MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Coop Imtiaz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-04-2010 10:47 PM
Engineering level 1 coop timetable review clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-30-2010 04:42 PM
Engineering Coop (some details) kldv Academics 1 06-21-2010 06:00 PM
A Question For Non-Coop 1st Year Engineering Students VastHorizon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-03-2009 05:44 PM
McMaster Coop? nytrogyn General Discussion 11 03-18-2009 08:51 PM

McMaster Engineering - Coop

Old 05-18-2008 at 06:20 PM   #1
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

McMaster Engineering - Coop
After reading the It's Time to Grade McMaster article (http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1798 4) I got a little worried at some of the low scores:

Class sizes C+ Opportunities in classes or labs to acquire work-related knowledge or skills C+ Services for international students C+ Availability of merit-based scholarships C+ Availability of needs-based scholarships/bursaries C+ Overall quality of food services C+ Quality of the food available on campus C+ Variety of meals available on campus C+ Availability of quiet study space C+ Convenience of class scheduling C+ Quality of off-campus housing C Study space C Career placement services C Co-op/internship opportunities C On-campus employment opportunities C Number of healthy meal options available on campus C- Assistance with locating part-time jobs to fund education C- Overall commitment to environmental sustainability C- Availability of organic foods on-campus D Value of food available on campus D
It seem's like McMaster is not a good school to get valuable experience through internships and co-op and even in the school itself ...:toilet0 7:

Comments are appreciated... Thanks !

Last edited by MacEng : 05-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2008 at 07:49 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

C+ is a harder grade to aquire in Engineering than you may think.

Doing well in first year is challenging for most students, and not just engineers...so I wouldn't scoff at those grades if I were you....

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-18-2008 at 08:23 PM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

That's a bunch of BS! In that case, these guys would fail UofT, cause engineering is horrid there from what I heard!
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:06 PM   #4
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
C+ is a harder grade to aquire in Engineering than you may think.

Doing well in first year is challenging for most students, and not just engineers...so I wouldn't scoff at those grades if I were you....
hmmmm did you look at the article? your post is confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
That's a bunch of BS! In that case, these guys would fail UofT, cause engineering is horrid there from what I heard!
hey Kevin! It's CanadaBoy from RFD

fyi that is a general school rating so I am assuming engineering is similar.

btw here is UoT's ranking:

·Research conducted by The Strategic Counsel

·The reputation of your university among employers
·A
·Overall academic reputation of your university
·A
·Faculty members? knowledge of subjects
·A
·Reputation for conducting leading-edge research
·A-
·Reputation for graduate studies
·A-
·Ability of your university to attract top-notch faculty and guest lecturers
·A-
·Online library resources
·A-
·Availability of journals /articles/periodicals
·A-
·Availabilty of public transportation
·A-
·Reputation for undergraduate studies
·A-
·Sense of personal safety/security
·A-
·Access to course/teaching materials online
·A-
·Reputation for high quality teaching
·A-
·Library hours of operation
·B+
·Overall library quality
·B+
·On-campus network for Internet/email
·B+
·Total number of library holdings
·B+
·Computer accessibility on campus
·B+
·Recreational & athletic programs and services
·B+
·Availability of up-to-date computer equipment on campus
·B+
·Tolerance for diverse opinions and ideas
·B+
·Overall quality and availability of technology on campus
·B
·Availability of online course registration
·B
·Quality of teaching
·B
·Number of courses to choose from
·B
·Service provided by library staff
·B
·Overall quality of education received
·B
·Diversity of extra-curricular activities (e.g., clubs)
·B
·On-campus wireless network (e.g., Wi-Fi)
·B
·Attractiveness of your campus
·B
·Availability of quiet study space
·B
·Labs and research equipment
·B
·Study space
·B
·Degree to which you feel your academic experience will prepare you for employment
·B
·Satisfaction with university experience overall
·B
·Availability of faculty to students outside of classroom hours
·B
·Overall quality of on-campus buildings and facilities
·B
·Amount of green space of campus
·B-
·Overall university atmosphere
·B-
·Overall course variety and availability
·B-
·Ease of course registration process
·B-
·Student residences
·B-
·Classrooms/lecture halls
·B-
·Career counselling services
·B-
·Overall quality of career preparation
·B-
·Opportunities for off-campus fun (e.g., bars, social activities)
·B-
·Academic support and counselling
·B-
·Campus bookstore
·B-
·On-campus recruitment fairs and other opportunities to meet employers
·B-
·Availability of up-to-date technology in classrooms
·B-
·Campus medical services
·B-
·Helpfulness of administrative staff
·B-
·Availability of off-campus housing
·B-
·Usefulness of feedback from faculty
·C+
·Space for you to register in courses necessary to complete your degree
·C+
·Quality of academic advising
·C+
·Convenience of class scheduling
·C+
·Career placement services
·C+
·Opportunities in classes or labs to acquire work-related knowledge or skills
·C+
·Services for international students
·C+
·Overall commitment to environmental sustainability
·C
·Class sizes
·C
·Sense of community on campus
·C
·School spirit
·C
·Quality of off-campus housing
·C
·On-campus employment opportunities
·C-
·On-campus pubs/bars
·C-
·Assistance with locating part-time jobs to fund education
·C-
·Affordability of off-campus housing
·C-
·Co-op/internship opportunities
·C-
·Availability of needs-based scholarships/bursaries
·D
·Availability of organic foods on-campus
·D
·Quality of the food available on campus
·D
·Overall quality of food services
·D
·Variety of meals available on campus
·D
·Availability of merit-based scholarships
·D
·Value of food available on campus
·D
·Number of healthy meal options available on campus
·D

