MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emerson Pardoe Sentencing Hearing sniderj Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 62 01-28-2010 11:57 AM

Emerson and Main St. W.

Old 12-18-2011 at 10:53 PM   #1
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Emerson and Main St. W.
Now that the old funeral home has been knocked down at the corner of Main and Emerson, I am wondering if anybody knows what is being built there as a replacement. From the signs posted on the fencing I'm assuming that STC Group has the building contract, but their website doesn't provide any details for their project at that location. STC Group has a pretty neat group of clients (McDonalds, The Beer Store, LCBO, BK, etc) and I am wondering if anyone knows what will be built at that location. My fingers are crossed for a Beer Store.

dgibson123 says thanks to Maitland for this post.
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:15 PM   #2
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

I've heard it's going to be a Shoppers Drug Mart, but unfortunately don't have any proof that that's true.

Edit: Just confirmed it'll be a Shoppers on the City's website:
http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartmen...rmitSearch.htm
Search: 1341 Main

A LCBO or Beer Store closer to campus would be great though.

Last edited by scott000 : 12-18-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added link

jamescw1234, Maitland all say thanks to scott000 for this post.

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:22 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
I've heard it's going to be a Shoppers Drug Mart, but unfortunately don't have any proof that that's true.

A LCBO or Beer Store closer to campus would be great though.
There's an LCBO 5min bus ride away... There's also another LCBO and beer store a 15minute bus ride/walk in the other direction...
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:48 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There's an LCBO 5min bus ride away... There's also another LCBO and beer store a 15minute bus ride/walk in the other direction...
Theres a shopper drug mart in that same plaza (university plaza) as the LCBO 5 min bus away. An LCBO would probably generate more money though.

Beer store would be nice too. The closest one on cootes isnt horribly far but its still annoying.
Old 12-18-2011 at 11:56 PM   #5
unclekraker

Liked: 2 Times

I wonder if this will drive Min's Mart out of business..
Old 12-19-2011 at 12:00 AM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Do we really need another SDM? Another nice but afforable restuarant would be nice
Old 12-19-2011 at 12:29 AM   #7
mmmcdonald

Liked: Liked 2 Times

A Starbucks would be ideal! Bussing to Locke St. is such a hassle!

Maitland, Sevan like this.
Old 12-19-2011 at 12:33 AM   #8
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Shopper's is kind of disappointing. There's already a pharmacy in the student center, Total Health Pharmacy across from Tally Ho's, Westdale Pharmacy in the Gino's plaza, a Shopper's at University Plaza, a pharmacy in Fortino's... Seems like a rather saturated market, especially when you consider the demand for a beer store in the area, and the fact that there are only two within a convenient distance of the school....
Old 12-19-2011 at 12:43 AM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Shoppers would have no qualms about opening there regardless of the fact that there's another one nearby.

trust me.
I live 5 minutes from a shoppers, even though there's one at the mall 10 minutes away ~__~
Old 12-19-2011 at 01:55 AM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Shoppers would have no qualms about opening there regardless of the fact that there's another one nearby.

trust me.
I live 5 minutes from a shoppers, even though there's one at the mall 10 minutes away ~__~
That puts you extremely close to my old house, lol.

I think both the Shoppers are justified: The one on Mohawk and Upper Wellington caters to those that are more on the west mountain. Think about it: there's no Shoppers on Upper James (as far as I can remember), so the closest one after that is all the way on Garth. It also has the advantage of being open 'til midnight everyday, something that the mall can't compete with.

But on the other hand, the Shoppers in Lime Ridge Mall is...well, a Shoppers in a mall. I don't think I even need to explain that.

...Since I lived almost right in the middle though, I was often facing the dilemma of choosing which to go to, since they were both a 10 ±2 minute walk away. :(

On-topic: I can't complain about the new Shoppers. Now I don't have to bus and to get my $2 Peak Freans, and there's a chance that the presence of competition might cause the Mac "convenient stores" to lower their prices. That's probably just wishful thinking though.
Old 12-19-2011 at 04:07 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

trust me.
Lol...
I think there's... 5 SDMs in Bowmanville (my hometown).
There's one tim hortons.

There are no words for SDM.
And @jhan... University Plaza, Westdale, Dundurn...
not sure I follow your logic.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-19-2011 at 05:04 AM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
That puts you extremely close to my old house, lol.

I think both the Shoppers are justified: The one on Mohawk and Upper Wellington caters to those that are more on the west mountain. Think about it: there's no Shoppers on Upper James (as far as I can remember), so the closest one after that is all the way on Garth. It also has the advantage of being open 'til midnight everyday, something that the mall can't compete with.

But on the other hand, the Shoppers in Lime Ridge Mall is...well, a Shoppers in a mall. I don't think I even need to explain that.

...Since I lived almost right in the middle though, I was often facing the dilemma of choosing which to go to, since they were both a 10 ±2 minute walk away. :(

On-topic: I can't complain about the new Shoppers. Now I don't have to bus and to get my $2 Peak Freans, and there's a chance that the presence of competition might cause the Mac "convenient stores" to lower their prices. That's probably just wishful thinking though.
xD

There's a big shoppers at the walmart plaza on upper james/fennel now though. And I think the one on upper wellington/mohawk changed their hours, so they're not even 24 hrs anymore, just 12 hrs. x(

Still, I guess their hours are more convenient than the mall shoppers, so they've got that... but it just feels unnecessary for them to open huge stores everywhere e__e
Old 12-19-2011 at 05:05 AM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lol...
I think there's... 5 SDMs in Bowmanville (my hometown).
There's one tim hortons.

There are no words for SDM.
And @jhan... University Plaza, Westdale, Dundurn...
not sure I follow your logic.
whoa.
there are 3 tim hortons just within the 5km radius near limeridge mall, and they're all owned by the same person.
Old 12-19-2011 at 09:06 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Theres a shopper drug mart in that same plaza (university plaza) as the LCBO 5 min bus away. An LCBO would probably generate more money though.

Beer store would be nice too. The closest one on cootes isnt horribly far but its still annoying.
There's a shoppers in Westdale though... unless the they build a bigger one that also sells actual food.

julianface likes this.
Old 12-19-2011 at 09:48 AM   #15
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
whoa.
there are 3 tim hortons just within the 5km radius near limeridge mall, and they're all owned by the same person.
3 around Dundurn plaza.