Religion 1D06 Biochem47 Academics 1 04-27-2011 01:42 PM
Religion on campus jo87 General Discussion 223 04-02-2010 04:06 PM

End of Religion

Old 12-05-2013 at 09:35 AM   #31
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

*drops dead laughing*

This... This is golden. You can't get comedy better than this.

*click - bookmarks this page for morning reads*

Dude, just because you feel massively empty and hollow inside does not give you the right to find absolutely stupid excuses to attack everyone's spiritual endeavour. Study for your exams or something.

So apparently anyone who finds religion to be ridiculous is empty inside? And again my profile shows alumni, what exams would alumnus study for?
Just because you are to weak minded to the point that you need reassurance from a book that everything is going to be alright doesnt give you the right to hate on an atheist. Believing in an existential being like "God" is imo the equivalent of believing in vampires or fairies. They are fictional characters used in stories. Nothing more.

Afzal, Jimbojones, knguyens2 like this.
Old 12-05-2013 at 03:12 PM   #32
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

The sheer hubris of this generation makes me sick. To think we place so much value on our own personal opinions on the matter.

However the universe came to be, however we exist, have consciousness and so forth (insert other "big questions"), it did not depend on your beliefs, or lack-there-of. Don't be foolish enough to think you have all the answers. It's a product of us being told time and time again that we're the 'smartest' generation, however we lack many of the basic skills a typical person had in the 1800s, and any person from there would think we're quite stupid for not knowing them.

There's no such thing as "more correct" or "less correct." The only thing I'm confident of, is that every single person currently on this planet, fails to have all the answers. As you go through life and experience it for yourself, draw your own conclusions and so forth, keep that simple fact in mind.
Old 12-05-2013 at 04:16 PM   #33
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitus View Post
The sheer hubris of this generation makes me sick. To think we place so much value on our own personal opinions on the matter.

However the universe came to be, however we exist, have consciousness and so forth (insert other "big questions"), it did not depend on your beliefs, or lack-there-of. Don't be foolish enough to think you have all the answers. It's a product of us being told time and time again that we're the 'smartest' generation, however we lack many of the basic skills a typical person had in the 1800s, and any person from there would think we're quite stupid for not knowing them.

There's no such thing as "more correct" or "less correct." The only thing I'm confident of, is that every single person currently on this planet, fails to have all the answers. As you go through life and experience it for yourself, draw your own conclusions and so forth, keep that simple fact in mind.
I'm sorry but by writing this, you, too, are thinking we place so much value on your own personal opinion on life in general
Old 12-05-2013 at 04:42 PM   #34
Incognitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
I'm sorry but by writing this, you, too, are thinking we place so much value on your own personal opinion on life in general
That's correct. I'm part of this generation also, and do keep this fact in mind, as I'm merely suggesting everyone should.

However in either case, one cannot deny the hubris of someone saying "If you're not _____ you're going to hell" or conversely, "_____ is merely a fairy tale" so matter of factly. As if completely closed off of the possibility of being wrong, because it's "just so obvious."

Yashoda likes this.
Old 12-05-2013 at 04:48 PM   #35
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
That's correct. I'm part of this generation also, and do keep this fact in mind, as I'm merely suggesting everyone should.

However in either case, one cannot deny the hubris of someone saying "If you're not _____ you're going to hell" or conversely, "_____ is merely a fairy tale" so matter of factly. As if completely closed off of the possibility of being wrong, because it's "just so obvious."
So then ... you make youself sick?
And how are you certain that the old generations hadn't been like us today?
Old 12-06-2013 at 03:36 AM   #36
KayS

Liked: 1 Time

Just gonna put this out there- http://www.mcmaster.ca/coat/motto.htm
Old 12-06-2013 at 04:17 AM   #37
Incognitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
So then ... you make youself sick?
And how are you certain that the old generations hadn't been like us today?
Neither of those things have any relevance to what I'm saying. Whether or not I make myself sick, I'm pointing to some (read: most) of the comments made here, and I will allow, the internet in general, as being arrogant and thoughtless.

Secondly, whether other generations were just as arrogant or even worse has no bearing on this topic, which I'm currently reading. This has been written by the demographic I'm referring to, I'm not making any sort of unfair generalization. I referred to the hubris of this generation... I will emphasize that I never once said this generation was particularly worse than any other, nor can I in good conscience. I have experienced little more than a historical account told by others that has likely been twisted in ways I'll never know. Or at the very least, I cannot be entirely confident that stories I've heard about, for instance, the hippie generation, are factual. I have experienced no other generation than my own, and those which came after me.

However, in both cases, the fact that the pot is black does not mean the kettle is not black. Your responses are literally saying "Well, you're part of this generation too" (which does not challenge, or refute any point I've made) and "But those people may have been even worse!" (which again, has no bearing against my point).

