MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software and Embedded 2nd Year kanishka Academics 0 08-16-2010 07:22 AM
GPA for software-embedded? nikJ Academics 7 10-20-2009 03:51 PM
Control Systems ash0000 Academics 3 05-01-2009 07:50 AM
Software Embedded versus Game Design? Ownaginatios Academics 31 03-20-2009 12:43 PM

Embedded Systems

Old 03-19-2011 at 12:39 AM   #1
DarthFuzzy

Liked: 7 Times

Embedded Systems
I have a couple of questions about embedded systems engineering at Mac.
1)Whats different from this and the normal software engineering in terms of courses and content?
2)Can I still apply to regular Software engineering jobs with the embedded systems degree?
3)Can I do a minor with the program?
thanks!
Its getting time for me to pick my stream for next year but I'm so indecisive :(
Old 03-19-2011 at 12:56 AM   #2
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFuzzy View Post
I have a couple of questions about embedded systems engineering at Mac.
1)Whats different from this and the normal software engineering in terms of courses and content?
2)Can I still apply to regular Software engineering jobs with the embedded systems degree?
3)Can I do a minor with the program?
thanks!
Its getting time for me to pick my stream for next year but I'm so indecisive :(
1) Here is the calendar of courses for Embedded: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1236.html and the one for plain software: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1232.html

You learn pretty much the same stuff the regular software engineers do, but you also have some courses on embedded systems from the Mechatronics program. You have more choice for electives in final year, though (which is nice)

2) You still get a B. Eng. degree, no matter the program. A B. Eng. Embedded Software Engineering degree adds onto a normal Software Eng. degree, so employers should want to hire you even more because you've done BOTH a complete Software Eng. degree AND added on some courses on embedded systems.

3) You could do something very similar to a minor called "Engineering and Society". You can "add" this onto Software Eng. (but you can't add it onto Embedded Systems or Game Design, sorry :( ). It adds another year to your schedule, but from what I know, people do like it. You can take any sort of Humanities or Social Sciences classes, like Music or Psychology, etc.

Hope I answered some of your questions.

Last edited by aaront : 03-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2011 at 01:03 AM   #3
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Personally, I would choose embedded systems because it will incorporate both software and hardware. In today's industry being fluent in both gives you a huge advantage over someone that only has a software background. Sure the software guy will be more fluent in software, but understanding how the integration of S/W and H/W works is a step up.

However, that being said I have noticed a recent trend of lots of software positions opening up in comparison to strictly embedded systems vacancies.
Old 03-20-2011 at 01:00 AM   #4
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

ECE offers embedded systems designs, you learn embedded C that does SoC designs and interfacing with Verilog for simulations. http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/ug_cours/..._outlin e.pdf