MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So You Think You Can Dance Canada Finals temara.brown General Discussion 1 10-20-2009 10:37 PM
McMaster Dance Team laura_jean General Discussion 12 07-31-2009 12:13 AM
McMaster Electronic Dance Music kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-25-2009 07:32 AM
Mac Dance Classes davey General Discussion 5 06-19-2008 07:27 PM

Electronic/Dance/DJ music

Old 08-26-2010 at 10:57 PM   #1
comte

Liked: 16 Times

Electronic/Dance/DJ music
There must be some people here who love Trance/dance/DnB and any other electronic-genre music out there. Well, all except techno...I don't like techno...but I suppose if you can come up with some good tunes...

So post your fav DJs or artists, or even a particular song you really loved.

Here's some cool info, if you didn't already know so already; you can find a ton of podcasts with music that's as stylish as the world famous DJs who mix them for FREE on iTunes. Radio shows and dance sets and world class sets are always put up in these podcasts, all from Above & Beyond to Gareth Emery to Tiesto. There's Armin Van Buuren too, if you're a fan like a huge part of the world is.

If you'd like a list of some of the great podcasts available to listen to, ask me some time and I'll try to make one. It'll be a challenge.

----------------

On to my sharing of songs, Check this one out, I really dig it at the moment;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJsF4PvrYW0

Last edited by comte : 08-26-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Mikob11, xxsumz like this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:13 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Tiesto's new album is fantastic. Also check out his podcast.. Tiesto's Club Life.. lots of great stuff on there all the time. I also stream some sweet commercial-free radio from the internet on my Nexus One phone... you can do it at work or on ur mobile too.. sites that are best are di.fm, 1club.fm, and friskyradio.com, and astateoftrance.com enjoy! (and I see you already found trancearoundtheworld )

PS that song is fantastic! Hadn't heard it before. Embedded it below for everyone.
Bent - As You Fall (Kyau & Albert Remix)

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:26 AM   #3
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Yessss this is my kinda thread; for sure one of the most underrated producers is Ferry Corsten - he literally brought Dutch trance to the world stage and another one would be Dada Life. Right now, this song sounds toooo good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbNH...eature=channel

Btw, how do you embed?

Last edited by oxelhs : 08-27-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2010 at 08:44 AM   #4
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Yes! Finally there are others lol. For me it's mostly trance and eurodance/classic euro. Dance/house remixes of top 40 songs can be pretty sweet too. Some of my favourite artists:

Above & Beyond-->A mix of great ambient tracks and energetic trance
Andy Blueman
Aquagen
Armin van Buuren
Cosmic Gate
Dash Berlin
Ferry Corsten
Ian Van Dahl
Markus Schulz
Paul Van Dyk
Rank 1
Sander Van Doorn
Tiesto (His older stuff)

I've got a ton of great singles from random artists. From those iTunes free radio stations, particularly DigitalImported's channels, I've found amazing compilation albums with great stuff. I DJ a bit also, and I was thinking that if I ever manage to get into 1280 I'd like to try to throw an event with euro/classic euro, dance, trance, and top 40 music. It would be great to do just EDM, but there isn't a large enough crowd for that. I think that if you throw in a set of catchy dance music along with higher bpm top40 everyone would be happy. Hopefully one day that shall happen
Old 08-27-2010 at 10:05 AM   #5
Aysha_SM

Liked: 0 Times

These are some of my favourite artists from this genre (and I'll end up repeating favourites mentioned by some of you, hehe): Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, Chicane, LSD, Binary Finary, Delerium, Armand Van Helden, Ian Van Dahl, Sasha, Daft Punk, and Darude, obviously . I also like Sonique.

I'm sure I could add more to this list.
Old 08-31-2010 at 08:56 PM   #6
comte

I'm sure all of us have our particular styles that we love more than all others; but I'd still like to recommend this particular DJ, or atleast his mixes to you. Give it up for Jaytech! Maybe you've heard of him, or if you've been in this genre for long, you must have.
Anyways, be sure to check out his mixes on iTunes, for those who have it or the music from his MySpace, all linked from his website at: http://www.jaytechmusic.com/podcast.php

Honestly, his podcast is the best multi-purpose podcast I've ever heard.
Old 08-31-2010 at 09:40 PM   #7
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by comte View Post
There must be some people here who love Trance/dance/DnB and any other electronic-genre music out there. Well, all except techno...I don't like techno...but I suppose if you can come up with some good tunes...

So post your fav DJs or artists, or even a particular song you really loved.

Here's some cool info, if you didn't already know so already; you can find a ton of podcasts with music that's as stylish as the world famous DJs who mix them for FREE on iTunes. Radio shows and dance sets and world class sets are always put up in these podcasts, all from Above & Beyond to Gareth Emery to Tiesto. There's Armin Van Buuren too, if you're a fan like a huge part of the world is.

If you'd like a list of some of the great podcasts available to listen to, ask me some time and I'll try to make one. It'll be a challenge.

----------------

On to my sharing of songs, Check this one out, I really dig it at the moment;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJsF4PvrYW0
I'm an electro guy...and an actual DJ myself. I've done work mostly for London Tap House.