So in order to avoid any misconceptions, my take home point is simply this: Think and expand your mind. Throwing around harsh words never benefits anyone, and no matter how good you are at logically arguing your viewpoint, there is someone who can argue the opposite viewpoint better than you can. It doesn't make your viewpoint incorrect, nor does it make it correct.

I have done nothing else but express my disgust for this sort of attitude, and point out that according to anecdotal evidence, it is running rampant in this generation (using this very thread as my sample space).

Last edited by Incognitus : 12-06-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2013 at 05:28 AM   #38
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

5char
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d5c.jpg (45.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-06-2013 at 07:36 AM   #39
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Neither of those things have any relevance to what I'm saying. Whether or not I make myself sick, I'm pointing to some (read: most) of the comments made here, and I will allow, the internet in general, as being arrogant and thoughtless.

Secondly, whether other generations were just as arrogant or even worse has no bearing on this topic, which I'm currently reading. This has been written by the demographic I'm referring to, I'm not making any sort of unfair generalization. I referred to the hubris of this generation... I will emphasize that I never once said this generation was particularly worse than any other, nor can I in good conscience. I have experienced little more than a historical account told by others that has likely been twisted in ways I'll never know. Or at the very least, I cannot be entirely confident that stories I've heard about, for instance, the hippie generation, are factual. I have experienced no other generation than my own, and those which came after me.

However, in both cases, the fact that the pot is black does not mean the kettle is not black. Your responses are literally saying "Well, you're part of this generation too" (which does not challenge, or refute any point I've made) and "But those people may have been even worse!" (which again, has no bearing against my point).

So in order to avoid any misconceptions, my take home point is simply this: Think and expand your mind. Throwing around harsh words never benefits anyone, and no matter how good you are at logically arguing your viewpoint, there is someone who can argue the opposite viewpoint better than you can. It doesn't make your viewpoint incorrect, nor does it make it correct.

I have done nothing else but express my disgust for this sort of attitude, and point out that according to anecdotal evidence, it is running rampant in this generation (using this very thread as my sample space).
You just wasted my time reading 4 paragraphs of nonsense. If you really believe that someone can put together a convincing case for religion against science, then you are more foolish than your run-on posts suggest.
To quote you, your posts have "no bearing against my point." This thread is about whether or not religion is causing problems in the world, and you just keep ranting about people of our generations having opinions. Im sure though that your use of metaphors and anecdotes (however unrelated/unnecessary they may be) has given you a false sense of depth and intelligence, so good for you
Old 12-06-2013 at 09:40 AM   #40
knguyens2

It doesn't matter what religion or what god we believe in. Relgion serves a different purpose for everyone. For some, it provides hope, for others it allows them to feel superior and judge people. People just need to learn to respect each other. You do you and I do me. For all we know, all the gods could be having a huge feast together up in heaven while we are down here ignorantly fighting.

I came across this in the Hamilton's Spectator newspaper which I liked,

A Meaningless Life is a Free Life

"Atheists do not believe in the existence of god(s). Why not? There is no evidence for them. Just because the Bible and the Koran write about them does not constitute evidence, no more than the reality of Harry Potter stories. It is becoming clear tht our brains are "born to believe," a boon to the religious, and to commercial advertisors. When we finally understand that life is meaningless (why should it be otherwise?), I suggest we will all be much happier. But I must admit that the born-to-believe mind can create our own personal paradise - looking, for instance, at Christianity and Islam. Unfortunately, not only are these paradises false, but they may be injrious to others. A meaningless life, an attack on a dominating mind, is a free life. Have fun!" Stephen Threlkeld, Hamilton

Personally, I do believe that there is a god out there. Can I tell you what kind of a person he is? No, I have never met him. All I know is that he gives me hope when I don't have it. But for the most part, I believe in my self.

Last edited by knguyens2 : 12-06-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2013 at 09:57 AM   #41
BenDover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyens2 View Post
It doesn't matter what religion or what god we believe in. Relgion serves a different purpose for everyone. For some, it provides hope, for others it allows them to feel superior and judge people. People just need to learn to respect each other. You do you and I do me. For all we know, all the gods could be having a huge feast together up in heaven while we are down here ignorantly fighting.

I came across this in the Hamilton's Spectator newspaper which I liked,

"Atheists do not believe in the existence of god(s). Why not? There is no evidence for them. Just because the Bible and the Koran write about them does not constitute evidence, no more than the reality of Harry Potter stories. It is becoming clear tht our brains are "born to believe," a boon to the religious, and to commercial advertisors." Stephen Threlkeld, Hamilton

Personally, I do believe that there is a god out there. Can I tell you what kind of a person he is? No, I have never met him. All I know is that he gives me hope when I don't have it. But for the most part, I believe in my self.
THIS!

