MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC++ problem GB123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-07-2011 08:02 PM
Can someone help with my problem? Rakim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-24-2009 01:58 PM
Elm Problem jaucep General Discussion 68 09-13-2009 12:36 AM
elm pdf problem sycoman General Discussion 2 09-10-2009 12:26 PM
ELM problem maverick1990 General Discussion 10 09-09-2009 03:07 PM

PC problem and MAC

Old 09-16-2011 at 11:26 PM   #1
luna

Liked: 10 Times

PC problem and MAC
So, I have a Toshiba laptop which I bought about 2-3 years ago. I am ok with this laptop but the recent problem is that its battery life dropped really low. I mean it won't last even up to hal an hour without being pluged in. I changed some settings on my laptop but it doesn't seem to do much. Is there anything else I can do to really enhance my battery life, up to like 2-3 hours?
Also, out of curiousty, how is a mac? meaning how is it really different from a pc. and would you say it's better than a pc for students. also how much are they usually and what are some good stores you can get them from? thank u
Old 09-16-2011 at 11:32 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

O dear god, another soon to be Mac vs PC thread.

Batteries are relatively cheap repairs, if that's all your computer needs. When it comes to Mac or Windows, it's a matter of preference. Having said that, if you have questions about a Mac, hit me up. I've been Apple certified for a long time, and work at a mac dealer/repair shop.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 09-16-2011 at 11:37 PM  
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by jon.john23 : 09-16-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2011 at 12:04 AM   #3
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Best thing u can do is: get a new battery for abt $99

Macs are definitely different in terms of UI. It offers a great experience for ppl who are
into media editing. It is a fun and colourful OS.
How ever when it comes to utility and practicality, PCs are a better option. Alot of softwares are only PC compatible.

Dont gimme tht stuff abt running BOOT CAMP to run ur windows programs. In tht case u could have bought a PC to being with and saved 300 - 500 bux! Plus repairs are fairly cheap when it come to PCs. U can get it done at any store.

As for ur question "where can u get them": you can get them ONLY @ the APPLE store. Prices ranging from 1000 - 2500 bux
Titles, Futureshop, Bestbuy, a ton of other stores. There are a lot of Apple resellers out there, you're not limited to the Apple store.

Quote:
MOST users arent satisfied with macs. Trust! I know this guy who bought a PC this year over his MAC from last year.
Just because you know a person who didn't like his Mac doesn't mean that most users aren't satisfied with them. If that were the case, there probably wouldn't be a ton of them in every lecture hall. (not that it's a good thing for computer-illiterate people to buy some of the most expensive computers out there)

EDIT: Just for the record, I wasn't the one who reported your post.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 09-17-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2011 at 02:35 AM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
So, I have a Toshiba laptop which I bought about 2-3 years ago. I am ok with this laptop but the recent problem is that its battery life dropped really low. I mean it won't last even up to hal an hour without being pluged in. I changed some settings on my laptop but it doesn't seem to do much. Is there anything else I can do to really enhance my battery life, up to like 2-3 hours?
Also, out of curiousty, how is a mac? meaning how is it really different from a pc. and would you say it's better than a pc for students. also how much are they usually and what are some good stores you can get them from? thank u
How is a mac different?
Different operating system, different compatibilities.

A mac can pretty much do what a PC can, and a PC can pretty much do what a mac can (bootcamp and Hackintosh).

Battery life is pretty decent on a mac, but PC can have great battery life as well! Just make sure you do you research on PC's laptops.

Lenovo and Asus are both good brands that are priced phenomenally.
Old 09-17-2011 at 09:30 AM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Titles, Futureshop, Bestbuy, a ton of other stores. There are a lot of Apple resellers out there, you're not limited to the Apple store.

Just because you know a person who didn't like his Mac doesn't mean that most users aren't satisfied with them. If that were the case, there probably wouldn't be a ton of them in every lecture hall. (not that it's a good thing for computer-illiterate people to buy some of the most expensive computers out there)

EDIT: Just for the record, I wasn't the one who reported your post.
I agree with u, alot of ppl really enjoy using MAC. But this guy is just one case (hes loaded).

