Philosophy and Religion electives voracious Academics 1 06-13-2008 08:42 AM

Religion on campus

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:20 PM   #61
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I'm sorry if we annoy you :( it isn't our intent.
I haven't been particularly annoyed by anything, but I just meant in general that perhaps some members are not doing things in the best way. I know it isn't your intent. Sorry if you misunderstood.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:23 PM   #62
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
i was walking with a friend a few days ago and he said, "what does KGP stand for again? keep god personal? because that's something i could get behind."
so now, that's what i think whenever i see it.
If true, doesn't that imply that all religions are equally valid paths to God? (if he exists)
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:24 PM   #63
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Sometimes, sometimes not, and sometimes people have never heard about Jesus before. Some people approached think it is really cool, the initiative conversation thing. Other people are indifferent and others don't appreciate it. On very rare occasions people flip out.

Fair enough
This might be really ignorant of me, but how hasn't anyone heard of Jesus before?
Well, I guess it could happen. I remember when I took gr11 english in night school.. the teacher told us to do something about the adam and eve story... and 2 girls had never heard of the story. my jaw kinda dropped. I mean, I hate religion with everything that's in me, and I know the story. xD

But in this case though, I think almost everyone at Mac either knows about KGP, or has seen the chalking enough to inquire about what it means. Hence, if they wanted to know more or even just know what it stands for, they would approach you upon seeing the booth/table. You've made yourselves perfectly available, I think you should let people come to you now. That's just my opinion though.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:31 PM   #64
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
If true, doesn't that imply that all religions are equally valid paths to God? (if he exists)

i....have absolutely no idea how you got that from what i said. i meant 'keep god personal' in that if you love jesus and whatnot hey, that's just peachy but keep it to yourself.

scott000 likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:32 PM   #65
Theophilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
This might be really ignorant of me, but how hasn't anyone heard of Jesus before?
Well, I guess it could happen. I remember when I took gr11 english in night school.. the teacher told us to do something about the adam and eve story... and 2 girls had never heard of the story. my jaw kinda dropped. I mean, I hate religion with everything that's in me, and I know the story. xD
I know right? You might think they've been living under a rock. But if you consider it, a lot of international students might not have heard before. Particularly from officially atheistic countries like China. (where there used to be laws against the non-governmental church.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
But in this case though, I think almost everyone at Mac either knows about KGP, or has seen the chalking enough to inquire about what it means. Hence, if they wanted to know more or even just know what it stands for, they would approach you upon seeing the booth/table. You've made yourselves perfectly available, I think you should let people come to you now. That's just my opinion though.
Ah well, you might be right that it is overkill right now, but we do it (initiative conversations) all year long so it is sort of overlapping right now, and they will probably initiate with KGP cause it is relevant.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:40 PM   #66
Theophilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
i....have absolutely no idea how you got that from what i said. i meant 'keep god personal' in that if you love jesus and whatnot hey, that's just peachy but keep it to yourself.
Ah sorry, I kept it short and vague just in case you didn't want to continue our convo

I'll elaborate, if Christianity is true, that you should love Jesus, then Jesus also tells you to go tell other people about Him so that they can share in the spiritual truth. You can't keep it to yourself. If it is true, then it is like a cure for spiritual cancer. Would you keep the cure to yourself?
The only reason to keep it to yourself is if their spiritual worldview is also a cure for spiritual cancer (or they believe there is no spiritual cancer, etc) but that means that all spiritual worldviews are equal cures/paths to God.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:41 PM   #67
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I know when John Lennon made his infamous comment about being bigger than Jesus, he meant it in the sense of more people had heard of the Beatles than Jesus.

And while at the time it might have been true that a large segment of people had never heard of Jesus, this is the age of information and globalization. I don't think you'd be able to find someone at Mac who actually hasn't heard of Jesus. Even on a global scale I'd say the number is close to 100%.

aaront likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:45 PM   #68
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I know when John Lennon made his infamous comment about being bigger than Jesus, he meant it in the sense of more people had heard of the Beatles than Jesus.

And while at the time it might have been true that a large segment of people had never heard of Jesus, this is the age of information and globalization. I don't think you'd be able to find someone at Mac who actually hasn't heard of Jesus. Even on a global scale I'd say the number is close to 100%.
Even then... there's 3 things that come up on the internet:
a) hitler
b) religion
c) americans

I dunno how anyone can't know about jesus in this day.

