MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few questions about Electrical & Biomed Engineering... Thagsana.R First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 45 06-01-2011 03:22 PM
Electrical and Biomedical Engineering w/ Management jp1390 Academics 8 06-05-2010 10:30 PM
Electrical & Biomedical Engineering nytrogyn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-21-2009 10:49 AM

question about electrical engineering

Old 04-01-2011 at 12:15 AM   #1
myalani

Liked: 0 Times

question about electrical engineering
Hi

im in first year engineering and probably applying for electrical engineering next year. So, i just want to know, in terms of the concepts you guys study, are the courses physics based cousrses (like the 1e03 course)?
i mean are the electrical engineering courses physics courses (circuits, gauss law, etc...)?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2011 at 12:21 AM   #2
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Here's the list of what you would be taking:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1213.html

Basically you have courses on circuit analysis, electromagnetics, digital logic, programming and math.

The only courses you take that are really like 1E03 are 2FH3 and 3FK3 which are the electromagnetics

myalani says thanks to RTinkess31 for this post.

myalani likes this.
Old 04-01-2011 at 12:24 AM   #3
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalani View Post
Hi

im in first year engineering and probably applying for electrical engineering next year. So, i just want to know, in terms of the concepts you guys study, are the courses physics based cousrses (like the 1e03 course)?
i mean are the electrical engineering courses physics courses (circuits, gauss law, etc...)?

Thanks
Well, everything in 1e03 will at some point be learned in elec eng. I'm in management so my courses are just spread out in 5 years but i'll give you a breakdown of what i have this term

1st term:
math 2z03 - continuation of first year math...
comp eng 2sh4 - continuation of first year programming. started with C, then we moved into Java. Ended with a bit of scripting (matlab)
elec eng 2ci5 - basically a course where you learn to solve circuits, so node/mesh analysis, thevenin/norton (stuff you'll learn) and more.

2nd term:
math 2zz3 - like math 2z03 cept harder
comp eng 2sh4 - basically more java programming but more emphasis on efficient algorithms and abstract data types. imo its more interesting and more involved than 2sh4
elec eng 2fh3 - basically all your gauss laws, flux, e fields, amperes law and stuff like that is covered in this course. pretty math intensive and corresponds directly with 2zz3
elec eng 2cj4 - continuation of the 2ci5, exept more advanced topics like op amps, magnetic circuits, bode plots, laplace etc...all stuff you'll learn - just more ways to solve circuits

again, im in management, so the rest of my first and second terms was business stuff instead of the other 2nd year courses.

if you just take normal elec eng (no management, biomed, society or we/e) you'll have more courses.. these are just the ones im taking

yeah tahts all

Note: too lazy to fix all my typing errors and other stuff like that

Desda, myalani all say thanks to xxsumz for this post.

myalani likes this.
Old 04-01-2011 at 06:08 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Know math, programming, and math and you will go far, young padawan. Master MATLAB early and you will tower over your peers.

myalani says thanks to RyanC for this post.

myalani, pavlov like this.
Old 04-01-2011 at 09:32 PM   #5
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Master MATLAB early and you will tower over your peers.
MATLAB is really disgusting compared to Maple. Why couldn't they just stick with Maple?
Old 04-01-2011 at 10:27 PM   #6
klibzy

Liked: 5 Times

In addition to the above mentioned courses you will have:
(1st sem) Comp Eng 2DI4- Digital logic: a course in which you learn your basic logic gates (AND, OR, NAND, NOR,etc), logic functions, multiplexers, decoders, and flip/flops. Its really nothing like any course in first year.
(2nd sem) Elec Eng 2EI5 - Microelectronics: a course in which you learn about different types of transistors (diodes, MOSFETS, BHT) and some basic applications like amplifier ciruits. Its another course which is quite a bit different from the 1st year courses ( you do use some of the knowledge about semiconductors from materials course). It relies quite a bit on first circuit course(2CI5) and a bit on digital logic near the end of the course

myalani says thanks to klibzy for this post.

myalani likes this.
Old 04-01-2011 at 10:36 PM   #7
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
MATLAB is really disgusting compared to Maple. Why couldn't they just stick with Maple?

MATLAB is amazing compared to Maple. So much easier to use

pavlov likes this.
Old 04-01-2011 at 10:50 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Maple is terrible, and I haven't heard of anybody outside of that math course use it for something useful.
Old 04-01-2011 at 10:58 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

I like how with Maple it is easy to see your output. With Matlab you had to switch your view to a different window which I find annoying since I'm so used to Maple.

MacPack, ThagsanaR like this.
Old 04-02-2011 at 12:10 AM   #10
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

After having a good handle on MATLAB I tried Maple and couldn't believe how crappy it is. MATLAB FTW!
Old 04-02-2011 at 05:04 AM   #11
Talon89

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
I like how with Maple it is easy to see your output. With Matlab you had to switch your view to a different window which I find annoying since I'm so used to Maple.
You do know that you can dock your editor window to your Matlab so that you can view your code and the command window side by side (or any orientation that you like), right?

Last edited by Talon89 : 04-02-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2011 at 02:14 PM   #12
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon89 View Post
You do know that you can dock your editor window to your Matlab so that you can view your code and the command window side by side (or any orientation that you like), right?
I do that all the time, I love it.

MATLAB is an awesome computational software. I used it for 2E15 design project. Instead of constantly recalculating by hand, I just simply wrote my own equation to find the magnitudes that met the specifications. I plug it in the PSPICE simulation and volia! I get the results.

I feel bad for those who had to calculate everything by hand before computers even existed.
Old 04-02-2011 at 06:46 PM   #13
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Once you use matlab for stuff other than math assignments, you will be amazed at how much it can do.
Old 04-02-2011 at 10:58 PM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

I see the love for Matlab and noted some suggestions. However, couldn't you do everything that you could on Matlab by using Maple?
Old 04-02-2011 at 11:05 PM   #15
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

First term:
-math (self-explanatory)
-computer logic (how does a computer choose between 1 and 0? how does a computer count? etc...)
-computer programming (C and Java)
-circuits (current sources, voltage sources, resistors, capacitors, inductors)

Second term:
-math
-circuits (operational amplifiers, bode plots, voltage gain)
-computer programming (Java, this time you have to make your programs time efficient)
-electro/magnetostatics (crap load of formulas/Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz/relies on physics, yes)
-microelectronics (diodes and transistors)

myalani says thanks to PhilM for this post.

myalani likes this.