MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
First Blog as President-Elect mkozi MacInsiders Announcements 6 04-24-2010 03:30 PM
Mary Koziol & Vishal Tiwari: MSU Presidential Controversy? Purgatory99 Presidentials 2010 46 02-19-2010 06:52 PM
Mary Koziol Chad Presidentials 2010 99 02-04-2010 08:07 AM
President-Elect Barack Obama on American Jobs Chad Politics 0 11-14-2008 04:00 PM
SRA Meeting To Elect MSU VP's! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-06-2008 08:31 PM

Mary Koziol Is the New MSU President-Elect

Old 02-06-2010 at 08:19 AM   #45
InYoutoGive

Liked: 41 Times
The bubble? Are you kidding me? Oh, the poor first years have to take a bus downtown... my soul weeps.

It's laziness, plain and simple. I took a trip to the market in Jackson Square yesterday, and it is far, far, far better, with far more selection, and at a much better price than anything the MSU could muster on campus. The bus was only 15 minutes either way, it's easy to find if you spend about 5 minutes with the bus schedule and Google maps, and there's no hookers or gangs or whatever the hell everyone else thinks there is in downtown Hamilton.

Again, this brings me back to the privileged yuppie point, which is why I think she won based on fluff, rather than a meaty platform like Ashkan, or Kieran. Democracy 'works', but, unfortunately, it also means we're going to spend $700 in fees next year to chase a pipe dream.

Old 02-06-2010 at 08:34 AM   #46
PolSci_Mike

Liked: 1 Time
'Express line at union market is still the stupidest idea ever."

[email protected] i love when people think it's a word

The market that we would have on campus would be nothing compared to going downtown. Yes, convenience is nice, that's why we have several buses that go into campus and take you right downtown. This is similar to Casey's ridiculous point about fixing the transit system. Everyone needs to stop 1. complaining about unnecessary things and 2. wasting the school's money when it's pointless/unable to be fixed

Old 02-06-2010 at 09:21 AM   #47
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolSci_Mike View Post
'Express line at union market is still the stupidest idea ever."

[email protected] i love when people think it's a word
Better send an email to the people at Oxford Dictionaries lol'ing at them:

stupid
• adjective (stupider, stupidest) 1 lacking intelligence or common sense. 2 informal used to express exasperation or boredom: your stupid paintings! 3 dazed and unable to think clearly.

EDIT

...and the American Heritage Dictionary too.

Last edited by reeves : 02-06-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Old 02-06-2010 at 09:35 AM   #48
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times
dictionaries have recently deemed it passable, and the oxford dictionary has also decided to include "slang" words, so your point isn't exactly valid

anything that ends in "id" is never followed by -est or -er it is proceeded buy more or most. it still isn't "correct" english, just modified by the wide incorrect usage of it.

but i don't think that was his point.........

Mary's campaign might not be what everyone agrees on, but the majority did vote for her. I think she'll do a good job, and I hope she keeps in contact with the other candidates to help her make Mac better

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:11 AM   #49
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree_21 View Post
dictionaries have recently deemed it passable, and the oxford dictionary has also decided to include "slang" words, so your point isn't exactly valid

anything that ends in "id" is never followed by -est or -er it is proceeded buy more or most. it still isn't "correct" english, just modified by the wide incorrect usage of it.

but i don't think that was his point.........

Mary's campaign might not be what everyone agrees on, but the majority did vote for her. I think she'll do a good job, and I hope she keeps in contact with the other candidates to help her make Mac better
interesting avi, you look a lot like Caitlin Chesky from Texas State.

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:20 AM   #50
Ender

Liked: 30 Times
Congratulations to Mary Koziol. I just now read her platform and it seems good. Hopefully some of it actually gets implemented.

On a side note. For voting why not have a website to vote. Each student enters in they student #/macid and votes. Also maybe an email through MUSS about election days just as a reminder? I'm sure this has been thought of before.

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:25 AM   #51
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Congratulations to Mary Koziol. I just now read her platform and it seems good. Hopefully some of it actually gets implemented.

On a side note. For voting why not have a website to vote. Each student enters in they student #/macid and votes. Also maybe an email through MUSS about election days just as a reminder? I'm sure this has been thought of before.
The MSU has been looking into online voting for some time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:32 AM   #52
Ender

Liked: 30 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
The MSU has been looking into online voting for some time.
Thats good to hear. Maybe it will be implemented along side with the 'rebirth' of the MSU website.

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:46 AM   #53
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
As for the stupider / stupid / stupidest debate - the dictionary changing to accommodate 'slang' words makes them words. It's not an excuse or something - if the dictionary says stupidest is a word, it is, even if it seems grammatically incorrect to you, oh master of English.

The language is changing - get over it. Google is a word, isn't it? Or do you go around laughing at people who use it as a verb because, 'even though it's in the dictionary, it's not a real word!!1!!!!1'

Old 02-06-2010 at 10:51 AM   #54
KN1991

Liked: 52 Times
voting online would be sooo much easier!!

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:05 AM   #55
michelle

Liked: 61 Times
I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist about what she's promised to do. Realistically, do MSU Presidents ever follow through on their big campaign promises?

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:14 AM   #56
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Express line at union market is still the stupidest idea ever.
I believe it is a great idea, one that is easily executable and has direct results. There are two cashiers at UM. During rush periods (mornings, between classes), one cashier would be dedicated to cash transactions, while the other would be dedicated to debit/visa transactions. This would greatly cut down the line because when you get a couple people using debit/visa, they really hold back the line. Also, the majority of people pay with cash, so you can serve the most amount of people the most efficiently. And if it happens that the cash-transaction cashier isn't serving anyone, someone who is paying debit/credit can use that cashier. It's simple and implementable!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Nosh likes this.

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:19 AM   #57
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Its also relatively unimportant compared to the multitude of actual problems that face students at this school.

ytpos likes this.

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:24 AM   #58
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
What does UM sell that La Piazza doesn't? If you have cash, why not go to La Piazza? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought they sold all the same stuff.

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:24 AM   #59
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I believe it is a great idea, one that is easily executable and has direct results. There are two cashiers at UM. During rush periods (mornings, between classes), one cashier would be dedicated to cash transactions, while the other would be dedicated to debit/visa transactions. This would greatly cut down the line because when you get a couple people using debit/visa, they really hold back the line. Also, the majority of people pay with cash, so you can serve the most amount of people the most efficiently. And if it happens that the cash-transaction cashier isn't serving anyone, someone who is paying debit/credit can use that cashier. It's simple and implementable!
And how does a cashier dedicated to debit/visa benefit anyone? That line will move horrendously slow, while the other moves quickly. Whats wrong with everyone having to wait an equal amount of time? Should someone be "penalized" because they don't want to pull out a $20 to buy a $1-2 pop between classes?

We're all in the same boat in terms of getting to classes, and people shouldn't be coerced into pulling out more money form the bank for the sake of a few seconds in line.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search