MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy first year elective Katelyn999 Academics 12 07-17-2010 12:00 PM
Easy First Year Elective caitygambi Academics 1 06-25-2010 08:43 PM
First Year Eng. Elective? What was yours? blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 44 05-17-2010 02:02 PM
Second Year Life Sci Elective jaucep Academics 2 12-12-2009 08:57 AM
Second year elective - Engineering viky General Discussion 1 06-20-2009 10:01 AM

elective course for the first-year??

Old 06-09-2010 at 10:17 AM   #1
Sandra Shan

Liked: 0 Times

elective course for the first-year??
I am an international student. Should I take RELIG ST 1J03 as my elective course in my freshmen year? My English is not so good.Do you have any advice?
LINGUST?or ENVIR SC?or ...?
any help would be appreciated! Thnx!
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:46 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

My roommate was an international student as well, and she was still working on her English. But she took Linguistics 1A03 in term 1 and did well in it. Maybe someone can give you more information about the course work?
Old 06-09-2010 at 11:20 AM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

My friend took linguistics, and he said it was insanely easy, and rightfully so because he got a 12 in it.
ENVIR SCI seems to be a tiny bit of work
and i have no idea about religious studies.
Personally, if you want a good solid bird course, linguistics should be good.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-09-2010 at 12:11 PM   #4
TeleKey

Hey,
This is more a general question about electives and SOLAR
If I take Math1LS3 hoping to get a 10 or above in first sem on SOLAR... can I on SOLAR then register for Math 1AA3 or will have to take Math 1LT3 because I took 1LS3 in prev. semester????

Thanks ~
Old 06-09-2010 at 12:47 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleKey View Post
Hey,
This is more a general question about electives and SOLAR
If I take Math1LS3 hoping to get a 10 or above in first sem on SOLAR... can I on SOLAR then register for Math 1AA3 or will have to take Math 1LT3 because I took 1LS3 in prev. semester????

Thanks ~
For now, you can select courses for Term 2 even if you're not sure you'll be able to pass the prerequisite course in Term 1. This is because you can still change your courses at the end of Term 1 for Term 2. That might be confusing, so just let me know if you need me to clarify. :] I'm not really sure about your question though, is Math 1LT3 an antirequisite for 1AA3? (That means, if you take 1LT3, you're not allowed to take 1AA3.)

As for Linguistics 1A03/1AA3 - your English doesn't need to be amazing, but it does help with distinguishing English sounds and whatnot. There are weekly assignments, frequent quizzes, a midterm and a final. You should be fine. I was like one mark away from a 12, but I went to every class and completed all the work.
Old 06-09-2010 at 07:19 PM   #6
Sandra Shan

LINGUST sounds great~!
how about these courses? i have to choose one from the list. which one is less demanding for English? Many thanks!
3- 6 units
Course list 1 below
Course List 1
GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), 1HB3
HLTH AGE 1BB3 (GERONTOL 1A03)
PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03)
SOCIOL 1A06
Old 06-09-2010 at 08:29 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

In terms of English I don't recommend Psych 1X03.
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:28 PM   #8
TeleKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
For now, you can select courses for Term 2 even if you're not sure you'll be able to pass the prerequisite course in Term 1. This is because you can still change your courses at the end of Term 1 for Term 2. That might be confusing, so just let me know if you need me to clarify. :] I'm not really sure about your question though, is Math 1LT3 an antirequisite for 1AA3? (That means, if you take 1LT3, you're not allowed to take 1AA3.).
Yea, 1LT3 is an antirequisite to 1AA3 - but you pretty much summed up everything up for me with your first sentence
Thanks~
Old 06-09-2010 at 11:54 PM   #9
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Shan View Post
LINGUST sounds great~!
how about these courses? i have to choose one from the list. which one is less demanding for English? Many thanks!
3- 6 units
Course list 1 below

Course List 1
GEOG 1HA3 (or GEO 1HS3), 1HB3
HLTH AGE 1BB3 (GERONTOL 1A03)
PSYCH 1X03 (or 1A03)
SOCIOL 1A06
I don't recommend Anthro, Poli Sci, Religious Studies, or Sociology... those are essay intensive.
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:47 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Yeah, if you're not so good in English, avoid basically everything in the Humanities, and a good bit of the social sciences. They'll get you for grammar, even if your argument is good.

Psych is good, it is very interesting. Most of the content is in online modules, which are oral but have the transcript right next to the video, so you can rely on both skills. The LEarning Lab is also veyr open for any questions and they are happy to clear things up if you need help.

I'm not sure what faculty your in/where you come from, but Bio 1P03 is supposed to be very easy if you've taken gr 12 Bio, same for Phys 1L03 and gr. 12 physics.

Enviro sci is a popular elective (essp. in science). Astro 1F03 is also popular, it's more on the math-side, so you should be okay if you;re worried about your English.

Last edited by britb : 06-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2010 at 09:58 PM   #11
mac-sci

My roommate, also an international student, took Geography 1HA3 and she did well in it. There was.. I believe 1 essay/research project but with enough help and proofreading and such, she did well in the course overall.
Old 06-10-2010 at 10:27 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I wouldn't recommend Psych 1X03 because a lot of students expressed that the midterm was more a test of being able to read the question than applying their understanding of the material.

That being said, some people do extremely well under pressure and if you'd like to improve your English, you may want to consider taking some more challenging courses but that's completely based upon how you learn.

The Center for Student Development offers support for ESL students; even if English may not be your second language, they still might be able to help you out. Readings and essays, especially with Social Science and Humanities courses, is vital to doing well but you have a lot of support resources available to help you succeed .

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Sandra Shan likes this.
Old 06-11-2010 at 12:50 AM   #13
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I wouldn't recommend Psych 1X03 because a lot of students expressed that the midterm was more a test of being able to read the question than applying their understanding of the material.

That being said, some people do extremely well under pressure and if you'd like to improve your English, you may want to consider taking some more challenging courses but that's completely based upon how you learn.

The Center for Student Development offers support for ESL students; even if English may not be your second language, they still might be able to help you out. Readings and essays, especially with Social Science and Humanities courses, is vital to doing well but you have a lot of support resources available to help you succeed .
Psych was not a bird course, at all. Don't bother with it if you're looking to breeze through your courses. You have to put in too much effort to get a mark that you didn't really want.
Old 06-11-2010 at 04:24 AM   #14
Sandra Shan

But it is said that environment science is a bit boring.
Thanks everyone . I just dont wanna fail in my first year.
i will defenitely work hard on english! uha!
Old 06-11-2010 at 10:11 AM   #15
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Shan View Post
But it is said that environment science is a bit boring.
Thanks everyone . I just dont wanna fail in my first year.
i will defenitely work hard on english! uha!
Good luck