MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENGINEERING: Reinstatement ! Plz Read ! engman123 Academics 2 07-15-2012 02:09 PM
Engineering Reinstatement vegeto96 Academics 2 08-23-2011 10:47 AM

Engineering 1 Reinstatement

Old 07-18-2012 at 06:46 PM   #1
Unregistered

Engineering 1 Reinstatement
So I just got reinstated into Engineering 1. Can someone with experience in it explain it a bit more?

Do I just repeat all the courses I failed in? How will my average be calculated for second year entrance? I finished two Econ classes with high marks and would like to use those as requirement for the 5 years Management program.
Old 07-18-2012 at 07:02 PM   #2
nan100

Liked: 3 Times

you start off with a clean slate so your gpa resets and you start as if you just got into first year. Im not sure if you can keep some courses you'll have to ask the advisor about that, but im pretty sure you have to redo everything again. just out of curiousity did you take a year off ?
Old 07-18-2012 at 07:06 PM   #3
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

The Science advisor told me u keep all units thats you passed, but your GPA resets. So you don't have to repeat any courses that you passed, and can use them as requisites.
Old 07-18-2012 at 07:32 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Congratulations on getting reinstated I am pretty sure you don't have to repeat all the first year courses, I think it's only the ones that you got below a certain mark in..not sure what that mark is.

I think they add the marks from both years (the ones that you are going to take this year and the ones that you took last year). I am not entirely sure about that though...talk to Sally Williams, she can help you with these questions and give you all the info that you need.
Good luck !
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:06 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

If I recall you dont have to retake anything 4+
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:06 PM   #6
Unregistered

I took a year off.

I will ask Sally further. Would be nice if I don't have to redo all the courses. ENG 1C03 force me into a pretty heavy drinking routine.
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:25 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I took a year off.

I will ask Sally further. Would be nice if I don't have to redo all the courses. ENG 1C03 force me into a pretty heavy drinking routine.
The changed 1c03 this year...last year we had midterms and assignments, but this year they got rid of the assignments that we had to take home and finish..now it's all in class.... basically they give you a set of question to work on at home and the next tutorial class will be a mini test where they pick few questions from the assignment and you have to do it and hand it in (in class). The also got rid of the tutorial and lab midterms.
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:34 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
The changed 1c03 this year...last year we had midterms and assignments, but this year they got rid of the assignments that we had to take home and finish..now it's all in class.... basically they give you a set of question to work on at home and the next tutorial class will be a mini test where they pick few questions from the assignment and you have to do it and hand it in (in class). The also got rid of the tutorial and lab midterms.
That sounds pretty good. I couldn't stand the drawing aspect of the course. This year, it sounds like they remove the tedious drawing assignments.
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:39 PM   #9
nan100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I took a year off.
What did you do with your year off? I got denied reinstatement and I need to know what to do from here.
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:54 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan100 View Post
What did you do with your year off? I got denied reinstatement and I need to know what to do from here.
I was told when I left that OSAP had also put my record on probation and the best way to get reinstated from them is to personally pay for a year worth of school myself. As such, I been working non-stop and saving up in preparation (don't you love the nearly 10K tuition for Engineering students?).
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:58 PM   #11
nan100

so you didnt take any courses you worked for the whole year? did the work have to be something related to your field of study or just any job?
Old 07-18-2012 at 09:04 PM   #12
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan100 View Post
so you didnt take any courses you worked for the whole year? did the work have to be something related to your field of study or just any job?
I don't know how to answer that question. You would have to ask whoever is doing the reviews for those details. I did not even mentioned the nature of my work in the letter.
Old 07-18-2012 at 09:20 PM   #13
nan100

then how did you get reinstated
Old 07-18-2012 at 10:21 PM   #14
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Not too sound rude, but if your just getting reinstated into engineering after a rough first go at it, I would suggest not aimming at Eng Management, as much as just trying to get through first year this time round. You need a good average for management so maybe it would be wise to consider going into a direct eng stream without the management
Old 07-19-2012 at 06:04 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Not too sound rude, but if your just getting reinstated into engineering after a rough first go at it, I would suggest not aimming at Eng Management, as much as just trying to get through first year this time round. You need a good average for management so maybe it would be wise to consider going into a direct eng stream without the management
Thanks for the suggestion. The only difference between Management and Direct Stream is one elective. I figured might as well take that elective since I do enjoy business anyway (plus it will help boost my average). Once the year end and the GPA is calculated, then I will evaluate from there (or rather let them evaluate from).