You have right in that last line encompassed the point that I was hoping someone would make in this thread. Instead of looking to others to give you the strength to make it day by day, start looking inside yourself for that strength. The only person that can control you destiny is not up in the clouds, in heaven or anywhere like that. That person is the one who you see every time you look in a mirror, yourself. Start putting your faith where it belongs, not in others, but in yourself. I am all for admitting that the bible offers good morals to in its stories (sorry but i can not comment on other religious texts as i have not exposed myself to them), but those morals can be found in any number of novels or texts. I just dont understand why these few scriptures are so glorified.
But again thank you for your post, im glad you made that last comment, and i couldnt agree more with that article quote you posted. Ive actually used that exact same example with Harry Potter as a reference when ive debated this with friends/family members

knguyens2 likes this.
Old 12-06-2013 at 10:36 AM   #42
knguyens2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
THIS!

You have right in that last line encompassed the point that I was hoping someone would make in this thread. Instead of looking to others to give you the strength to make it day by day, start looking inside yourself for that strength. The only person that can control you destiny is not up in the clouds, in heaven or anywhere like that. That person is the one who you see every time you look in a mirror, yourself. Start putting your faith where it belongs, not in others, but in yourself. I am all for admitting that the bible offers good morals to in its stories (sorry but i can not comment on other religious texts as i have not exposed myself to them), but those morals can be found in any number of novels or texts. I just dont understand why these few scriptures are so glorified.
But again thank you for your post, im glad you made that last comment, and i couldnt agree more with that article quote you posted. Ive actually used that exact same example with Harry Potter as a reference when ive debated this with friends/family members
I don't understand why they are glorfied either. One book can be interpreted a million different ways. Openess to different ideas extends our knowledge. But yet when it comes to the bible, people are so narrow minded and only one interpretation is can be correct.

Debating with family and friends is always fun. An interesting topic I would recommend you looking into is the comparison of the influence of science, religion, and culture on homosexuality, transgender, etc. There are many articles that try to explain why the homicide/suicide rates is so much higher in North American than in Thailand. Thailand is often the place of interest because they have so many people who are "out" and they are very accepting of transgenders, gays, lesbians, EVERYTHING. Because the number of people who are "out" in Thailand is so high, scientists try to find the genetic links there, but of course have not been successful as many factors influence this. Most often, it comes down to religion. I don't know much about religion and I don't mean to offend anyone. But based on my readings, buddism believes in a third gender while with Christianity, it is strictly man or women. And that is why we see the significant difference in homide/suicide/acceptance rates (Again based on my readings).

I have been to Thailand a few years ago, and it is quite different than here. The number of people I saw just walking down the street, who were themselves, is just wonderful. Everyone is considered normal. Here, there seems to have to be a black or white for everything.
Old 12-06-2013 at 01:04 PM   #43
Incognitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
You just wasted my time reading 4 paragraphs of nonsense. If you really believe that someone can put together a convincing case for religion against science, then you are more foolish than your run-on posts suggest.
Whether someone can convince you (specifically) is a different thing from convincing the masses, or other people listening on. Silver tongues, and access to information can be a dangerous thing. That and the false belief that an Ad Hominem represents a valid argument. It's much easier to dismiss someone as a fool after all, than it is to actually listen and invalidate an argument. However once again, fool or not, that wouldn't discredit a person's words.

You're convinced beyond all redemption that you're correct. While I'm not saying you're incorrect, I am completely justified in identifying your arrogance. Particularly when you speak of those who are religious attacking atheists (I believe it was you who said that), when your very thread serves simply as an attack on the religious. That which I've quoted serves as proof.

Don't take someone who disagrees with you so lightly (do I even disagree with you?) - you don't know what I believe in, but you've made it quite clear what you believe in. Someday that may cause problems for you. But not today, I've spoken my piece, and my intention was never to open anyone's eyes. Filth like you isn't worth my time.

Last edited by Incognitus : 12-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2013 at 01:21 PM   #44
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Quote:
Filth like you isn't worth my time.
Well that is a bit harsh ...
Old 12-06-2013 at 01:28 PM   #45
knguyens2

Quote:
Filth like you isn't worth my time.
You said earlier, "The sheer hubris of this generation makes me sick." Yet you call people filth.

It's good to value our own personal opinions on things. YOU too have your own opinion and clearly you are not happy that someone is criticizing it. People just have to learn to accept that there can be more than one view on things, and learn how to respect others. Open discussions, like this one, allows us to broaden our knowledge and maybe learn a thing or two. However, if you don't learn anything, then respect.

Last edited by knguyens2 : 12-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.