Religion 2M03 Lizz87 2nd Year Course Reviews 5 06-09-2014 01:12 PM
religion electives help! maryam17 Academics 2 06-22-2009 08:06 AM
Philosophy and Religion electives voracious Academics 1 06-13-2008 08:42 AM

Religion on campus

Old 03-12-2010 at 01:02 AM   #76
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

I hear my name, whats going on?!

Anyways, chalk isn't that bad ya big babies... but I do find it frustrating to be approached by god's marketing team (Evangelicals) on the regular (as if the guy/gal isn't powerful enough to sell itself like in the Old Testament). I get A LOT of Jehovah's in my home town and every time they come to my door, I'm so tempted to ask them about their several dozen apocalyptic predictions over the last two centuries that have failed to come true... but I digress. Nothing wrong with having a booth and advertising events, but approaching me as an unwashed spiritual barbarian who needs a telepathic connection with your god because I was born a bad person thanks to some naked chick and her bf that I've never met DOES come off as condescending no matter the packaging.
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:04 AM   #77
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Just a note: chalk is now being used to advertise for an MacMSA (McMaster Muslim Student's Association) event as well, and I saw one that might have been a third thing.

I'm relatively sure the reason that MSU Presidential candidates and SRA candidates aren't allowed to use chalk any more was because of the overuse that made the campus look tacky. If enough other clubs start chalking advertisements for events, clubs will probably lose that privilege.
will talk to the people who might be responsible to stop this in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
a) I think you're just trolling to see if Kathy actually blocked you, rofl.
and
b) I'd sooner die than resort to prayer. XDD

I want to hear your views when you're 70

Last edited by Afzal : 03-12-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2010 at 01:08 AM   #78
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
... but approaching me as an unwashed spiritual barbarian who needs a telepathic connection with your god because I was born a bad person thanks to some naked chick and her bf that I've never met DOES come off as condescending no matter the packaging.
I appreciate your comment about the chalk

The true Christian worldview does not permit its holder to look down upon another human being.
The reason that someone who holds a true Christian worldview would approach you and share with you would be to share this great joy that they have found.
Old 03-12-2010 at 02:12 AM   #79
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
I get A LOT of Jehovah's in my home town and every time they come to my door, I'm so tempted to ask them about their several dozen apocalyptic predictions over the last two centuries that have failed to come true...
I once argued with a Jehova, and they took my name down and then kept returning and asking for me personally :S Fortunately I was away from the house every other time they came to my place.

Now I just don't answer the door.

Religion on campus? No, ideally there would be no religion on campus, and no religion in the world... however the world is far from ideal, so we just have to put up with the irrational superstitions of others. Just part of life unfortunately.

Last edited by Taunton : 03-12-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2010 at 02:13 AM   #80
gb88

Liked: 0 Times

Raining in Hamilon
Don't worry all. It is going to rain on Friday in Hamilton. All worries should be washed away.
Old 03-12-2010 at 07:37 AM   #81
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I once argued with a Jehova, and they took my name down and then kept returning and asking for me personally :S
You fool! Don't you know that just makes them STRONGER?!
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:23 AM   #82
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I once argued with a Jehova, and they took my name down and then kept returning and asking for me personally :S Fortunately I was away from the house every other time they came to my place.

Now I just don't answer the door.

Religion on campus? No, ideally there would be no religion on campus, and no religion in the world... however the world is far from ideal, so we just have to put up with the irrational superstitions of others. Just part of life unfortunately.
I know if you say that you're apostate they aren't allowed to talk to you, you can say that if you aren't afraid of them doing something worse :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldv View Post
A few key points in there.

When it comes to talking about religion, it's generally relatively easy to see when someone is lying (or uninterested) in something. In the case of the guy who had never heard of Jesus, he was a first year from some other part of the world. And he was interested enough in a 3 hour discussion to hear what there was to know.
The "catholic" guy is the one that fits under your description, and to tell you the truth, the guy who isn't really interested in what you're saying but "puts up" with you for some inane reason, is actually as annoying to me as I am to him.
If you don't want to talk religion, then don't.

If the reason you "put up" with hearing about religion is to get a chance to hear one of the "out there" guys, then at least do the "not so out there" guys a favour and either turn the conversation to something interesting to you, or end it.

and, I guess I covered most of it under the first quote.
Some day I will learn to actually write again. 2 full years without writing a paper has done its damage.
Fair enough. Its just a few too many experiences where "Sorry, I'm not interested" just prompted them trying even harder that led me, and probably many, to the point where its easier to pretend to be interested. I know I'm pretty outspoken online, but in real life I'm shy and nervous.

I didn't mean to imply I'm doing it to be entertained by the out there ones, I meant that I'm too intimidated to tell them that I don't believe. Its not exactly easy to tell the two apart =/
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:31 AM   #83
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I don't care if there's religion on campus. I really don't care about chalking either, but this is too excessive - much like the "I am glad you were born" campaign by McMaster Lifeline.

Less is more.
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:38 AM   #84
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't care if there's religion on campus. I really don't care about chalking either, but this is too excessive - much like the "I am glad you were born" campaign by McMaster Lifeline.

Less is more.
What was this?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-12-2010 at 11:56 AM   #85
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What was this?
A little while ago, a pro-life group on campus chalked sayings like "I'm glad you were born" and "I'm glad your mom had you" all over the place.

Similar to "KDP" (Know Darwin Personally) and "KGB", some people started writing "I'm glad my mom had a choice".

scott000 likes this.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:01 PM   #86
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
A little while ago, a pro-life group on campus chalked sayings like "I'm glad you were born" and "I'm glad your mom had you" all over the place.

Similar to "KDP" (Know Darwin Personally) and "KGB", some people started writing "I'm glad my mom had a choice".
I hate how every issue these days come down to clever and not so clever phrases rather than a real discussion.

Also, I think that Darwin is a poor example for atheists. Perhaps it should be Know Dawkins Personally.
Old 03-12-2010 at 12:39 PM   #87
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I hate how every issue these days come down to clever and not so clever phrases rather than a real discussion.

Also, I think that Darwin is a poor example for atheists. Perhaps it should be Know Dawkins Personally.
I agree, but when someone puts a message like "I'm glad your mom had you", I think they are expecting people to say things back.

They could have easily written "Prolife meeting" or whatever their group name is. I think they wanted to spark some kind of contraversy. Maybe not, but that's how it came off to me.
Old 03-12-2010 at 02:30 PM   #88
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Chalking hasn't been allowed for presidential campaigns for years; I don't recall any from my first year (2005 elections), so I think it has been a rule for quite some time now.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-12-2010 at 02:57 PM   #89
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

rain erased most of the chalking God For The Win haha
Old 03-12-2010 at 03:50 PM   #90
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

This topic came up at Mills, while some dudes were eating on the ground.
Religion should not intertwine with a public institution, for obvious reasons.

Rejection of religion doesn't mean lack of morals.
And that, I think, is what this is really about. It’s morality in reverse - the thinking is that I hold this belief, so I’m going to ascribe importance (and magical, mythical reverence) to documents that agree with me.

Just my two cents.