There r other ppl i have spoken (just yesterday even) who have said they dont like it much, saying "its a sour lemon". But the are forced to use it, after spending more than $1500.

My bad, i fogot abt BB. FS and title, but even then Macs sell for the same price any where u go

Last edited by jon.john23 : 09-17-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2011 at 09:50 AM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
How is a mac different?
Different operating system, different compatibilities.

A mac can pretty much do what a PC can, and a PC can pretty much do what a mac can (bootcamp and Hackintosh).

Battery life is pretty decent on a mac, but PC can have great battery life as well! Just make sure you do you research on PC's laptops.

Lenovo and Asus are both good brands that are priced phenomenally.
Idk abt Asus. I had an Asus netbook, after the first year i had trouble with the:

1- battery
2- Wireless adapter for internet
3- Trackpad would become unresponsive @ times

I would recommend Toshiba. It served Luna well for almost 2-3 years. Call me and Toshiba maniac, I have 3 Toshiba's. One is 4 years now, best thing i've used. Extremely light DAMN AS HELL DURABLE!! (Dropped on the concrete floor of my condo parking lot couple of times. And it still works 100% fine,. Battery life is still hold up pretty weill 2-3 hours on full charge.

The other 2 work fine as well, however they have VERY FRAGILE screens. Cost abt 100 bux to fix the one i use for skool now.

One laptop brand tht u must not buy is.... VAIO!!! Staff at my moms work (most of whom are engineers), and even my friends complain abt Vaio. Either battery life is poor, CD drive doesn't work, they have to keep rebooting the system coz it would freeze up....

Havent heard any -ves abt Lenovo, HP, DELL, TOSHIBA, IBM

its ur call, try a MAC if u want a change from the windows UI. Who knows u might like it

Last edited by jon.john23 : 09-17-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2011 at 10:19 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Like reeves, said a battery replacement would be best. Look into local computer shops in your area who possibly sell batteries or look into online websites like www.battdepot.ca or something.
Old 09-17-2011 at 10:55 AM   #8
JeffZ

Liked: 7 Times

If you're just using your computer (whether it be a Mac or any other brand computer) for study and school purposes, I see no need to actually spend that much money on a Mac. And I'm sure you can find a decent laptop for a much cheaper price elsewhere? The advantages to a Mac, I would say, is just a longer battery, which is nice if you constantly have class like I do x_x
Old 09-17-2011 at 11:36 AM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

It depends what you use the laptop for as to decide whether you need a mac or not. i have a cheap laptop that has a 3+ hour battery life (15.6 inch screen too) but the only problem is it overheats while playing video game or higher requirement programs.

since most of these threads turn into Mac vs. PC battles then just do your own research by looking at the specs and reviews of different computer not on the company websites. also, if youve never used a mac and are curious of what the operating system is like, head to Thode or Mills Library and sit down and try one of the Macs but its more what you feel is better for you and how much your willing to pay for the Mac operating system

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 10:20 AM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
Is seems you need a new battery for your laptop. The same thing is happening to mine right now (an HP), and I'm 99% sure that is what it is, since I take care of the thing and haven't done anything risky recently.

As for mac vs pc.. maybe try some of the ones out in Mills and see if it doesn't tick you off. I hate the way the mac OS is set up personally, but some people like it.

Last edited by britb : 09-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-18-2011 at 10:32 AM   #11
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Yeah you need a new battery, its around 80 dollars to buy a new one. (thats what my friend spent on a new HP battery) if everything else is fine with ur laptop except battery i suggest you just buy a new battery online on toshiba's website.

i have a mac i love it and in case I ever ever ever need a PC for you know those once in a while files that cant open on a mac. I run virtualbox with Windows XP its very cool

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 09-18-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2011 at 10:52 AM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

The best thing about the macbook is the touchpad. I don't want to turn this into PC vs MAC thread but I know that I enjoy using the touchpad more than other laptops.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 09-18-2011 at 12:19 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Buy a battery on eBay. They're pretty cheap.