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:46 PM   #69
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

A.Marlowe, you would be incredibly surprised then. I have personally only taken the time to go talk with people about 4 times. In that 1 person had never heard of Jesus, 1 person knew the name because he was "catholic" but had never heard anything beyond the name, 1 person knew the general story and didn't care, and 1 knew the story and was interested in hearing more.
Crazy numbers for a politically "christian" society. Even if it is become more of a historic title.
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:03 PM   #70
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Ah sorry, I kept it short and vague just in case you didn't want to continue our convo

I'll elaborate, if Christianity is true, that you should love Jesus, then Jesus also tells you to go tell other people about Him so that they can share in the spiritual truth. You can't keep it to yourself. If it is true, then it is like a cure for spiritual cancer. Would you keep the cure to yourself?
The only reason to keep it to yourself is if their spiritual worldview is also a cure for spiritual cancer (or they believe there is no spiritual cancer, etc) but that means that all spiritual worldviews are equal cures/paths to God.

alright, i've tried to stay out of the whole religious debates thus far because i have some VERY strong opinions on the matter and i don't want to get sucked in or offend anyone. so all i'm going to say is...it's nice how devoted/faithful you are. really, sometimes i wish i could believe in an afterlife or some sort of being that watches out for me (or whatever jebus is supposed to do). but...i just can't. and please don't take that to mean, "oh, i want to see the light, please educate me." have you heard of plato's allegory of the cave? as someone who's left the cave and seen the world for what it really is, there is no way i could ever live in that cave again.

Taunton likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:14 PM   #71
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I must say all the chalking does look bad (regardless of the message). This is a campus for learning not advertising on every bleary road and building. It looks bad when it gets overused not to mention frustrating when the profs have to erase all the boards in the class first thing in the morning that have all the ads on them. If I wanted ads I'd tune into a television station or radio program.

Ya ya ya bring on the counter-arguments you argumentative bunch of macinisders

. Why is it whenever I see religious arguments I always think about george carlins great comedy routines....
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:17 PM   #72
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
I must say all the chalking does look bad (regardless of the message). This is a campus for learning not advertising on every bleary road and building. It looks bad when it gets overused not to mention frustrating when the profs have to erase all the boards in the class first thing in the morning that have all the ads on them. If I wanted ads I'd tune into a television station or radio program.

Ya ya ya bring on the counter-arguments you argumentative bunch of macinisders

. Why is it whenever I see religious arguments I always think about george carlins great comedy routines....
because he's one of the most amazing people to ever populate this craphole of a planet.

;D

Old 03-11-2010 at 10:44 PM   #73
tbiris

Liked: 1 Time

I have to admit, I've gotten so sick of seeing KGP everywhere I've been praying for it to rain already (to no avail).

I'd rather it were in one to four main places in more detail, than just KGP everywhere. Because honestly, I don't go to the student centre that often. If I WAS interested, I wouldn't have a clue it was going on. Just that there was some annoying group writing KGP everywhere.

So I would agree the person that said quality over quantity. Next time, plan it out in advance maybe? Location and information.
Old 03-11-2010 at 11:41 PM   #74
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
A.Marlowe, you would be incredibly surprised then. I have personally only taken the time to go talk with people about 4 times. In that 1 person had never heard of Jesus, 1 person knew the name because he was "catholic" but had never heard anything beyond the name, 1 person knew the general story and didn't care, and 1 knew the story and was interested in hearing more.
Crazy numbers for a politically "christian" society. Even if it is become more of a historic title.
Not to be mean, but I think its unlikely that they were being truthful. When someone approaches me to talk about their religion I usually pretend to be interested while being as non-committal as possible. You never know exactly how hardcore that person is, so its easier to feign ignorance than to tell them that you don't believe. While I'm sure you're not crazy or anything, in general people who approach you about that type of thing are a bit out there.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:19 AM   #75
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Not to be mean, but I think its unlikely that they were being truthful. When someone approaches me to talk about their religion I usually pretend to be interested while being as non-committal as possible. You never know exactly how hardcore that person is, so its easier to feign ignorance than to tell them that you don't believe. While I'm sure you're not crazy or anything, in general people who approach you about that type of thing are a bit out there.
A few key points in there.

Quote:
unlikely that they were being truthful
When it comes to talking about religion, it's generally relatively easy to see when someone is lying (or uninterested) in something. In the case of the guy who had never heard of Jesus, he was a first year from some other part of the world. And he was interested enough in a 3 hour discussion to hear what there was to know.
The "catholic" guy is the one that fits under your description, and to tell you the truth, the guy who isn't really interested in what you're saying but "puts up" with you for some inane reason, is actually as annoying to me as I am to him.
If you don't want to talk religion, then don't.

Quote:
in general people who approach you about that type of thing are a bit out there.
If the reason you "put up" with hearing about religion is to get a chance to hear one of the "out there" guys, then at least do the "not so out there" guys a favour and either turn the conversation to something interesting to you, or end it.

and, I guess I covered most of it under the first quote.
Some day I will learn to actually write again. 2 full years without writing a paper has done its damage.