MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM
Help with Electives precious Academics 6 12-25-2009 07:11 AM
Which electives did you want? mcinside Academics 543 09-14-2009 05:34 PM
Electives help! jade177 Academics 8 11-30-2008 06:25 PM
electives jade177 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-25-2008 10:02 AM

what electives do i take?

Old 07-04-2009 at 02:56 PM   #1
mehtad5

Liked: 0 Times

what electives do i take?
hey

I am going into first year engineering and was wondering which electives to take that can help my average.

I hear that the economics courses (1B03, 1BB3) are good for improving your average but I didnt take any economics courses in high school and im nervous if I'll b able to handle them (and also I hear that they require a lotta reading).

can someone please advice me about this stuff??

thanx
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:30 PM   #2
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Econ 1B03 and 1BB3 are not particularly entertaining, and end up being the kind of classes that you do badly in because you're too bored to go to lecture, and then bomb the exams/tests because you've absorbed next to nothing of the course material (or so i hear). Many engineers take them because they want to keep the option of Management open for upper years.

Unless you're considering that or have a deep interest in economics, I'd suggest you take electives that interest you, because you are more likely to do well in them.

mehtad5 says thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:56 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Language courses are relatively easy to do well in. I've heard that if you have at least grade 9 French, you can pretty easily attain a 12 in a certain level one 6 unit French course (sorry, I've forgotten which one :p).

mehtad5 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:23 PM   #4
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

econ courses do require lot of reading but they are very easy and not too stressful...but the boring part is only for some people...i mean obviously it depends from person to person as to which subject they hhave interest in!! do u want to keep the option of management open for the 2nd year?if yes then you have to go with them, if no then you don't have to...but personally i enjoy such courses and also i would like to keep tht option open!!if you hate econ and hav no interest in it watsoever thendefinitely don't take it as i've heard people say tht their average goes down bcoz of it....but i u hav interest in it and only dread the fact tht it has a lot of reading then i say go for it!

mehtad5 says thanks to kanishka for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 04:31 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelk View Post
If you hate econ and have no interest in it whatsoever, then definitely don't take it, as I've heard people say that their averages go down because of it....but if you are interested in it, and only dread the fact that it has a lot of reading, then I'd say go for it!
It's true. One of my friends is pretty bright, but he screwed up the macro econ course pretty bad since he didn't find the material interesting.

Old 07-04-2009 at 04:58 PM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeepanshu90 View Post
hey

I am going into first year engineering and was wondering which electives to take that can help my average.

I hear that the economics courses (1B03, 1BB3) are good for improving your average but I didnt take any economics courses in high school and im nervous if I'll b able to handle them (and also I hear that they require a lotta reading).

can someone please advice me about this stuff??

thanx

Both Econ classes are a bit dry (Economics in general is). That being said, if you manage to stay awake long enough to grasp the lectures and the readings, they are fairly simple, and you should do well in them.

I still consider those two econs to be two of the easiest courses in University, but if you don't enjoy it, you won't have the drive to do well in them.

One last thing, don't worry that you didn't taking economics in high school, these classes are meant for people who have never taken economics, and they explain everything from the beginning.

mehtad5 says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 06:09 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I took Geo 1HB3 and History 1BB3 in first year eng as my electives and got fairly good marks in both.

The material in Geo was really easy and there wasn't to much reading. I remember we had about 5-7 assignments some as easy as a 1/2 page paper and some as time consuming as going to University Plaza, Limridge Mall and Jackson Square to create a simple map of the area and field notes as well as hand in a 12 page report but this done in a group of 4-5.

My second elective History 1BB3 was a nightmare lol. Lectures were so bad that almost half the class just dropped it within a day or two and the tutorials were about 5-7 of us just talking about the weeks readings, so you really had to read the textbook which was almost impossible at times. I regret taking this course even though it was relatively easy...

Last edited by Bender : 07-04-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2009 at 10:18 PM   #8
mehtad5

does anybody think that anthropology is an easy elective?

how about peace studies, polotical science or theatre&film???
Old 07-04-2009 at 10:24 PM   #9
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

You can refer to these reviews for each of these courses:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1830 3
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1927 4
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2113 9
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1850 5

Hope this helps!

mehtad5 says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 10:25 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:

I heard from a housemate last year that political science is a really boring course; didn't comment on the easiness though.

One of my friends had anthropology last year, and he got a 12 while nearly in a comatose state. He's really smart though, so I don't know :p

Old 07-05-2009 at 10:21 AM   #11
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I heard from a housemate last year that political science is a really boring course; didn't comment on the easiness though.

One of my friends had anthropology last year, and he got a 12 while nearly in a comatose state. He's really smart though, so I don't know :p

Anthro 1A03 isn't hard to do well in, in a comatose state. We spent several lectures discussing the practice of buying wives with yams in some cultures, and the intricacies of family relationships. The material might have been interesting if not presented in a three hour night class, who knows?

On another note, are you Dillon Dixon, ex-resident of 28 Dromore?

EDIT: I'm not a creepy stalker, you just happened to live with two of my best friends, and I think I remember you...

Last edited by Geek : 07-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.

mehtad5 says thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 11:35 AM   #12
mehtad5

is it a lotta work?? cause I will have a lotta courseload of my mandatory courses and i want my electives to b easy on the amount of work..
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:15 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
On another note, are you Dillon Dixon, ex-resident of 28 Dromore?

EDIT: I'm not a creepy stalker, you just happened to live with two of my best friends, and I think I remember you...
Ya, that was me, lol. I remember you were friends with Matt.

I never really got to know anyone well there :p.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:31 PM   #14
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Yeah living with randoms must have been sucky. Especially when they're as weird as Matt, and throw Stuff My Taco parties..

Last edited by Geek : 07-05-2009 at 02:38 PM.