MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PC problem and MAC luna General Discussion 12 09-18-2011 12:19 PM
Does anyone have the same problem? actuary_asa Academics 12 07-09-2011 09:54 PM
Problem changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-19-2010 02:17 PM
Most embarrassing moments manu General Discussion 43 01-05-2010 05:06 PM
ELM problem maverick1990 General Discussion 10 09-09-2009 03:07 PM

Embarrassing Problem

Old 02-05-2013 at 08:29 AM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Embarrassing Problem
I can remember people's names.
I can remember people's faces.
I can't put two and two together.
If I meet, say, R in class on Friday, then I'll be fine, because I can associated R with that class.
But, if I meet T in the same class on Monday, then I'll start confusing the two.
Lately, I've started teaching/leading a couple classes, etc., and I get into HOT HOT water because I can't remember their names. Yes, so...maybe the first few weeks, but I've been teaching these two kiddy classes for a few months and still mix up names...

Old 02-05-2013 at 08:51 AM   #2
merc67

Liked: 17 Times

Same problem, i think that's why we have to do those ice breakers with students.... Sadly i remember the little details people gave about themselves, their faces, where they are generally going to sit when they come in, who talks most in class etc, but still have problems remembering most of their names, but if I ever meet them in say the student center I know who they are etc.

Used to have the same problem on tests, where I'd remember the details of expt's etc, but not who did what. wonder if its related?

Ponyo, Zebedee like this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 09:15 AM   #3
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

I can kind of relate. I usually remember people's faces but not their name.

Anyway, I found this article and it has some good suggestions about how you can try to remember these things:
http://www.psitek.net/pages/PsiTekPWTSYM6.html
Old 02-05-2013 at 09:28 AM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

I have the same problem. I heard it helps to associate peoples names and faces with an animal. Apparently it works but I have yet to try it. XD
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:10 AM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

names are overrated

Old 02-05-2013 at 12:30 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found that if I learn someone's name as soon as I meet them, I don't remember it that well and you feel stupid for asking it later. I usually ask for names a little while after I know them, that way I rarely forget

Ponyo likes this.
Old 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I found that if I learn someone's name as soon as I meet them, I don't remember it that well and you feel stupid for asking it later. I usually ask for names a little while after I know them, that way I rarely forget
I tried that...but then what often happens is that it gets into this awkward stage where you feel like you *should* know their name and you feel stupid asking

I've heard that picturing someone's name written on their forehead is helpful, but personally I'm not all that great at faces either so it doesn't work too well for me.
Old 02-05-2013 at 04:07 PM   #8
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

wikihow providing solutions to your everyday problems since 2005
http://www.wikihow.com/Memorize-Names-and-Faces

if the class you are teaching is permanent, have a seating plan this way you'll know who is who by there location. Or have each student say there name before they answer a question. My teachers used to do that
another option could be name tags.
good luck with memorizing !

jim1 says thanks to Ponyo for this post.
Old 02-05-2013 at 04:57 PM   #9
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

Dont worry yo!
I used to do the same, but once you put a little bit of mind to it, you'll stop doing that
Old 02-05-2013 at 08:45 PM   #10
olive2

Liked: 29 Times

a somewhat solution my boyfriend and i have come up with to combat this problem is after meeting them, when you have a sec, pull up a "note" in your phone and write their name and a short description like "Brad Spencer, met in 3ER3, orange backpack, black glasses, in eng." that way if any of your memory games fail, you have a backup. and if you need to remember their name one time, just pretend to look at a text, but pull up the note.

Might seem a little silly but it works.
Old 02-05-2013 at 11:58 PM   #11
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

shiit. saaaame
Old 02-06-2013 at 05:30 AM   #12
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

I have this problem too
Old 02-06-2013 at 12:18 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

For teaching, ask people to write nametags. Collect the nametags after every class and hand them out in the next class. When people raise their hands to talk, ask them to raise their nametags.

Additionally, you could ask people to send you a picture of their face and make a "class composite". While it's challenging when you can't remember names, it's a must when you're teaching because students may not feel you can mark them fairly or adequately if you confuse people. With any type of learning struggle, the best way to overcome this is with lots of practice. Get to know your students better to. If you know more about their programs, career goals, passions in the course, then you'll have more of a story to each person making it easier to remember.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-10-2013 at 09:04 PM   #14
raynertj

Liked: 0 Times

I have the same problem! Try using nicknames instead!
Old 02-10-2013 at 09:36 PM   #15
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

have any of you tried the michael scott method?

jim1 likes this.