MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is Computer Science [coop] at McMaster? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 05-28-2010 10:22 PM
coop interviews precious Academics 19 04-09-2010 01:27 AM
Coop Job? ahmed.work Volunteering Opportunities 1 01-04-2010 11:10 PM
McMaster Coop? nytrogyn General Discussion 11 03-18-2009 08:51 PM
McMaster Engineering - Coop MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-25-2008 08:48 PM

McMaster Coop

Old 09-04-2010 at 09:36 PM   #1
Imtiaz

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster Coop
I'm currently in first year life sciences and would like to know about McMaster's Coop program, can someone please explain the process and if its possible for a first year student to get a coop placement in my case a life science student?
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:07 PM   #2
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

1) Study very hard and get good marks in 1st year
2) Apply to a 2nd year program with possible co-op branching (eg honours chemistry, math etc)
3) Take Science 2C00 2nd year
4) Go through the interview process in spring
5) Continue to study very hard and get good marks in 2nd year
6) ???????? (wait)
7) Profit!

Last edited by Serene : 09-04-2010 at 10:14 PM.

daliwangsun likes this.
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:10 PM   #3
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Profit is always good.

Old 09-04-2010 at 10:10 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiaz View Post
I'm currently in first year life sciences and would like to know about McMaster's Coop program, can someone please explain the process and if its possible for a first year student to get a coop placement in my case a life science student?
Co-op doesn't start until third year. It's only available for certain programs, and Life Sci is not one of them. In second year, you'd take Science 2C00, which is a non-credit course kind of like Careers in high school. Around Jan-Feb, you apply to get into co-op, go for an interview in March-April, and hear back at the end of May.
This is the SCCE website: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scce/
These are the programs with co-op options: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/scc...am-information
I think some of them differ depending on your specialization within the program, but that information doesn't seem to be there any more :S

Edit: According to the course calendar, you must be in one of the two biochem specializations to do biochem co-op--people just in core biochem can't. For chem & physics, it looks like you can only do co-op if you're NOT in a specialization (I remember talking to someone in biophysics who said he'd have to switch into normal physics to do co-op, so that would seem to confirm this). Within the math & stats program, you have to be in either the mathematics specialization, applied mathematics specialization, or statistics specialization to do co-op. I don't think any of the other programs listed have specialization options. The programs a Life Sci student would tend to go into that lead to co-op are ChemBio, BioPharm, Molecular Bio & Genetics, and Biochem.

Last edited by nerual : 09-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:30 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Profit is always good.
Coop job is better.
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:47 PM   #6
Imtiaz

Liked: 1 Time

ok thanks a lots guys