MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
review Computer/Electrical engineering courses kanishka Academics 2 02-01-2010 02:06 PM

Electrical & Biomedical Engineering

Old 03-18-2009 at 10:38 PM   #16
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Just a question for those that came out tonight (if there are any here) what did you think of the session?
You don't have to reply publicly, you can PM me if you'd like. This is just of personal interest to me since I was not so impressed with the presentation.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:39 PM   #17
nytrogyn

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ask yourself this - is your high school actually making you work to earn your marks? By that I mean, how hard are you working in your science/math courses, and what's the average like for the class. I pulled an exact 85% average (just made that scholarship, lol) in high school and I'm doing about the same right now (somewhere between 10 and 11).

If not, then well, University will teach you what it's like to work for your grade. I know many people here that went to easier high schools and bragged about their 95% averages, but are now just barely getting by with a 5 or 6. A lot of the classes you cannot get through without doing the work. Luckily I learned that early on after failing my first math midterm.
I do put effort into getting my marks for science/math, however a majority of my effort is put in after some seriously lengthy procrastination. I guess I will force myself to change that in University, the sooner the better, but as for now, I can't imagine any other way to get through the rest of high school besides leaning back and chilling.
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:45 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

No, you don't have to stop procrastinating that much really, lol. I still waste a lot of time :p
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:17 PM   #19
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

to ownagiatos,

I don't know if you are aware of this but there is 3 complex life sci courses of organic chemistry in biomed and 2 anatomy courses from nursing/health sci. So just wanted to make nytrogyn aware of these courses just to make him think that biomed is not all just biology and engineering.

to nytrogyn,

its not that hard to pull an average of 10-11 given you put a lot of time to studies.. the problem was that first term, I got sick quite often and it would ruin my tests and my ability to study.. so this term i m trying my best to hold on 11+ avg. also some people have different preferences... I found that I absolutely couldn't stand mechanical stuff.. but that I liked electrical/materials/programming stuff... so different people have different tastes.. And depending on what you like, you will probably end up doing up doing well in it.
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:23 PM   #20
maclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrogyn View Post
I'd also like your thoughts on the idea of going to engineering to get a high GPA instead of life science, for med school. It seems to me that maybe engineering is harder - but then again, graduating with a B.Eng makes you a professional and a candidate for well paying entry-level jobs, whereas a B.Sc gets you nowhere.
lol I exactly did what you are trying to do..life sci wanna be to eng wanna be... engineering is harder but is safer in the end... however, it will affect your ability to achieve a high gpa.. especially starting year two because that when's your real stream begins and where new stuff becomes complicated and hard to grasp. But its really upto your academic qualities and whether you can be consistent or not.
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:39 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
especially starting year two because that when's your real stream begins and where new stuff becomes complicated and hard to grasp. But its really upto your academic qualities and whether you can be consistent or not.
Well, I think most people actually start doing better since they're learning something they're actually interested in. I know for one that I'll be quite content when I am no longer part of materials 1M03 .
Old 03-19-2009 at 08:48 AM   #22
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:

On the other hand, I despise computer science, specifically programming, and dropped out of the grade 12 course because I was so bored of staring at the blue pascal screen mindlessly typing code. Despite my hatred for writing code, I am willing to tolerate it, provided the courses do not bore me to death.

I have to say you have scared me quite a bit. My average is currently the same as what you graduated with, and the idea of you getting an 8.0 GPA surprises me. With all due respect, is the reason for the "low" mark because you are in first year, or just because engineering at mac is damn hard? I am seriously doubting my capability of maintaining a GPA of 11 for medical school, although I don't believe I am interested in medicine anymore (http://www.medschoolhell.com /).

Due to the fact that Engineering I is, as you say, not a walk in the park, I think I should reconsider my electives. I originally planned on taking an English course, just to help develop my writing skills so that I can do well on written assignments, but I may be overloading myself. Do you have suggestions for any other first year electives?
I stayed back a year in high school due to my procrastination. Got 60s across the board, and surprised I did. Next year got an 88% overall average, with still the same procrastination. Went to Mac, almost failed first math midterm, failed the second, and smooth sailing since. When you first come in, you will see why people call it "hard", and you will learn to manage your time. I tried to study for everything, everyday, and I almost burned myself out.

Now I study smartly, efficiently, and am getting better grades in harder courses simply because I manage myself and time spent better. Also helps if you spend more time at a location that is conducive to working than slacking off.

Also, programming, while a bit boring for many I know, is very easy to get a decent mark. Plenty of people I know who are computer illiterate still pulled of an 9+ in that course with no prior experience.