Last edited by MacEng : 05-18-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2008 at 09:22 PM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

As far as I could tell from what they told me, the co-op programs at UofT and Mac are very similar. Both offer four month placements as well as a big 16 (maybe 12?) month placement after 3rd year.

Also, I heard that last year McMaster actually had more co-op positions then students that wanted them, so you shouldn't really have any trouble getting a placement.

Its kind of a mystery to me as to why it deserves a C.

And btw your not alone in thinking that lorends post is a tad confusing haha.
Old 05-18-2008 at 10:14 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

yeeeah apparently i can't read.

for some reason i was thinking that was about acceptance INTO co-op programs for grades. and not their availability

kevin100, there is apparently a 50% failure rate for each year of eng at mac (hense the half of you will fail retort to spatula during welcome week)...which is why graduating classes in each disipline are less than 40 students.

so i'm pretty sure eng at mac isn't easy either...

to actually reply...

mac's co-op programs coveted and apparently hard to get into. i know people who are finishing their few months in eng, and some who are finishing or starting their co-ops in business.

but, i'm pretty sure you actually have to go looking for a co-op. at university they don't spoon feed you things in terms of jobs, co-ops, finding help etc, and yet lots of people expect everything to just be dropped into their lap. which is probably why some of the grades at mac aren't so stellar. there are things available, but you need to look.

also, if you're in soc sci/kin/humanities there aren't co-ops or research available (with the exception of a handful of undergrad research projects each summer), and there also aren't opportunities to work with profs as much as in sci/health sci/eng etc.

i don't understand how class sizes at UofT could get a C. some of their classes are 1000 students! and that doesn't count sections of classes!

same with sense of community...everyone i know who lived in res at UofT ended up knowing no one because everyone just stayed in their rooms...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-22-2008 at 12:48 AM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

lol I wouldn't hold Mac to these grades... they aren't always accurate. While they are seen by some as a bit better than the Maclean's rankings, the best way to judge McMaster is to ask students directly (such as posting in this forum) and then going out and doing a bit of research into what really exists out there. Sometimes students don't know about opportunities, and rank a certain option really low... when in reality there was plenty of chances out there offered by Mac that they didn't know existed. One of the reasons why MacInsiders is here, getting the word out about things that you may not have heard of otherwise.

I'm not sure how many Co-Op opportunities Mac offers, but it varies on what program you are in and how many people apply. I've heard that the co-op for business students is really good, especially the MBA program. At the same time, I've heard complaints from students in programs that don't offer co-op
Old 05-24-2008 at 03:11 PM   #8
MacEng

How much money do you make through co-op?

Is it enough to pay for university?
Old 05-24-2008 at 03:27 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Pay for all of university, or a year?

Some of the guys I went to highschool with are on their last couple months, and I think were making 40k for the 16 months.

Old 05-24-2008 at 06:14 PM   #10
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Pay for all of university, or a year?

Some of the guys I went to highschool with are on their last couple months, and I think were making 40k for the 16 months.
Hmmm so these guys did the internship instead of the 4 month x 3 thing?
Old 05-24-2008 at 06:31 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes?

They started last May and go until August

Old 05-25-2008 at 07:17 PM   #12
MacEng

I am assuming they will begin 4th year in September.

Do you know if they had other co-op jobs after first and second year during the four month break?

Because I am wonder if it is possible to do 4 months after first year, 4 months after second year, and 16 months after third year for a total of 24 months experience :o
Old 05-25-2008 at 07:35 PM   #13
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Thats what I would like to do as well....lots of money, and better employment coming out of uni

However, though it is possible, Ive heard its hard to get co-op jobs after first year because at this point you have taken very few technical courses. If you do get a co-op after first year it probably wouldn't be the most enjoyable job either, considering they probably can't, at this point, trust you to do anything related to engineering.

Either way, I will probably still try to go for co-op after first year... the more experience the better
Old 05-25-2008 at 08:48 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

They are in Mech and management (I think), and technically going into their fifth year (so they started summer after fourth).

Unfortunately, until you start getting "up in years" you won't be able to find a good job related to your program. First year is pretty general, so you won't have recieved much (if any) specialized training. However, if you have the option to apply for a co-op...do it. The worst that could happen is you don't get it.