lolwut

You're beyond special, maybe you should KGP
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:26 PM   #47
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
The current KGP campaign, which is related to the thread topic, is in the form of a question.

Can you know God personally?
if so, How do you know God personally? Do you know God personally?
Any answer to the question is acceptable, no one is trying to box you into anything.

Shoving down throats:
I don't know about you but when I hear the phrase "Forcing religion upon someone" I tend to think of Constantine, you know, the whole convert or die thing. I don't think that chalk has the power to force anything upon anyone. If chalking is forcing religion then what do you call Constantine's tactics?
If people approach you about God and you don't want to talk to them, say "Go away" in whatever degree/form of politeness you feel like. I promise they'll leave.
I definately don't think anyone is "forcing" anything; I just think it's to the point that it's beyond unnecessary and it has become annoying. I shouldn't have to avoid going through the student centre because I don't want them bothering me. I was only there for an hour the other day and they talked to me twice. I was as nice as I could be, but I just wanted to eat my lunch. They stood infront of me on the way out too.

I know they will leave if you tell them too, but I think it's just a lot of unnecessary crap for students to go through. I don't know. I think they should have gone about this advertising some other way. Only write the event in chalk a couple times on campus, stand to the side when handing out papers, don't bug people when they're sitting down/eating, etc. I mean, every other group and club handles that perfectly fine on campus, I wish KGP could too.

arathbon says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:33 PM   #48
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I definately don't think anyone is "forcing" anything; I just think it's to the point that it's beyond unnecessary and it has become annoying. I shouldn't have to avoid going through the student centre because I don't want them bothering me. I was only there for an hour the other day and they talked to me twice. I was as nice as I could be, but I just wanted to eat my lunch. They stood infront of me on the way out too.

I know they will leave if you tell them too, but I think it's just a lot of unnecessary crap for students to go through. I don't know. I think they should have gone about this advertising some other way. Only write the event in chalk a couple times on campus, stand to the side when handing out papers, don't bug people when they're sitting down/eating, etc. I mean, every other group and club handles that perfectly fine on campus, I wish KGP could too.
I think generally Kathy has been the most reasonable person during the threads on these topics. Just because you're promoting an event (religious or other wise) doesn't make it cool to annoy people.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:36 PM   #49
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I think generally Kathy has been the most reasonable person during the threads on these topics. Just because you're promoting an event (religious or other wise) doesn't make it cool to annoy people.
Thanks
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:37 PM   #50
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I'm sorry if we annoy you :( it isn't our intent.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:42 PM   #51
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm sorry if we annoy you :( it isn't our intent.
I'm not sure if you're the person running this, but maybe someone could tell the members/volunteers not to physically stand infront of people in the student centre when handing out the papers, and not to go up to people when they're sitting down? I think that would help a lot.

wienerjc likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:49 PM   #52
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

I definitely should have mentioned this earlier, on the issue of the sheer amount of chalk being annoying.

One of my friends, the night he got back from chalking... his comment was along the lines of "next time, we go for quality over quantity", meaning, even at the time it was understood that it was overdone for sheer amount. It's kind of hard to take back what has been done.

If you ever go out campaigning though, you will discover that it is INCREDIBLY easy to go overboard.
Old 03-11-2010 at 08:50 PM   #53
killza

Liked: 105 Times

It would be awesome if we can just get some real graffti artists and draw really awesome CLEAN graffti art on our pavements and change it as the season goes... that would make our university pretty special =)

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:04 PM   #54
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

That would be cool. And definitely unique of a university *that I know of*

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:05 PM   #55
Theophilus

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're the person running this, but maybe someone could tell the members/volunteers not to physically stand infront of people in the student centre when handing out the papers, and not to go up to people when they're sitting down? I think that would help a lot.
Thanks for the feedback I'll mention it to the coordinators. I totally agree that we shouldn't block the flow of traffic.

As to people coming up to you, personally I don't think it has to be annoying.
"Hi were from a club on campus, campus for christ, and were just wondering if we could talk to you about some spiritual things.",
"No thanks."
"OK have a good day."

Even though we may still disagree, I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion.
(please read my the tone in my post in the least weinerish way, ie im not trying to be a weiner )
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:09 PM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback I'll mention it to the coordinators. I totally agree that we shouldn't block the flow of traffic.

"Hi were from a club on campus, campus for christ, and were just wondering if we could talk to you about some spiritual things.",
"No thanks."
"OK have a good day."

Even though we may still disagree, I understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion.
(please read my the tone in my post in the least weinerish way, ie im not trying to be a weiner )
True enough, but don't you think if people were interested in christ or about this, they would approach you?

If I purposely avoid you/the booth, the last thing I want is to be approached.

And it's not just b/c I'm not religious, or the whole thing annoys me in general. This is my viewpoint with the MSU president elections, etc.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

dadanny likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:13 PM   #57
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:

"No thanks."
"OK have a good day."

I understand the intent is not to annoy people. I get what you're saying, but it's annoying when I have to do that three times in one hour, you know?
Thanks for letting the coordinator know about this

Theophilus says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:16 PM   #58
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

i was walking with a friend a few days ago and he said, "what does KGP stand for again? keep god personal? because that's something i could get behind."
so now, that's what i think whenever i see it.

Maegs likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:17 PM   #59
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
I understand the intent is not to annoy people. I get what you're saying, but it's annoying when I have to do that three times in one hour, you know?
Thanks for letting the coordinator know about this
In the Scouting movement there is "Apple day" where scouts solicit donations and give apples as thank you, for the upkeep of the camps so scouts can afford to go camping. We give out little tags to wear so no one bothers you if you wear it. It's too bad it would probably be impractical to do something similar.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:18 PM   #60
Theophilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
True enough, but don't you think if people were interested in christ or about this, they would approach you?
Sometimes, sometimes not, and sometimes people have never heard about Jesus before. Some people approached think it is really cool, the initiative conversation thing. Other people are indifferent and others don't appreciate it. On very rare occasions people flip out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If I purposely avoid you/the booth, the last thing I want is to be approached.
Fair enough