MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non-mac students allowed at ww concert alyciag First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-24-2010 06:42 PM
no modification allowed for certain course? hilaryn Academics 6 08-11-2010 12:11 PM
Is this allowed? aaront General Discussion 32 04-06-2010 06:36 PM
skateboards allowed? neff First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-27-2008 08:12 PM

Electric Kettle in rez allowed?

Old 08-20-2008 at 08:32 PM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Electric Kettle in rez allowed?
See subject, is it allowed?

Old 08-20-2008 at 08:42 PM   #2
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

Well....its not supposed to be allowed in your room. You can bring one and use it in the common room - but i know lots of people who used it in their rooms. As long as it doesn't set off your room's smoke alarm and your CA's dont find out - or are amazing CA's who don't care - then you can get away with it in your room. I've used one in my room - and will probably use it again this year (shhh)

Things like a hot plate or microwave though are DEFINATELY NOT ALLOWED!!
Old 08-20-2008 at 09:53 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

The kettle is technically against the rules, but I did it and a lot of people do. If you're going to do it be careful, although if your CA see's it they might tell you to take it home.

Old 08-21-2008 at 12:16 AM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

Just make sure you put it in your closet or whatever when you leave for Christmas break. In my building at least, and I'm assuming all buildings, the Res Manager went through all of the rooms after move out to make sure that everything was unplugged, etc. If you leave 'illegal' stuff out in the open when the RM comes, you'll probably have it confiscated//need to take it home.

Also, there was a kettle provided in the kitchenette of the floor, but you may want to have your own as well.
Old 08-21-2008 at 10:42 AM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah13 View Post
Just make sure you put it in your closet or whatever when you leave for Christmas break. In my building at least, and I'm assuming all buildings, the Res Manager went through all of the rooms after move out to make sure that everything was unplugged, etc. If you leave 'illegal' stuff out in the open when the RM comes, you'll probably have it confiscated//need to take it home.

Also, there was a kettle provided in the kitchenette of the floor, but you may want to have your own as well.

Really!? Are the RM even allowed to DO that?

Old 08-21-2008 at 11:30 AM   #6
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

They are allowed to do it and they do do it in every res. They just look at the open area of the room, they don't look in any drawers or closets. They're just checking to make sure that things are unplugged and that the windows are closed. Just general things like that.
Old 08-22-2008 at 01:25 AM   #7
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yup, what Alyssa said. Usually someone from Facilities comes around with them, too - it's mostly just a safety check.

And as an aside, legally I think RMs may actually have the right to search through any university-owned property - as in, drawers in the desk, the closet, etc., but not inside a box that you brought. I know this is definitely the case in some places, but I'm actually not sure about Ontario. Not that they would ever do that without a good reason if they were entitled to, but it's actually something that I wondered about when I was a CA and never got a definitive answer on.

Hey Sabrina, maybe you could ask around the Security office, it's got me wondering again :p
Old 08-22-2008 at 01:53 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

So, safest bet would be to put the said item in a box or suitcase you brought?
Old 08-22-2008 at 10:47 AM   #9
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

I had an electric kettle and I just kept it in a drawer and nobody ever told me to get rid of it. So I'm pretty sure that they'll only look in a drawer or closet if they have a really good reason to, but if you want to be super safe than that probably would be your best bet.
I also had a blender in one of my drawers which nobody said anything about either.
Old 08-23-2008 at 06:12 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

how big were your drawers, or how small were your appliances?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2008 at 08:34 PM   #11
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

The drawers were pretty big. The kettle was a small one but the blender was a normal sized blender.
Old 08-25-2008 at 05:43 PM   #12
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

is bringing an electric kettle necessary? I mean for things like coffee..can't you just use tap water?? I heard that Hamilton tap water is safe...not sure though
Old 08-25-2008 at 06:05 PM   #13
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I don't think it's necessary, but I'll be sneaking one in so I can eat cup noodles late at night when everything's closed.
Old 08-25-2008 at 06:05 PM   #14
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Haha, people aren't boiling the water to make it safe for drinking, they're probably boiling it to make tea

Hamilton tap water is actually really good - a few years ago the newspaper here did a blind taste-test of the municipal water of something like 5 of the big Ontario cities, and Hamilton won. So don't worry about that!
Old 08-25-2008 at 06:05 PM   #15
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Ya you can use the sink water but it won't be a hot coffee. The traditional reses have electric kettles in the common rooms, so you don't have to bring your own.