religion electives help! maryam17 Academics 2 06-22-2009 08:06 AM
Philosophy and Religion electives voracious Academics 1 06-13-2008 08:42 AM

Religion on campus

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:16 PM   #1
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Religion on campus
I don't think it appropriate to have displays of religion on school proprety. Religion doesn't belong in a public institution, but in your house and place of worship. Can we please stop with the religion graffiti all over the campus. Just my rant.

Cassanova, ViktorVaughn like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 05:40 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well, I agree, but I'm probably a little bit more extreme (I think religion should be abolished completely... )

I personally think that religion is a personal and private thing, just like if you're a closet racist, and the things you do in your bedroom. Keep it to yourself.

There are designated places to practice religion (ie: churches) and I don't go into churches and shove my belief of no god down their throats. Or spam their parking lot with my beliefs.

-readies myself and jo87 for the backlash that's about to ensue- xD

Edit: I think some people are going to rebute with "but you're okay with political spamming on campus?" (or something similar)

And I think the difference is that politics affect everyone, whether if you vote or not or care or don't care.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.

KayakerDan, ViktorVaughn like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 05:42 PM   #3
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

just a few questions:
is the problem with all graffiti or just religious graffiti?
do you consider it graffiti because it is about religion?
Old 03-11-2010 at 05:50 PM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocchiarella View Post
just a few questions:
graffitti is graffiti and it doesn't belong in an institution for learning. If the entire campus was spammed with I Can Has Cheezburger?, im certain a lot of people would have issues with it. Its just a really tacky campaign and i believe its giving Campus for Christ a bad name.

Last edited by healthsci1 : 03-11-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:52 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
graffitti is graffiti and it doesn't belong in a higher place of learning. If the entire campus was spammed with I Can Has Cheezburger?, im certain a lot of people would have issues. Its just a really tacky campaign and i believe is giving Campus for Christ a bad name.
oh WOW, THAT'S MADE ME LOL HARD.
I can see it now.

Can I spam campus with "OVER 9000?!"
After all, it's practically my life motto. xD

Old 03-11-2010 at 05:56 PM   #6
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
graffitti is graffiti and it doesn't belong in an institution for learning. If the entire campus was spammed with I Can Has Cheezburger?, im certain a lot of people would have issues with it. Its just a really tacky campaign and i believe its giving Campus for Christ a bad name.
another question (i hope you dont think im trying to contradict you, just trying to focus your arguement and facilitate conversation):

does graffiti have a place?
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:01 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
another question (i hope you dont think im trying to contradict you, just trying to focus your arguement and facilitate conversation):

does graffiti have a place?
Unwanted graffiti? Generally, no.

But graffiti can be used extremely well for marketing. I've seen some stores/businesses that hired artists to graffiti the sides of their buildings with their slogan or to have a picture that represents the business, and it almost always looks FANTASTIC.

That's my take on it anyways. I know the question wasn't directed to me.

Edit: if you grafitti your own house/driveway, that's your prerogative. but the university grounds aren't your canvas.

Old 03-11-2010 at 06:05 PM   #8
healthsci1
Elite Member

Yes graffiti is best when its used to demonstrate artistic talents and the government has designated areas for this which require a permit. For example in California, specifically in venice beach there are areas with graffiti and it really makes the area alluring. Personally i don't have an issue with religion, but graffiti everywhere i do. Theres KGB written in front of the stair area of Hamilton Hall, on the Steps and on the Rails. Im flabbergasted at how the university is allowing this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:13 PM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
graffitti is graffiti and it doesn't belong in an institution for learning.
Is that also gonna go for welcome week, which has a ton of graffiti, and I believe has a graffiti night?
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:18 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
just a few questions:

The problem is that this is a public university, not a grafitti wall. Doesn't matter if its about religion, or politics, it doesn't have a place on campus. Religion is a personal choice, so it should be kept in your house or where you worship. If you want to grafitti the wall in your house with messages about religion go for it. Im not paying into MSU clubs so they make tacky messages all over the campus which don't represent views of all the MSU memebers. Anyone visitng the campus is going to think McMaster discriminates against religions. If we are going to promote one religion we might as well promote all, imagine what that would look like.

macsci, wienerjc like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:22 PM   #11
healthsci1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Is that also gonna go for welcome week, which has a ton of graffiti, and I believe has a graffiti night?
Its a different type of graffiti it promotes unity among first years and representing mcmaster. KGP does not create unity it creates a division between Religious and non religious and if you take a look here
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...EQkM8ojFe8TpZQ
all actions are governed by Mcmaster rules and one of the points is the celebration of diversity. KGP does not celebrate diversity it in turn coerces individuals towards the idea of God.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:25 PM   #12
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

I assume that the group has permission to write the chalk messages (if permission is required for something so temporary), and it's certainly not the first time I've seen this method used on campus. Yes, they're very persistent, to the point of annoying most people, it seems. But I don't think there is anything wrong with what they're doing.

On the other hand, some of the counter-graffiti I've seen in the last couple days borders very close on hate. I can understand that may people don't want to see religious messages on campus, but I'm more concerned with seeing such strong discrimination and hate in our university.

tl;dr - annoying, sure; but countering with hate is... concerning

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:26 PM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Come on we all know what this is about. It's about the abolishment of religion. The invented right to "freedom FROM religion". No such right exists it is indeed to the "Freedom of religion" the right to choose your religion: muslim, christian, snakehandler or atheist (as the rush song goes "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"). It also allows people to promote whatever they want in public (that goes along with the oh so inconvenient freedom of speech). Choice of underwear is something that doesn't need to be telegraphed yet no one would think twice about underwear advertisements. The fact is the University is a public place and if you want to hide from religious individuals don't go out in public. Likewise (before anyone bites my head off) I think the same thing applies to people who got upset about the atheist marketing campaign with the bus signs ("There's probably no God so stop worrying"). I mean if you don't want to be exposed to a wide range of ideas, opinions and worldviews then stay out of public places. Simple as that.

camais likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:28 PM   #14
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Its a different type of graffiti it promotes unity among first years and representing mcmaster. KGP does not create unity it creates a division between Religious and non religious and if you take a look here
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...EQkM8ojFe8TpZQ
all actions are governed by Mcmaster rules and one of the points is the celebration of diversity. KGP does not celebrate diversity it in turn coerces individuals towards the idea of God.
You were the one saying "graffitti is graffiti and it doesn't belong in an institution for learning." So i guess your issue is with religious graffiti, not graffiti in general, as you previously stated.

I fail to see how it coerces anyone into doing anything. Its asking a question, and putting their philosophy out there. Theyre not rounding people up, tying them to chairs, and brainwashing them with religious propaganda. People are still free to decide whether or not to attend their info sessions. When that freedom is lost, we can talk about coercion.

Afzal, Mahratta like this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 06:31 PM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm not a religious person, but I don't think religion should be removed from campus. I think it's okay for there to be religious groups and clubs, just like there are groups and clubs for other hobbies, beliefs, etc.

I really dislike all the chalking though. One or two times at the main points of campus (once infront of MUSC and once in the Arts quad, for example) is okay, but this is overboard. In my opinion, this group is becoming very obnoxious with their advertising - chalking every few feet of concrete (including near the hospital which is not right in my opinion), standing infront of people in MUSC when they are walking through, and coming up to people while they are sitting and eating. It's annoying. I've never had a problem with Campus for Christ or any other group on campus before this. It is too much and I think they need to be respectful of other students' space.

Afzal, camais like this.