MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2012/2013 MSU President-elect is Siobhan Stewart Chad MacInsiders Announcements 18 02-13-2012 01:06 PM
MSU President-Elect and Referrenda Results lorend MacInsiders Announcements 62 02-07-2011 01:29 PM
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 117 03-08-2010 11:59 PM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM

Elect Jacob Brodka for MSU President

Old 01-26-2014 at 10:46 PM   #61
Jacob Brodka

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooburii: What I see the freedom credit being used for is to get around difficult courses WITHIN your own program
The Freedom Credit option would not be able to be used for mandatory courses, but rather only electives. In regards to some of your other questions about Freedom Credit, I encourage you to check out my latest blog, which answers many common questions and concerns. http://www.brodka14.com/blog.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtongsta: Any chance MSU might work a deal with the new BikeShare that is coming to Hamilton?
I think this is a great idea and something that the MSU along with one of our services, MacCycle, can definitely look into. I would also light to highlight that this sort of idea is something that would fit perfectly into my proposed MSU Idea Forum.
Old 01-26-2014 at 11:00 PM   #62
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Brodka View Post
The Freedom Credit option would not be able to be used for mandatory courses, but rather only electives. In regards to some of your other questions about Freedom Credit, I encourage you to check out my latest blog, which answers many common questions and concerns. http://www.brodka14.com/blog.html
Thanks for your response. I'm still not convinced that a freedom credit is the answer to getting students to take courses outside of their program area. A big issue is the number of courses "closed" to students from other programs.
Old 01-27-2014 at 12:36 AM   #63
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Nice skirting of all the controversial questions Jacob.
Old 01-27-2014 at 12:46 AM   #64
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

is ooburii / Abir A.
on Saull's campaign team btw?
Old 01-27-2014 at 12:52 AM   #65
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
And how is that abusing the system?
Abuse was the wrong word. I meant to say it would make things easier on an already easy program. Can't vote for this freedom thing.
Old 01-27-2014 at 12:54 AM   #66
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Nice skirting of all the controversial questions Jacob.
To be fair, sticking your toes in this thread is risky enough. Don't want to get embroiled in a battle of wits with the witless, would we?

But people who sign up for MI accounts just to advertise their campaign can only be expected so much from in the first place.

Watoko likes this.
Old 01-27-2014 at 01:21 AM   #67
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
is ooburii / Abir A.
on Saull's campaign team btw?
Nope, he may have the same major but I wouldn't support a candidate simply on the basis of that.
I'm still undecided.
Old 01-27-2014 at 07:55 AM   #68
Jacob Brodka

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal: I suggest you start an official suggestions page or something so that students can make suggestions and vote on other students' suggestions. There has always been a disconnect between the MSU and the students, that would probably help with that.
This is exactly what my MSU Idea Forum and Participatory Project Budget is designed to do. It is based off of existing models used at other schools that have managed to engage far more students than general meetings or social media posts have been able to do. Students are the ones with the ideas and often solutions, which is why I feel strongly about providing an opportunity to not only submit and comment on ideas, but also deicide on which you want to see implemented.

Quote:
Originally posted by ooburii: A big issue is the number of courses "closed" to students from other programs.
As you mentioned, not all courses will be able to be opened to all students. However, based off of previous models, faculties have been very receptive to allowing a large number of courses to be taken. For example, in the first year University of Toronto launched its pass/fail option, all first year courses and numerous upper year courses could be taken.
Old 01-27-2014 at 07:20 PM   #69
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

I would like to be allowed to strut around nude on campus. I have tried this several times and have been arrested in each instance. McMaster is not nudist friendly and my rights are being infringed upon. Will you correct this if I vote for you, Jacob?
Old 01-27-2014 at 08:04 PM   #70
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
I would like to be allowed to strut around nude on campus. I have tried this several times and have been arrested in each instance. McMaster is not nudist friendly and my rights are being infringed upon. Will you correct this if I vote for you, Jacob?
Unfortunately your out of luck, thats a Hamilton by-law, nothing the MSU can do to change that.
Old 01-28-2014 at 02:19 PM   #71
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinbf View Post
Unfortunately your out of luck, thats a Hamilton by-law, nothing the MSU can do to change that.
Like hell there isnt. A student at York had the government backing him when he didnt want to work with girls as it was against his beliefs. If a student believes in being a nudist, how is the university saying no to him any different than the previously stated situation.
Canada is becoming well known for bending over and taking it in the ass when it comes to people forcing their beliefs on the rest of the general population. I say you walk in the nude on campus and make a national headlines when the university oppresses your beliefs!
Old 02-18-2014 at 01:56 AM   #72
jimmyjjohn

Liked: 0 Times

That's a lot for having great experiences on campus.

Not everyone who busts their back in a warehouse gets the same benefits.