MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Any Reviews on ANTHRO 2W03, THEATRE & FILM 2FA3, RELIG ST 2M03 iiiZA Academics 3 08-16-2010 10:11 AM
religion electives help! maryam17 Academics 2 06-22-2009 08:06 AM
CSCT/English 2M03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 06-12-2008 11:27 PM

Religion 2M03

Religion 2M03
Death and Dying- Eastern Cultures
Published by Lizz87
06-25-2008
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 65%
Religion 2M03

I took this course as a Health Studies Minor requirement.
The class focused on death and dying perspectives in Eastern cultures.
The course material was very interesting, and we got to watch a bunch of films from various cultures on their dying traditions.

The downfall of the class was that it was difficult to do well because most of the course weight relied on participation and our final assignment. We were not able to find out about participation marks until after the course was over.

Over all Dr. Ross was a pretty good prof, she was really nice and answered a lot of questions and always made it to her office hours to address student concerns.

The final assignment was a bit morbid, as we had to write about our own funeral.

Course Breakdown:
5% Assignment
30% Mid-Term
25% Participation ( this was broken down into webct participation, class attendance and a tutorial component)
40% Final

moops, sotriangluar all say thanks to Lizz87 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Religion 2M03!

Old 07-14-2009 at 05:34 PM   #2
**jewel 03**
Program: Health Studies
Year: Fourth

Liked: Liked 2 Times
According to the calendar Pearson is teaching it this year, anyone know anything about her, like what her classes are like?
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-24-2011 at 04:09 PM   #3
lalanisb
Program: Religious Studies and Sociology
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
I loved this course! Dr. Ross is by far the kindest, most understanding prof I've had at Mac.
The content was really interesting, and I think it would be good for anyone who feels like they need to confront death. It shows you a lot of different perspectives from around the world. You'll learn things you could never imagine.

Participation marks come form online participation, which makes it easier for those of us who don't like speaking up in class. I'd say it has an average amount of reading and she marks fairly. The final assignment is planning your own funeral. Personally, i loved the assignment because it had tons of room for you to express yourself, explore your ideas, and be creative.

If you're considering taking this course at some point, I would definitely recommend it!
Old 12-23-2011 at 05:36 PM   #4
tarakyt
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
I completely agree. Dr. Ross is the most chillest prof I've ever met. I've had the most fascinating conversations with her.
The course is easy however the readings are heavier and a bit dense, nonetheless interesting. Participation marks are quite easy to get however it depends on the T.A that you have.

Old 12-21-2012 at 07:52 AM   #5
chryslad
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Alumni

Liked: 5 Times
Fall 2012
I just took this course and it has changed a lot from what has been posted.

Dr. Pearson taught it. There were very few students who liked her - she was quiet, unorganized, monotone and made the course dull. She would rant about her experiences with no relevance to the course. She also made mistakes on the quizzes (made the wrong answers correct), and neglected to fix her error.

The breakdown was:
Tutorial attendance: 5%
Short assignments (3 @ 6%): 18%
Online quizzes (6): 17%
Essay outline: 5%
Essay: 30%
Exam: 25%

The great part of this course was that there was no midterm, and Dr. Pearson gave us the three exam questions to prepare for prior to the exam. The exam was 25 multiple choice (almost all of which were taken directly from the quizzes) and the three essay questions.

The short assignments were on different chapter readings throughout the term; a two page reflection/analysis.

The online quizzes were biweekly. They were fairly difficult, and sometimes be on material that we had not yet covered in class.

The essay could be a formal thesis on a topic of your choice, or you could plan your own funeral. It was actually a really interesting essay to write. I planned my wake and funeral, incorporating different aspects from the religions we had learned about. The essay was 8-10 pages.

Overall, the course was fairly easy. I think that my TA had a lot to do with this though; he was a fairly easy marker. There's a lot of work to do and A LOT of readings.

THE TEXTBOOK FOR THIS CLASS IS AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR FREE.
Old 06-09-2014 at 01:12 PM   #6
mc_kumar
Program: Communication Studies
Year: Alumni

Liked: 13 Times
Difficult Concepts
Underestimated this course.

Concepts were complex.

Final Exam was a take-home and easier than the mid-term.
Attached Files
File Type: doc RELIG ST 2M03 - FALL 2013.doc (43.5 KB, 20 views)

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search