MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions about Electrical & Biomed Engineering... Thagsana.R First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 45 06-01-2011 03:22 PM
question about electrical engineering myalani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 04-03-2011 06:33 PM
review Computer/Electrical engineering courses kanishka Academics 2 02-01-2010 02:06 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering

Old 04-04-2011 at 01:10 PM   #1
Maintain

Liked: 0 Times

Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering
Hi, Im trying to decide on my 2nd year program between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering. When i was researching electrical engineering, I came across computer engineering, what is the difference s here at mac between EE and CE. I never really wanted to go into CE so does that mean I shouldnt go into EE or are they comparably different.

Also for anyone who took electrical engineering and management how was it?
Old 04-04-2011 at 01:50 PM   #2
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

The difference is that EE gets paid more and have a better chance at getting a job.

Old 04-04-2011 at 02:13 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
The difference is that EE gets paid more and have a better chance at getting a job.

lol.

They are basically the same - except EE is a little broader cause you take power and electromagnetics II. The main fundamentals that differencates them is that CoE has an embedded systems programming course, and that is the foundation for comp eng. so if you want to go into something like software development, power, telecommunications... go into EE.
Old 04-04-2011 at 02:54 PM   #4
gregster

If you're in electrical you can also take most of the comp eng courses as electives, though you would have fewer electives in mgt. Comp Eng class size is also much smaller than EE in general.

Employability is probably no different for either. EE would have the advantage for power jobs, while CE is better for embedded systems or software.
Old 04-04-2011 at 02:58 PM   #5
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

If you take comp eng, you don`t have to take the 4th math course (2nd semester math)or the 2nd electromagnetics course or the 3rd year power course. You get to take 3DQ5 which was probably the class Ive learnt the most in due to the gigantic project you have to do at the end (get rdy to spend weekends in a lab).
Old 04-04-2011 at 05:38 PM   #6
--HP--

Liked: 53 Times

EE FTW!

You'll have much more variety of work placements you can do.
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:03 AM   #7
Maintain

Ok yea Im leaning more to electrical than CE, but im still trying to decide between mech and ee. I wanted to go to mech in the beginning of the year but after seeing the type of work they do I feel like electrical is more for me. The thing that is bothering me is that the electrical engineering cutoff is so low, i hear its like a 4. Why is it so low? Is it because this type of specialty isnt wanted as much in the job market or is it because ppl think its too hard?

Also if i do take EE what are my chances at getting a job when im facing competetion from waterloo students with the same marks.
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:28 AM   #8
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times

A cutoff of 4 doesnt necessarily mean that not a lot of poeple apply, but that their are a lot more places available to begin with (some departments are bigger than others- there is approximately 150 poeple in ECE second year currently). That being said Electrical Engineering definetly isnt easy, which might drive some poeple away.
As for your waterloo question: all accredited engineering programs in ontario are basically the same, so it doesnt really matter which accredited uni you get the degree from. The only thing that make waterloo different is their extensive co-op program. If you can get any type of job/co-op placement/summer student job related to your field you will just as good a chance as any waterloo student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Ok yea Im leaning more to electrical than CE, but im still trying to decide between mech and ee. I wanted to go to mech in the beginning of the year but after seeing the type of work they do I feel like electrical is more for me. The thing that is bothering me is that the electrical engineering cutoff is so low, i hear its like a 4. Why is it so low? Is it because this type of specialty isnt wanted as much in the job market or is it because ppl think its too hard?

Also if i do take EE what are my chances at getting a job when im facing competetion from waterloo students with the same marks.

Maintain says thanks to klibzy for this post.
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:34 AM   #9
Maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibzy View Post
A cutoff of 4 doesnt necessarily mean that not a lot of poeple apply, but that their are a lot more places available to begin with (some departments are bigger than others- there is approximately 150 poeple in ECE second year currently). That being said Electrical Engineering definetly isnt easy, which might drive some poeple away.
As for your waterloo question: all accredited engineering programs in ontario are basically the same, so it doesnt really matter which accredited uni you get the degree from. The only thing that make waterloo different is their extensive co-op program. If you can get any type of job/co-op placement/summer student job related to your field you will just as good a chance as any waterloo student

Are you in EE? You seem to have asnwered most my questions, just one thing if you are in EE were you able to land any coop jobs in EE? Im concerned about job availability, and I know without any coop experience before you graduate, your dead.
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:41 AM   #10
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times

Ya im in EE 2nd year. I have got a job for 3 summers at Hydro One as part of their fellowship program. And while co-op experience definetly helps, it doesnt mean that you are dead without it. Most universities do not provide co-op oppurtinities to the degree that waterloo does, so there a lot of students in the same boat. As long as you can get an interview with a company and show them what you know and make a good impression on them you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Are you in EE? You seem to have asnwered most my questions, just one thing if you are in EE were you able to land any coop jobs in EE? Im concerned about job availability, and I know without any coop experience before you graduate, your dead.
Old 04-05-2011 at 01:56 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

There's also Software Engineering and Embedded Systems if you want to do the whole microcontroller/verilog thing, but don't really want the hardcore electronics. Just sayin'...
Old 04-05-2011 at 03:33 PM   #12
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
There's also Software Engineering and Embedded Systems if you want to do the whole microcontroller/verilog thing, but don't really want the hardcore electronics. Just sayin'...
BTW Own, I hate Janicki. I hate him. Like only you could imagine the hate I have for this guy now.

He must be fired....
Old 04-05-2011 at 04:49 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
BTW Own, I hate Janicki. I hate him. Like only you could imagine the hate I have for this guy now.

He must be fired....
Pssh, I've had the guy three times now. He just showed up out of surprise this semester cause the prof we were supposed to have randomly went on sabbatical.
Old 04-05-2011 at 11:49 PM   #14
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Don't pick the stream because of co-op placements and future jobs. Naturally when you go into ECE the field is so broad that you can do a lot of stuff, once you find that interests, you will easily want to learn more and as your skills improve, its easy to land a co-op placement (will start my 16 month @ sigma designs).

If you compare the courses for CE vs EE, especially 4th year, the CE courses are amazing.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 04-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2011 at 02:27 AM   #15
YasirHasan

Liked: 4 Times

The two are pretty similar..

Through second year all the courses I've taken are the same as the Elec eng (I decided to take 2ZZ3 anyway). It shouldn't really matter which you go into since it is pretty easy to switch afterwards..