GL!

nytrogyn says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 03-19-2009 at 12:31 PM   #23
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
On the other hand, I despise computer science, specifically programming, and dropped out of the grade 12 course because I was so bored of staring at the blue pascal screen mindlessly typing code. Despite my hatred for writing code, I am willing to tolerate it, provided the courses do not bore me to death.
Second year EE/Comp Eng/Biomed has two courses devoted solely to programming. Throughout your years in the program you will probably do some coding in most eng courses, ie Matlab.

nytrogyn says thanks to gregster for this post.
Old 03-20-2009 at 11:29 PM   #24
nytrogyn

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
lol I exactly did what you are trying to do..life sci wanna be to eng wanna be... engineering is harder but is safer in the end... however, it will affect your ability to achieve a high gpa.. especially starting year two because that when's your real stream begins and where new stuff becomes complicated and hard to grasp. But its really upto your academic qualities and whether you can be consistent or not.
from the looks of it, i doubt i'll be doing well enough in engineering to get into med school: http://www.premed101.com/forums/show....php?t=3196 7

that won't stop me from taking it though, haha, its a better career imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Well, I think most people actually start doing better since they're learning something they're actually interested in. I know for one that I'll be quite content when I am no longer part of materials 1M03 .
what was so bad about materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I stayed back a year in high school due to my procrastination. Got 60s across the board, and surprised I did. Next year got an 88% overall average, with still the same procrastination. Went to Mac, almost failed first math midterm, failed the second, and smooth sailing since. When you first come in, you will see why people call it "hard", and you will learn to manage your time. I tried to study for everything, everyday, and I almost burned myself out.

Now I study smartly, efficiently, and am getting better grades in harder courses simply because I manage myself and time spent better. Also helps if you spend more time at a location that is conducive to working than slacking off.

Also, programming, while a bit boring for many I know, is very easy to get a decent mark. Plenty of people I know who are computer illiterate still pulled of an 9+ in that course with no prior experience.

GL!
do you have time to do any extra curriculars? research with profs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
Second year EE/Comp Eng/Biomed has two courses devoted solely to programming. Throughout your years in the program you will probably do some coding in most eng courses, ie Matlab.
damn... that doesn't sound good at all to me
Old 03-21-2009 at 12:34 AM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I find a lot of it to be pretty boring. It's a very specific course and only applies to materials engineering in the following years. The tests are also pretty stupid. They're ridiculously short, so if you mess up one thing, it can cost you nearly 10% of the test, if not more.

Quote:
Umm, I think you've got the wrong idea; profs don't really want anything to do with you in first year outside of class and office hours.

nytrogyn says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 03-21-2009 at 10:12 AM   #26
maclover

Quote:
from the looks of it, i doubt i'll be doing well enough in engineering to get into med school: http://www.premed101.com/forums/show....php?t=3196 7

that won't stop me from taking it though, haha, its a better career imo

damn... that doesn't sound good at all to me
ok first of all, biomed is a good choice, I agree. Very new field with great future opportunities. I am not trying to stop you from coming to mac.
Secondly, materials is actually one of those few courses this year that I have actually had fun in, partly due to the prof that teaches(Dr.Zurob) and partly cuz of the content you will learn. It can sometimes tedious or boring to do the assignments and work but the course and material it covers is not itself uninteresting.
Thirdly, you will have time to do your extra curriculars once you settle down in year two to your focus stream but in first year, you will have lots of work to do unless you learn time management which I am currently in the process of learning.
Lastly and honestly, research with profs is not possible atleast till the third year because they obviously would choose a person with experience, knowledge, and maturity over a first year or second year who are dont know anything about research or their stream fully.

nytrogyn says thanks to maclover for this post.
Old 03-21-2009 at 10:40 AM   #27
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
I personally don't do any official extracurriculars. I would have joined a few, but my job conflicted with intramural soccer timings, and the other sport I was looking into would make me get home at like 12 every Wednesday. I work out as often as possible, play sports with friends as often as possible, and play not nearly enough video games. Do I do it enough? I personally would say no, because I spend most of my time at Mac, since I can't get ANY work done at home(as said above, bad procrastination) and since my commute to school and back takes about 1.5-2 hours a day, it doesn't leave me with much time.

As to research, not quite sure if we do anything of that sort in first year.

nytrogyn says thanks to BlakeM for this post.
Old 03-21-2009 at 10:49 AM   #28
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
I'm currently in first year eng and do two extracurriculars, solar car and Mac Eng Musical, both of which suck up a good deal of time at least two days a week. My marks are about where I expected them to be (about 70% - I came in with an 85%), because I procrastinate like no other and just can't sit down and do work. Engineering is mainly work ethic and you either develop some of it or you fail out (unless you're super smart). I might be the only one who thinks this, but you have a LOT of time in first year - you just think you don't because there's a lot more work and you have to put more time into it.

There are some McWork positions out there for research assistants, so it IS possible for you do to that stuff in your first university summer - I know a few people who've done that.

nytrogyn says thanks to Iman for this post.