MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biopharm coop!! VoyozooT Academics 6 05-20-2011 06:46 PM
McMaster Coop Imtiaz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-04-2010 10:47 PM
coop interviews precious Academics 19 04-09-2010 01:27 AM
coop interview precious Academics 8 03-16-2010 12:36 AM
Coop Job? ahmed.work Volunteering Opportunities 1 01-04-2010 11:10 PM

EE coop

Old 07-06-2011 at 06:35 AM   #1
Maintain

Liked: 0 Times

EE coop
Hi, Im currently heading into 2nd year Electrical engineering and mangement, and just like most of u, Im worried about my coop oppurtunities after failing to get any responses at all this summer from anyone.

I know everyone says its tough to get a coop job first year from mac, and Im ok with that but I would like to know how many ppl, especially electrical ppl, have landed a coop job in 2nd year, is the rate high or barely anyone?

Lastly since im in management some of my 2nd year electrical courses will be done in 3rd year, does this mean that I can still apply for coop jobs that require 2nd year electrical engineering to be done, or will I still lack necessary knowledge to apply myself in these positions?

Thanks for your time guys.
Old 07-06-2011 at 08:27 AM   #2
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

2nd year was difficult in landing a co-op placement employers won't even look at your resume. Mostly everyone I know in ECE will land a co-op job in their 3rd year. But any sort of prior experience does help, I did an unpaid internship in my 2nd year summer for a start up company, then the next placement is 1000x more better and same goes for pay as well.

There is 4 types of jobs in ECE from what I've seen people getting hired:
power (OPG, hydro one)
digital system design
programming (C, Java, Web, etc)
microelectronics/analog/circuits

In terms of marks, in cycle 1 hiring period, people with 9-11 avg will get a job, very very competitive. in cycle 2, it slows down but not many choices - also some companies hired in late May- June.

People in management will get hired the same way as everyone in ECE, yes you do learn less but it all depends on the job description. If the job requires you know about microelectronic circuit design (3EJ4) then you are out of luck.

Oh yeah, make sure to do a 16 month co-op, as graduating with that experience will mostly likely guarantee a full time position.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 07-06-2011 at 08:35 AM.

RyanC likes this.
Old 07-06-2011 at 10:06 AM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
There is 4 types of jobs in ECE from what I've seen people getting hired:
power (OPG, hydro one)
digital system design
programming (C, Java, Web, etc)
microelectronics/analog/circuits
Don't forget telecomm industry (ROGERS, TELUS, Huawei, RIM, etc...)

Also, marks are only competitive mainly for 2nd/3rd year coop, and not completely either. It all depends on how the interview goes and if you can answer their tough questions.

As for 2nd year coop - you have barely any chance of getting one in ECE. Its tough, but all the 3rd or 4th yr w/mgmt will beat you out of those jobs since they will have more course knowledge under their belt.

Once you finish 3rd year, you will see TONS of opportunities for 16 months. But, since you are a mgmt student, im not sure if you are eligible for a 16-month, so just keep trying for those 4-months...

Good Luck! But don't expect too much from 2nd year...
Old 07-06-2011 at 10:50 AM   #4
gregster

I was in Comp Mgt and did 2nd/3rd/4th year summer co-ops at RIM. I'm not sure how the job market compares today - I had a few interviews in second year and really hit it off with the interviewer for the position I was hired for. I wasn't on the dean's list either.
Old 07-06-2011 at 10:51 AM   #5
gregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
But, since you are a mgmt student, im not sure if you are eligible for a 16-month, so just keep trying for those 4-months...
You definitely are eligible, but have to consider whether you want to take 6 years to complete your degree.
Old 07-06-2011 at 03:46 PM   #6
Maintain

Sigh, Im getting the vibe in ECE jobs are less common than other engineering faculties. I felt like a bum not getting one for first year, im gonna hate not getting one next year too.

When u say 9 - 11 avg usually get the jobs in cycle 1, do u mean for second year? or for 3rd year internships? I think I could pull that off, if second year is anythin like first year
Old 07-06-2011 at 07:55 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Sigh, Im getting the vibe in ECE jobs are less common than other engineering faculties. I felt like a bum not getting one for first year, im gonna hate not getting one next year too.

When u say 9 - 11 avg usually get the jobs in cycle 1, do u mean for second year? or for 3rd year internships? I think I could pull that off, if second year is anythin like first year
Opposite, ECE jobs have the most number of postings.

Don't worry, a 16-month after 3rd year is 100000x better than 4-month after 2nd year. Trust me, the stuff you learn 2nd year is basic... third year is when it gets interesting! (ohh diff amps... how much fun you are)
Old 07-06-2011 at 07:56 PM   #8
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Opposite, ECE jobs have the most number of postings.

Don't worry, a 16-month after 3rd year is 100000x better than 4-month after 2nd year. Trust me, the stuff you learn 2nd year is basic... third year is when it gets interesting! (ohh diff amps... how much fun you are)
You're on your 16-month job placement, right? Are you worried the transition between the workforce and lectures and such will make it difficult to switch back into a school day lifestyle 4th year?
Old 07-06-2011 at 10:02 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
You're on your 16-month job placement, right? Are you worried the transition between the workforce and lectures and such will make it difficult to switch back into a school day lifestyle 4th year?
No because I don't attend lectures regardless. I will chill at home, sleep in late, etc. etc. until Im back in the workplace a year later...

I wake up earlier @ work than I do at school, so if I do decide to attend lectures, it will actually be EASIER :p