MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives Prabh Academics 2 06-18-2010 12:20 AM
Official Strike Combat Strategy deadpool General Discussion 22 11-04-2009 10:43 PM
Which electives did you want? mcinside Academics 543 09-14-2009 05:34 PM
what electives do i take? mehtad5 General Discussion 13 07-05-2009 02:31 PM
Electives help! jade177 Academics 8 11-30-2008 06:25 PM

Electives Strategy

Old 07-08-2009 at 08:54 AM   #16
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It's true that you should take related subjects, but doesn't taking interesting subjects make you seem more well-rounded for grad schools. As in, you have other interests BESIDES that one subject?

Personally if I was a member of the admissions committee, I would see it as a positive aspect.
It depends on what grad school you're going for. When you look for supervisors in your last year, if you've taken a bunch of courses like gemstones, explorers and adventurers ... then it's kind of irrelevant if you want to do your M.Sc. on the physiology of ion channels during hypoxic conditions (just as an example ).

When I was looking for a supervisor this year, my thesis prof said that he didn't care about the marks from some of my courses (mostly the psychs) as they weren't relevant to the research. He's also avoided choosing certain candidates with a high GPA, but nothing but "fluff" courses.

I think the key is balance. Sure, you should take courses from topics that interest you but avoid consistently taking "bird" courses just for the sake of boosting your GPA. The profs know which courses have that reputation, especially if they've done their undergrad at McMaster.

.:callen:., mcinside, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:22 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Ohh I never thought of it that way. In fact, I completely forgot about the Honours thesis =$. Thanks for the heads up. But I don't think taking ALL your courses/electives on one topic is the best thing to do either?
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:27 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

No, you'd definitely get bored. Take courses that interest you. It gets more difficult in upper years because the prerequisites can become very specific though.

For example: Psych 4Y03 (About neurotransmitters and hormones) requires Psych 3M03.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:50 PM   #19
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
No, you'd definitely get bored. Take courses that interest you. It gets more difficult in upper years because the prerequisites can become very specific though.

For example: Psych 4Y03 (About neurotransmitters and hormones) requires Psych 3M03.
Thanks a lot! I'll keep that in mind!