I don't have much recorded but here's my mix that I've used for Tap House's party bus (they only have a CD player in there...used to be an actual DJ booth last year that I worked on live): Soundclouddddd

My favourite stuff is electro-pop...mainly the work done by:
- Hypercrush as well as Diplo (clicky)
- LMFAO (clicky)
- Skeet Skeet (clickyyyy)
- BetaTraxx (formerly known as Red Light) this one actually sounds a bit more trance-like
- Other crap. I've got loaaaaaddssss of electro music. Mainly acquired through endless pondering on hype machine haha

EDIT: This doesn't mean that Tap House plays electro music...sorryyyyyy hahaha don't go there expecting it and hearing our normal Top 40/Club Anthem stuff.

Last edited by sjager : 08-31-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Small change
Old 08-31-2010 at 10:06 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I really dig The Knife, brother and sister Karin and Olof

Here's Karin's solo project Fever Ray. It's a bit more chilled out

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

tatski-p likes this.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:42 PM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Personally I like Daft Punk, IIO, Edward Maya, and Remady P&R. C:
Old 09-01-2010 at 12:06 AM   #10
comte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
I'm an electro guy...and an actual DJ myself. I've done work mostly for London Tap House.

I don't have much recorded but here's my mix that I've used for Tap House's party bus (they only have a CD player in there...used to be an actual DJ booth last year that I worked on live): Soundclouddddd

My favourite stuff is electro-pop...mainly the work done by:
- Hypercrush as well as Diplo (clicky)
- LMFAO (clicky)
- Skeet Skeet (clickyyyy)
- BetaTraxx (formerly known as Red Light) this one actually sounds a bit more trance-like
- Other crap. I've got loaaaaaddssss of electro music. Mainly acquired through endless pondering on hype machine haha

EDIT: This doesn't mean that Tap House plays electro music...sorryyyyyy hahaha don't go there expecting it and hearing our normal Top 40/Club Anthem stuff.
That mix is pretty awesome. Though most of them are just mash-ups (or all?), I like the sound they put together. Maybe it's cause my volume is too high.
I'd love a track list, if you have one. But I'm sure two of the tracks are kate perry - california girl mash-ups, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Personally I like Daft Punk, IIO, Edward Maya, and Remady P&R. C:
I'd love to try out new artists, can you recommend me a few songs you really dig from them?
Old 09-01-2010 at 03:59 AM   #11
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Its a pity that most clubs tend to peddle top40 stuff as "electronic" music and there are hardly any trance events in Hamilton.

I'm a HUGE fan of almost everything Arnej has ever produced(He's also from Canada!),
Old School Tiesto non vocals(though bend it like you don't care from a recent album was superb)
Simon Patterson,
Richard Durand(Esp Always The Sun),
Gareth Emery,
Absolutely Any song with Audrey Gallagher Singing is pure magic(Big Sky & Hold on to me come to mind)

I also sometimes enjoy chill/low key ambient trance & underground dubstep/industrial trance though nothing in specific from there.

I've embedded a few

I once used to get all of ASOT & Club Life Podcasts every week until recently, I'm now in a weird phase of being hooked onto SouthEast Asian Classical Instrumental Music(Sarod & Sitar Specifically)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-01-2010 at 06:09 AM   #12
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

While I'll always love Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, etc and generally any sort of Trance, I've followed more into house/progressive music and I'm just starting to get into Drum & Bass. My personal favourite is definitely Kaskade.. I'm sure everyone heard his song 'Move for Me' with deadmau5 awhile back, though that's not my favourite song by him. More favourites in the dance/electronica genre in general for me would be Armand van Helden, Dennis Ferrer, Deep Dish/Sharam, David Guetta (more so his older stuff from Ghetta Blaster & Pop Life), Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx. Drum and Bass (or DnB) is definitely catching on with me. Check out Tear You Down by The Brookes Brothers, excellent DnB song.

In general, I tend to keep up to date by following podcasts by Tiesto and Defected Music, but in terms of great music compilations, check out The Ministry of Sound website. Their Annual disc that they come out with every year (hence the title of the album is always Ministry of Sound: The Annual [insert year here]) is my favourite compilation album. Also check out their Clubbers Guide album that comes out, you guessed it, every year right before the summer!

Old 09-01-2010 at 02:15 PM   #13
comte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I once used to get all of ASOT & Club Life Podcasts every week until recently, I'm now in a weird phase of being hooked onto SouthEast Asian Classical Instrumental Music(Sarod & Sitar Specifically)
Dude, exactly the same phase I went through as well. I think that phase is probably that you sometimes need a break from the genre. I used to desire the Asian instrumental collection, but nowadays, I just settle for some good old classical. Believe it or not, classical and Trance together or separately, really compliment each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Drum and Bass (or DnB) is definitely catching on with me. Check out Tear You Down by The Brookes Brothers, excellent DnB song.
If it's DnB you're going into, you MUST have heard of Pendulum, especially their new album 'Immersion'. I've had the pleasure of checking out a few of their songs, and I just fell in love with 'Watercolour'.
Check it out:

Last edited by comte : 09-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2010 at 06:06 PM   #14
RyanK

Liked: Liked 4 Times

This thread will not be dealt Justice if theres no one mentioning Justice, here thank me later ..... destroys Tiesto IMO

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-01-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: YouTube

Old 09-01-2010 at 07:11 PM   #15
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Boards of Canada is amazing

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

revolution27 likes this.