 -- jhan's roommate, coincidentally -- and there was really no french to speak of at all in the residence. There were a few people who were fluent in French, or had a Quebecois background, but you might be a bit disappointed if you're expecting a Parisian cafe on the third floor. Edwards is definitely the international house though. You'll get to meet the widest variety of people from all parts of the earth. Before I met my roommate, I didn't even know Mauritius existed to be honest, so it's a cool learning experience too. Not sure if its the same way this year, but the 3rd floor tended to be the "quiet floor."

The best thing about Edwards is the room size. As jhan mentioned it's a very old building, and some rooms have different sizes but for the most part Edwards has among the largest double rooms at Mac. You're gonna find that the single rooms appear to be small but that's only in comparison to the adjacent double rooms; the Edwards single rooms are about standard with other Mac single rooms.
Old 08-17-2010 at 10:46 PM   #19
joannet

Liked: 2 Times

Edwards, 212!
Old 08-24-2010 at 04:00 PM   #20
astudent

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Heyyy I'm in Edwards same floor as you room 204 =).
I was in room 205 last year, so i know both 204(same hallway as the CA) and 206(right at the end of the hall) pretty well. You guys are both basically in the south (?) corner. Rooms are pretty big in comparison to other residences. Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:28 PM   #21
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Did anyone live in room 217 or somewhere around there last year? How did you find the room to be? I sort of messed up my aapplication. My roommate and I requested each other but for some reason we got paired with complete strangers. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it but try and get to know the residence. :(.
Old 06-30-2011 at 09:11 AM   #22
chelseac

room 3077777
Old 06-30-2011 at 12:45 PM   #23
larizhou

I will be a first-year life science student at Mac in September. My room number is 214B! Who's my neighbor?
Old 06-30-2011 at 09:56 PM   #24
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Did anyone live in room 217 or somewhere around there last year? How did you find the room to be? I sort of messed up my aapplication. My roommate and I requested each other but for some reason we got paired with complete strangers. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it but try and get to know the residence. :(.
Hey that was my room last year! It's a lot "cozier" then some of the other eddy rooms. It's not laid out like others you might have seen (it's a bit awkward) . I highly suggest before you start to unpack everything that you turn your bed (which is closest to the door) to be against the wall. It REALLY opens the space up and makes the room feel bigger. And depending if you guys get a fridge or not, there will be enough space between the two beds against the wall for it. It's also directly across the hall from the girls bathroom (which was awesome for me and my roommate, but may not be so awesome for you), the boys on 2nd floor is pretty far, there is one on first that is way faster to get to from your room. Edwards Hall is the BEST. Gotta love waking up 5 minutes before class in arts quad and still making it on time :P.
If you have any other questions about the room or Edwards just drop me a line I'm more than happy to answer :)

[Also any other 2010-2011 Eddies floating around here? Awhatup maison mini!]
Old 06-30-2011 at 11:57 PM   #25
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash AhhAhh View Post
Hey that was my room last year! It's a lot "cozier" then some of the other eddy rooms. It's not laid out like others you might have seen (it's a bit awkward) . I highly suggest before you start to unpack everything that you turn your bed (which is closest to the door) to be against the wall. It REALLY opens the space up and makes the room feel bigger. And depending if you guys get a fridge or not, there will be enough space between the two beds against the wall for it. It's also directly across the hall from the girls bathroom (which was awesome for me and my roommate, but may not be so awesome for you), the boys on 2nd floor is pretty far, there is one on first that is way faster to get to from your room. Edwards Hall is the BEST. Gotta love waking up 5 minutes before class in arts quad and still making it on time .
If you have any other questions about the room or Edwards just drop me a line I'm more than happy to answer

[Also any other 2010-2011 Eddies floating around here? Awhatup maison mini!]
Awww. I was hoping the washroom would be close by. XDXD. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as you did! Did you find that the kitchens were used often? I kind of like to cook and I'm hoping it's not too crowded :(, since I hear there's only two kitchens/three floors?
Old 07-01-2011 at 08:55 AM   #26
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Awww. I was hoping the washroom would be close by. XDXD. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as you did! Did you find that the kitchens were used often? I kind of like to cook and I'm hoping it's not too crowded :(, since I hear there's only two kitchens/three floors?
Oh dear, the kitchens. Ok, so in my experience with the kitchens, you stay away from the one on second floor (which is closer but truuuust me) and only use the basement one. The second floor kitchen is pretty skanky, at least last year it was. The stove was pretty gross and worked ok, but because our building didn't have a garbage room like every other rez, people started to just put their garbage in the bins in that kitchen (especially during the winter and exams). It got to the point where the staff just stopped cleaning in there. It got really bad. Now I can't speak for how your group of Eddies will treat it, but if I know first years it will probably happen again. Not to mention the window is broken (not sure if it will be fixed) so it was always cold as f*ck in there. Now the Basement kitchen was pretty decent. The stove tops worked ok (may take a while to boil water, but just bring some textbooks down and catch up on your readings), it was never dirty, didn't smell weird, and right across the hall from a study room with nice chairs. It did sometimes flood a little when it rained, but it was still better than second floor.

The kitchens were usually empty. I only once had to share the stove, and that was at the end of the year. But the nice thing about Edwards is that you get to know EVERYONE (even some of the upper years) so you'll know who you are sharing kitchen space with and be able to have a good time. I wouldn't really recommend baking in those ovens, but apparently out CAs made pizza at one point and it tasted ok so it wont kill you . Oh, and there are fridges in each kitchen, which are nice for temporarily storing stuff you are cooking with, but I wouldn't store stuff in there like it was a personal fridge. Last year some hilarious shenanigans and threats went out to people who were stealing other people's food. good times, gooooooooooooood times.

So cooking is possible, but you'll probably only end up doing it once a week max. Campus food is decent. Bridges is definitely the best option. Don't fight it as it seduces you to have two meals a day there. Just let it happen
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:32 AM   #27
Auror.lah

Liked: 1 Time

I'll be in room 208.

Anybody know what furniture are provided, except for the bed and closet? Do we have to bring our own chairs or shelves?
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:41 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror.lah View Post
I'll be in room 208.

Anybody know what furniture are provided, except for the bed and closet? Do we have to bring our own chairs or shelves?
http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence...Buildings.html

Auror.lah says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-06-2011 at 12:33 PM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror.lah View Post
I'll be in room 208.

Nope, chairs and shelves are available as well a garbage and recycling bin and a few other things in the link above

Auror.lah says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-10-2011 at 05:21 PM   #30
Dumbo

Liked: 7 Times

Are the 300's the top floor? Is there a bathroom and kitchen on that floor?