Edwards '09 Chad Edwards Hall Forum 30 08-18-2009 10:50 PM
Edwards '08 Chad Edwards Hall Forum 33 08-23-2008 08:02 AM
McKay Hall '07 lorend McKay Hall Forum 22 03-25-2008 04:38 AM

Edwards Hall '07

Old 07-14-2007 at 12:21 PM   #1
Elisa A

Liked: 0 Times

Edwards Hall '07
Hey so i'm in Edwards Hall, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like? and maybe what to bring? lol what will i need? ALso, other people who are staying there??
Old 07-14-2007 at 04:19 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa A View Post
Hey so i'm in Edwards Hall, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like? and maybe what to bring? lol what will i need? ALso, other people who are staying there??
Some facts about Edwards Hall for you:
  • Built in 1930, Edwards Hall is one of our oldest Residence Buildings
  • Centrally located on campus, backing onto recreational greenspace
  • Houses 105 men and women on 4 floors
  • Rooms house one (single), two (double) and three (triple) occupants
  • Separate male and female washroom facilities
  • Residents share two large furnished common room/lounges with cable television
  • Also shared are kitchenettes on the second floor and in the basement each with a refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster and kettle (dishes and cutlery not supplied)
  • Laundry facilities, with irons and ironing boards, and study rooms are located in the lower level

Click here to see a photo of what it looks like from the outside

Its right beside the open grassy area, and theres lots of benches around there so it's great for you to go outside and study when its nice out

A typical rooms looks like:

Other things to note:
  • It's one of the smallest rez's on campus
  • It also houses the International House and La Maison Française (you'll meet many different types of people in different cultures)
  • If you live in Edwards - Matthews - McKay - Moulton - Wallingford - Whidden:
    Your heating pipes are located under or around your desk. To help improve heat circulation, try not to cover the grills on top of/under your desk or around your bookshelves. You will also notice better heat flow from the baseboard heater if you pull your bed a few inches from the wall.
  • Edwards Hall does NOT have air conditioning... soooo... make sure to bring a FAN incase things get hot in there!
As for questions... here is an FAQ page you'll find handy. It'll answer most of your questions about rez

PEOPLE YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN MOVING INTO REZ:

House/Community Advisors (HCAs/CAs) are paid part-time employees of the university and are senior full-time students who live on your floor. They are available to help you with whatever questions you might have, provide information on academics and campus issues, and are always available to talk. They are trained in peer helping, understanding issues of diversity, conflict management, and connecting you with campus resources.

House Program Advisors (HPAs) are paid part-time employees of the university and are senior full-time students who live in your building. They have programming responsibilities for your entire building and, along with the HCAs and CAs, help to develop and maintain an environment in your residence where you can learn, grow and succeed at university.

The Inter Residence Council (IRC) members are elected representatives of the residents in each hall who plan activities and programs to help you make connections and to build spirit among all residence students. The IRC also represents the needs of the residents and is consulted by Housing and Conference Services regarding initiatives that will further enhance the residence experience.

Residence Managers are full-time, live-in professional employees of the university who are responsible for the overall management of the residence communities. Whether it’s answering your questions, providing counselling and advice, or working closely with students to manage community living issues, the Residence Managers are available to support your need to succeed in residence at McMaster.

Service Centre Staff are full-time employees of the university and are available 24 hours per day to answer your general questions about the university and Hamilton communities, assist you with keys, take your maintenance requests and monitor the building security systems.
Old 07-14-2007 at 04:49 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I'm planning on writing an article for everyone about what to bring to res...

gimme a week or so and it'll be up. i've got TONS of tips for you.
Old 07-14-2007 at 07:17 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

More factoids:

Edwards Hall
Residence Manager: This position is in the process of being filled at this moment.

Built in 1930, Edwards Hall is one of our oldest Residence BuildingsCentrally located on campus, backing onto recreational greenspaceHouses 105 men and women on 4 floorsRooms house one (single), two (double) and three (triple) occupantsSeparate male and female washroom facilitiesResidents share two large furnished common room/lounges with cable televisionAlso shared are kitchenettes on the second floor and in the basement each with a refrigerator, stove, microwave, toaster and kettle (dishes and cutlery not supplied)Laundry facilities, with irons and ironing boards, and study rooms are located in the lower level

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE provides a lifestyle enhanced by a mosaic of cultures from all over the world. Its unique programming broadens your residence experience with extraordinary dinners, coffee houses, the celebrated World Tour and other social and educational events. International House is a comfortable and friendly living environment that opens your eyes to the world.LA MAISON FRANCAISE provides a unique opportunity to improve your language skills by speaking French on a daily basis and to gain a better understanding of French culture within a close-knit community. We welcome students with knowledge of the French language at any level of proficiency.

Room Features
Rooms include bed, bulletin board, mirror, desk, desk chair and desk lamp or bookcase with light fixture, drapes, garbage can, dresser drawers and/or wardrobe or captain's bed drawers, hardwood flooring, telephone handset, internet and phone service.
Old 07-14-2007 at 08:29 PM   #5
Elisa A

Thanks sooo much, you guys are awesome I'm so pumped for september!!!
Old 07-14-2007 at 08:35 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Its always great to hear somebody thats pumped about coming to Mac!

Glad we could help!
Old 07-15-2007 at 04:50 PM   #7
arctica

I was wondering, which floor is La Maison Francaise?
Old 07-15-2007 at 05:52 PM   #8
Elisa A

i'm pretty sure it's third, but its possible they kind of got rid of that.... becayse my roommate isn't in french, and didn't even apply to get into edwards, i was told they overbooked rez, so i'm not sure whats happening there. are you at edwards too?
Old 07-15-2007
lorend
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-15-2007
rlevitin
Old 07-15-2007
lorend
Old 07-15-2007
rlevitin
Old 07-20-2007 at 09:07 AM   #9
Caitlyn

Hello,

La Maison Francaise is only part of 3rd floor. MOST of the people who asked for it were placed there. That being said, if someone withdrew who asked for it, the person that would replace them most likely would be someone who did not request it...
Old 07-20-2007 at 10:07 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Where'd you find that out, Caitlyn?
Old 07-20-2007 at 01:48 PM   #11
Caitlyn

I have my connections....!