MacInsiders Logo

@$#@* Elm

Old 01-11-2010 at 09:33 PM   #46
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It makes me so mad because it's not just something "extra" to a lot of students. It's not always that you use ELM because you're too lazy to look at the notes in your notebook. Lots of my professors say "The assignment is due February 8, the assignment description is on ELM" and that's it. I don't have a choice of whether or not I use ELM to check course information. I HAVE to. That's why it should work.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:52 PM   #47
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

just went to print of a chem lab and
ELM Server Notice
ELM is temporarily down for emergency maintenance (22:50 EST).
We are performing emergency maintenance with the vendor (Blackboard) in
FML
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:53 PM   #48
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

the only emergency on ELM is that it sucks
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:53 PM   #49
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

ELM is down.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:00 PM   #50
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi... 90161&ref=mf

New group! (surprised it took this long)

jhan523 likes this.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:03 PM   #51
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Excellent group.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:15 PM   #52
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

spent a good 30mins in thode today to get from my the elm log in site to my capa quesitons! eff elm!

and now its down.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:24 PM   #53
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

elm is by far the superior web based class assistant program. It provides more options for students then webct or learnlink from what experience I have had on all 3. But for whatever reason it doesn't work.

why? More then likely due to poor inefficient programming or poor hardware (not a strong enough server/internet connection. Considering MUGSI student limit that is imposed I'm willing to believe that it is more a hardware thing. Mcmaster is very much lacking in what I would call good server management. There is no reason for a student limit on MUGSI and most of all there is no reason for ELM to be this slow. I pay a lot of money to attend this university and the government gives you money per head that attends too. STOP putting it into other things and put the money back to the students where it belongs.

It's times like these that i understand why Mcmaster has been dropping in the Macleans University ranking(not even in the top 20 for undergraduates anymore). The University is on a slippery slope when it comes to student affairs as far as I'am concerned.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:59 PM   #54
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
elm is by far the superior web based class assistant program. It provides more options for students then webct or learnlink from what experience I have had on all 3. But for whatever reason it doesn't work.

why? More then likely due to poor inefficient programming or poor hardware (not a strong enough server/internet connection. Considering MUGSI student limit that is imposed I'm willing to believe that it is more a hardware thing. Mcmaster is very much lacking in what I would call good server management. There is no reason for a student limit on MUGSI and most of all there is no reason for ELM to be this slow. I pay a lot of money to attend this university and the government gives you money per head that attends too. STOP putting it into other things and put the money back to the students where it belongs.

It's times like these that i understand why Mcmaster has been dropping in the Macleans University ranking(not even in the top 20 for undergraduates anymore). The University is on a slippery slope when it comes to student affairs as far as I'am concerned.
I agree. I hate that Mac is satisfied with such crappy online programs, like ELM, MUSS, MUGSI, SOLAR, etc. simply because they "get the job done".

Yeah, I can add my classes on SOLAR for the term, but should I really have to spend 5 hours on the computer at 1am trying to do it? I can access my notes off ELM for my course, but should I have to wait over an hour for it to load? I can email my professors and classmates from my MUSS account, but should I have to forward everything through Gmail so I can send and accept simple PDF files?

Mac is so lazy when it comes to this stuff. I love this school but this stuff pisses me off.
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:22 PM   #55
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Does anyone else have massive trouble with the Libraries website being really slow/not loading?
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:35 PM   #56
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

ELM is now pretty fast. Wonder what they did.
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:40 PM   #57
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I find that ELM is normal past midnight if you are willing to stay up.
ELM is also pretty good in the mornings (i.e., before 9 am). I guess if you are willing to wake up early or stay up late, you are good to go ;P
Old 01-12-2010 at 12:31 AM   #58
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

ELM is a pretty good system. When it works...

And no to learn link... I HATE navigating through all the folders...

salimak likes this.
Old 01-12-2010 at 06:42 AM   #59
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

WebCT was superior to ELM in every way. I miss being able to log in, and see the screen with all my courses that actually showed if there was something new to look at in that course. I have to spend hours clicking through every class on ELM just to find out that there's nothing new to worry about, because it takes 15 minutes to load a page.

One of my professors told me that last term, when she was uploading marks, the system matched the first three letters of the students' last name, and that was it. The result was that people who happened to have the same first three letters in their last name often got their marks jumbled with the other people. What kind of system does that?
Old 01-12-2010 at 07:33 AM   #60
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post
ELM is a pretty good system. When it works...

And no to learn link... I HATE navigating through all the folders...
At least it doesnt go down every fest seconds...:(