MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
Mary Koziol & Vishal Tiwari: MSU Presidential Controversy? Purgatory99 Presidentials 2010 46 02-19-2010 06:52 PM
Mary Koziol Chad Presidentials 2010 99 02-04-2010 08:07 AM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM
SRA Meeting To Elect MSU VP's! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-06-2008 08:31 PM

Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect

After a long day's worth of ballot counting and votes from 22% of the student population, the results are in and it's

Mary Koziol!

The Coca-Cola referendum results have yet to be determined and will be posted as soon as they are available.

The following outlines the results. Counting was done through the preferrential voting method.

finklej, Nino, Phoenix, Tailsnake all say thanks to temara.brown for this post.

Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 02-05-2010 at 05:09 PM   #2
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times
I only followed this with the info from MacInsiders... but this isn't at all what I expected..

ytpos likes this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:15 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
w00t!

Congrats Mary (and her campaign team)!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:26 PM   #4
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times
Congrats to Mary and all candidates and their teams. It's a rough 3 weeks for all of those involved - enjoy Charity Ball and get some rest!

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:31 PM   #5
dkdk

Liked: 11 Times
It just shows that Macinsiders may not be a good measure of the pulse of the campus.

Old 02-05-2010
frhnh
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-05-2010 at 05:38 PM   #6
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Stepping out of the MSU office about 15 minutes ago, I felt like I just left a strange world... a world where the concept of time did not exist and all thoughts in the mind were created from a monotoneous AEKKP sound, repeatedly and repeatedly until words became mere syllables.

I would like to say that the ballot counting went very clean and everyone was in good spirit throughout the night and day. It was a great experience with a great outcome.

My congradulations go out to Mary, her supporters, and to all students of Mac!

Also, a thank you goes out to all the candidates for their great efforts in this election.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 02-05-2010 at 06:23 PM.

lorend says thanks to Alvand for this post.

lorend likes this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:39 PM   #7
DavidR

So when's the first recount?

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:44 PM   #8
akhtaa2

Liked: 5 Times
Chyeeeaaahhhh Boiiii

Nino likes this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:45 PM   #9
Alvand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
So when's the first recount?

There is no need for a recount. All the ballots were counted systematically and effectively. All of us as a team were on top of things the whole time.

MacTV Executive Producer

McIntyre, Nino, scrambles like this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:49 PM   #10
Alvand

I would also like to say that the voter turnout has increased quite a bit from last year. This year saw 4365 undergraduate students hit the polls to vote for their future MSU President- an increase from 12.5% last year to just under 23.5%. Is that great or what!

MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 02-05-2010 at 06:00 PM.

mlangille, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:57 PM   #11
JillfromChil

Liked: 0 Times
What do you guys think caused the increased turnout? More advertising for candidates?

Old 02-05-2010 at 05:58 PM   #12
DavidR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
There is no need for a recount. All the ballots were counted systematically and effectively. All of us as a team were on top of things the whole time.
I was just making a joke, but that is good to hear.

Alvand says thanks to DavidR for this post.

Old 02-05-2010 at 06:17 PM   #13
Alvand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillfromChil View Post
What do you guys think caused the increased turnout? More advertising for candidates?
I think the increase in turnout for one comes from candidates engaging students to want to vote. Candidates had great platforms, reached out to students, and actively promoted themselves and their fellow candidates throughout the campaign period.

Also, campus media did great jobs following the election period. The Sil had published articles promoting and summarizing the MSU Presidential election during the campaign period. MacInsiders was also excellent in giving candidates and students an avenue to express their thoughts on the electoral process. Important to note too, that this year the Elections Committee allowed candidates to campaign on Facebook. This had a profound effect on student's awareness of the election. Also, all candidates had websites that explained their platform points and what kind of person they were like.

It is very worthy to note the GREAT job the Election Committee did, especially the Chief Returning Officer Jon Sheiding and the Deputy Returning Officer Nick Shorten in executing a flawless campaign. Debates were active well attended, day-to-day activities during the election period went well, and polling stations ran smoothly. Their hard work and leadership had a direct effect on the success of this election.

Most importantly, YOU caused the increased turnout. You were active in finding out information on candidates, talking about the election to friends, and scheduling time to go vote. And for that, I applaud you.

MacTV Executive Producer

lorend, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 02-05-2010 at 06:17 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Congrats, Mary! I'm glad the number of voters went up as well, 12.5% last year was just.. horrible. So for it to almost double in one year is great!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search