Engineer 2P04

Engineer 2P04
Statics
Published by micadjems
12-08-2008
Published by
Awesome Member

Engineer 2P04

Inglis was not too hot - he did a lot of theoretical work instead of examples, which many of us would have preferred.

A pretty hard course, as youve got to keep up with the work

In short: Drink.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Engineer 2P04!

Old 06-02-2009 at 11:34 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Great review, I now know exactly what this course is about
Old 06-02-2009 at 07:23 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Well it's not exactly optional... So i assume you can get that information off the course calendar.

It's mostly civil stuff - static beams and such and how the forces are distributed. Wasn't for me, but I'm materials.
Old 06-03-2009 at 11:23 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times
Bleeearrrghhhhhh. That's all I have to say about this class. It's a lot of boring, repetitive algebra. Sum up twenty million different forces, set equal to zero. Solve. If you mess up one step, and carry your mistake through, you lose a good majority of your marks.

Not exceptionally intellectually challenging, but very easy to screw up on. I think this class has a high failure rate, and since I'm in Eng Phys, I can happily say that I'll never have to take anything like it again...

(Yes, I'm bitter. Thank you 2P04, for messing up my average)

highoutput says thanks to Geek for this post.

Old 04-08-2010 at 06:57 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
"Sum up twenty million different forces, set equal to zero. Solve" Pretty much sums up this course haha.

This course wasn't crazy hard or anything just do the assignments each week and try to keep up with them dont let them pile up and you will do good in the class. I took this course in the Fall 2009 term with Dr. Inglis. In terms of lectures/tutorials I found they were helpful in some sections of the material but the majority of them I felt I could've just worked out the assignments and that was enough BUT they had pop quizzes in the class so you pretty much had to go to every lecture and tutorial.

Tests and quizzes were pretty straight foward if you did the assignments especially the practise test! Sometimes the questions were nearly identical! The exam was what killed my mark. I was doing pretty well the entire course but the exam was just brutal. Some curve balls that really through me off the entire exam.

Also DO NOT BUY the textbook for this course pretty useless from what I've heard and its online w/ full solutions! I'm in TRON and I had another book from another course MECH 2Q04 that had similar material covered in it already so if your in Civil I'm not sure if you may need it for other courses. I only bought the custom courseware but even then it was gathering dust apart from the occasional skim through before the exam other than that I never used it so you may even considering not buy that either! The practise problems IMO are all you need for this course to get a good mark aswell as some notes from lectures which are posted aswell but with blanks you fill in during the lecture!

COURSE BREAKDOWN (FALL 2009):

In-class Quizzes (Closed Books): 20% [Each Quiz - 5%]
Two Term Tests (Closed Books): 40% [Each Term Test - 20%]
Final Examination (Closed Books): 40%

GOOD LUCK in this course. Gunna need it =P

Last edited by Colin : 04-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2010 at 09:55 AM   #6
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times
Mech Eng 2P04
For all the mechanical engineers out there who are taking this course, be aware the course starts off easy, but don't take it for granted. The work will pile up quickly, and do not miss lectures. Lectures were really helpful.

The Prof was really good too, Dr. Koshy. He will go out of his way to help you. Like he used to organize extra classes to make sure we understood everything. Do all the assignments as already stated, and practice is the key. If you can get some practice done from the book it will be very helpful because for our exam they used examples directly from the book.

We didn't have any in-class quizzes.

Mid term 1 (25%)
Mid term 2 (25%)
Final (50%)

If you have any more questions ask me !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering & International Studies III
Old 08-11-2010 at 09:50 AM   #7
Anojan

Liked: 0 Times
How is Prof Stolle?
Old 12-14-2012 at 01:21 PM   #8
dide101
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times
There's nothing fun about this course,

Youtube and structurefree is your friend, the teachers are good but the content is so damm boring you'd probably fall asleep through it. I did. (I had Stolle)

You just basically have to know how to perfectly do every question, a missed negative means the difference between a 10/10 and a 4/10 which is incredibly annoying.
Old 08-07-2013 at 10:14 AM   #9
Smexy

Liked: 2 Times
Out of SIVAKUMARAN or PIETRUSZCZAK which prof would you guys recommend?

Only if anyone has had either of the two :p

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search