Religion 1D06 Biochem47 Academics 1 04-27-2011 01:42 PM
Religion on campus jo87 General Discussion 223 04-02-2010 04:06 PM

End of Religion

Old 12-03-2013 at 10:08 AM   #1
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

End of Religion
So been thinking a bit lately about all the different religions existing, and how people get so up in arms over which religion is the right religion. Wars are started over religious beliefs which i cant help but find completely juvenile and ridiculous.
Why doesnt the world just completely abolish all forms of religion? Sorry but just gonna let everyone know now, you are just worshiping a fictional novel that people hundreds of years ago wrote. Why not stop praising some holy ghost, and instead work on creating a more open community where we dont have the barriers that religion seems to cause between people. In my opinion, religious slander is far worse than racial slander.
Religion imo, is just a way to put distance between people of different ethnic backgrounds, so why keep these barriers up when we should be striving towards a unified future? Just a bit of a rant i wanted to make, make of it what you will!
Old 12-03-2013 at 10:19 AM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

http://www.religiousforums.c om/for...gious-debates/

Spare us the shit storm, please.

kshk_s, RiskBreaker all say thanks to MrPlinkett for this post.

Old 12-03-2013 at 10:27 AM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

/r/atheism is leaking

Esoremada likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 11:36 AM   #4
Suspect

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
So been thinking a bit lately about all the different religions existing, and how people get so up in arms over which religion is the right religion. Wars are started over religious beliefs which i cant help but find completely juvenile and ridiculous.
Why doesnt the world just completely abolish all forms of religion? Sorry but just gonna let everyone know now, you are just worshiping a fictional novel that people hundreds of years ago wrote. Why not stop praising some holy ghost, and instead work on creating a more open community where we dont have the barriers that religion seems to cause between people. In my opinion, religious slander is far worse than racial slander.
Religion imo, is just a way to put distance between people of different ethnic backgrounds, so why keep these barriers up when we should be striving towards a unified future? Just a bit of a rant i wanted to make, make of it what you will!
Dearest Benjamin, after viewing the nonsense you just conjured i am convinced that the devil is you. I suggest you repent.

RiskBreaker likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 11:58 AM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

haaaaaahahahahaha
Old 12-03-2013 at 12:24 PM   #6
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

That is blasphemy!!! How dare you oppose the one true god, FSM!!!!

But the trolling on this forum is pretty sad...
Old 12-03-2013 at 12:27 PM   #7
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Wars are started over religious beliefs which i cant help but find completely juvenile and ridiculous.
Having heard this argument in the past, I'd just like to point out that if people weren't using religion as an excuse for war, etc., you can be sure they'd find something else.

Other than that statement, I think I'll resist being drawn into the "shit storm".
Old 12-03-2013 at 01:27 PM   #8
yoonbora

Liked: 11 Times

first year out of catholic school?
Old 12-03-2013 at 02:40 PM   #9
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
http://youtu.be/uq-v1TTUyhM

marysmowton likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 03:05 PM   #10
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
Dearest Benjamin, after viewing the nonsense you just conjured i am convinced that the devil is you. I suggest you repent.
Please specify which devil.. as i want to know what bed time story - i mean religious text - i should be developing my opinion of this devil from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
That is blasphemy!!! How dare you oppose the one true god, FSM!!!!

But the trolling on this forum is pretty sad...
I find it funny actually how people say that pastafarianism is ridiculous. How is it any more ridiculous than a virgin being pregnant, a man making wine from water, or rising from the dead? (yes i know i only used christianity as a reference) Just saying, if people claim to believe in religions of their choice, there is no reason that pastafarianism shouldnt be taken seriously as a legitimate religion... i hate myself for saying that haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Having heard this argument in the past, I'd just like to point out that if people weren't using religion as an excuse for war, etc., you can be sure they'd find something else.

Other than that statement, I think I'll resist being drawn into the "shit storm".
I agree with you on that point. Its like violence in the world, there will always be guns. That doesnt mean though that we shouldnt take away the ammunition if we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoonbora View Post
first year out of catholic school?
Yes... the guy ranting about religion would have attended catholic schooling.
Also, my status shows alumni.. unless Mac is a catholic school (it is not) your statement shows a lack of attention to detail on your part. Hopefully you can take comfort in the fact that no one aside from yourself lol'd or lmao'd at your comment
Old 12-03-2013 at 03:23 PM   #11
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

I'm reporting this thread to Mr. Christ
Old 12-03-2013 at 03:46 PM   #12
hungdaddy

Liked: 22 Times

jesus has touched me very deeply. I just cant stop thinking about him
Old 12-03-2013 at 03:55 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You should watch that south park episode of the spotted cow
Old 12-03-2013 at 06:30 PM   #14
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
You should watch that south park episode of the spotted cow
It wasnt that good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
I'm reporting this thread to Mr. Christ
Dont expect any response or acknowledgement of your report
Old 12-03-2013 at 11:26 PM   #15
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Arguing against the existence of God is just a waste of time.
No matter how convincing your arguments are, they are going to be meaningless to a believer.
Even the brightest scientist in the world would not be able to convince a true believer.
Why? Because you're speaking a different language. Religions don't speak 'empiricism' as we normally do in Science, and their language is simply the words of God.
To them, whatever the God says is right and true.
So whatever we, the ones who pursue Science, say to them is absolutely meaningless.
In scientific view, the believers have a 'theory' that can never be tested or be falsifiable. So again, whatever they say to us is absolutely meaningless since science puts no value in such theories.

That being said, although I am not religious to any degree, I still find some values to having religions. You mentioned that "religion is just a way to put distance between people of different ethnic backgrounds", but I disagree. Different culture is what really puts distance between people of different ethnic backgrounds, and religion, quite ironically, can actually break some of those cultural barriers. For example, many White people, Asians, and Black people are Christians, and so they can be quite interactive. Of course, you would be right if we were only considering some of the other religions that are kind of restricted to limited groups of ethnicity.

Recently, I've heard this rumor that religion is fading away in many developed countries (I haven't checked this out myself though)
Since science is the only thing that is improving everyday, I have this strong belief that religions will eventually disappear in distant future before human civilization disappears. But again, humans are weak, and we need some Godlike figure that we can really rely on. So I'm not 100% certain with my belief sometimes. One thing I can guarantee, though, is that the number of believers will decrease eventually, at least in developed countries.
Just be patient if you don't like religions

akikokoyoki, BenDover like this.