MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grade Reports meklia Academics 1 06-02-2010 08:04 PM
Wrong grade on grade report lululand Academics 35 04-30-2010 07:13 PM
Grade release zunizoon Academics 2 04-30-2010 02:51 PM
Grade Calculation Help Kamakachi5 Academics 3 04-17-2010 10:31 AM
Grade 'F' Question .blank First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 01-12-2010 08:14 PM

Emailing Prof. About Grade... Again.

Old 01-12-2009 at 09:05 AM   #1
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Emailing Prof. About Grade... Again.
There's a bit of a backstory to this question, so here it goes:

During Christmas break I checked my grade report, and saw that I failed a course that I need for my program, and that I thought I had done really well in (above average on both the paper and midterm, and I only needed 32% to pass the course). I emailed the prof. and asked him if he could give me a grade break down and if I could see my exam because I was confused about my grade. He told me that because I didn't write the exam with the class, it hadn't gotten marked yet, but would be as soon as we started back and would be on my grade report as soon as possible, and then told me to just be patient.

Well, it's still not on my grade report, and I'm getting kind of nervous. I'm pretty sure I didn't fail this course, but if for some reason I did, I want to retake it this semester. Also, I'm going to need to give my summer job my grade report soon, and I don't want a failing grade to be present on it! But at the same time, I don't know if I should email the prof. again because he told me to be patient, and I don't want to annoy him just in case I have a class with him again in the future.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone been in the same situation? I'm pretty frustrated by this, and wish he had just not put anything up on my grade report, or at least emailed me ahead of time to warn me.
Old 01-12-2009 at 09:50 AM   #2
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
There's a bit of a backstory to this question, so here it goes:

During Christmas break I checked my grade report, and saw that I failed a course that I need for my program, and that I thought I had done really well in (above average on both the paper and midterm, and I only needed 32% to pass the course). I emailed the prof. and asked him if he could give me a grade break down and if I could see my exam because I was confused about my grade. He told me that because I didn't write the exam with the class, it hadn't gotten marked yet, but would be as soon as we started back and would be on my grade report as soon as possible, and then told me to just be patient.

Well, it's still not on my grade report, and I'm getting kind of nervous. I'm pretty sure I didn't fail this course, but if for some reason I did, I want to retake it this semester. Also, I'm going to need to give my summer job my grade report soon, and I don't want a failing grade to be present on it! But at the same time, I don't know if I should email the prof. again because he told me to be patient, and I don't want to annoy him just in case I have a class with him again in the future.

Does anyone have any advice? Anyone been in the same situation? I'm pretty frustrated by this, and wish he had just not put anything up on my grade report, or at least emailed me ahead of time to warn me.

My advice is to go see the prof in person. This will eliminate any un-intended perceptions that may come from an email and give you a chance to explain your story; as long as you are polite and respectful when you go.
Old 01-12-2009 at 12:43 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

In order to see your exam it has to be done through the faculty, so if you don't get anywhere with seeing the prof in person I'd go to your faculty, explain the situation, etc. You can also talk to CSD (if that's who you wrote with) and see if you can find out when the exam went to the prof.

Old 01-13-2009 at 09:56 AM   #4
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Thanks guys! I'm going to try and talk to the prof, and hopefully he'll be able to help me out. If not, I'll ask the faculty about it.