MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What engineering program fits me? Anybody who is in upper year eng, can you help? ralts40 Academics 57 01-30-2015 01:12 AM
transferring into 2nd year mcmaster program from a first year program at mac J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-18-2015 05:33 PM
Questions about Mac's business program and engineering program!! CoolCatG First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 12-13-2014 11:16 PM
switching into a new program in upper years MaisliR Academics 2 05-01-2012 11:42 AM
Engineering admission program 2nd year mfattal General Discussion 19 06-10-2011 11:46 PM

Engineering:- 5 Year program vs 4 Years

Old 01-27-2015 at 08:46 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Engineering:- 5 Year program vs 4 Years
Is MGMT or Biomedical engineering actually worth it? Especially with Chem Eng. I know that Chem Eng has accelerated MASc program, where if you maintain a 9.5 cGPA, then you can get into MASc and finish it in 1 year. SO, basically you will have a Master's degree when other shitheads are doing commerce or biology, as if they are ever gonna be a *******doctor, lol..

To me, I hate biology to the extreme.. So, can anybody help a fellow brother out?
I realized that I only wanted Mtls or Eng Phys or Nano at Loo was cuz I really wanted to study quantum Mechanics. I talked to an Eng Phys prof, and he said with permission from department/instructor, I can take Eng Phys 2QM3, then Physics 3MM3 and a fourth year course (4F03) from Physics department on quantum mechanics as technical electives from pretty much any engineering program.. I am anti Elec/software/mechatron, completely dislike mech.., and I am leaning more towards Chem Eng as of right now..

So, is Chem Eng and MGMT worth it? Chem Eng and Bioengineering? And, can anybody who has gone through the route, tell me how is MASc in Chem Eng in 1 year maintaining the required cGPA, is it a guarenteed entry or not? Cuz, to me, after I started to properly manage my time, courses donot seem to be as extreme as I thought entering into the University.

Old 01-27-2015 at 09:06 PM   #2
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Another thread, damn dude.

How come you're not considering Society with a minor of your choosing (eg. Physics, Chem)?

As for Masters programs, nothing is guaranteed entry. If every professor thinks you're an annoying shit they won't take you on as a student.
Old 01-27-2015 at 09:09 PM   #3
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

If I can get a MASc in 5 years, why bother with society?
Old 01-27-2015 at 09:18 PM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

If you have this many questions go to the academic advisor and spare us these ridiculous threads.
Old 01-27-2015 at 09:19 PM   #5
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Plus, As I said, the only courses I like are Quantum, and I can take em as technical electives anyways, so am golden..
Old 01-27-2015 at 09:28 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Why indeed?

Biomedical -> for those with an interest in, you know, bio. Or health care
Society -> for those who want to show they are well rounded or just have another interest in something they want to explore
Management -> for the future project managers and those that see themselves on the more management side of eng.

Getting the masters is for the academic, for those that cant find a job, or for those with sufficient interest in the subject matter to pursue additional, targeted knowledge.

Judging by all your previous posts you fall into then last category. You are interested in a very specific subject and seem to be far more interested in the abstract research over the application.

ralts40(2) says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

ralts40(2) likes this.
Old 01-28-2015 at 05:53 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

qwerty's post is right. The 5 years is also great if you want to thin out your years for stress.

Note, if you cant get into management, doing a business minor will do just the same. Management is just a title (although they do have certain courses geared for that)
Old 01-28-2015 at 08:11 PM   #8
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

True.. But personally for me, I think it is much better to get a MASc in that time period than just a bachelor's degree. It is a waste of a full year of tuition for nothing. Even with biomedical specialization, I can easily do a master's degree on the field. And, nowadays with accelerated MASc programs, I think it is a fair game. Plus, I get paid for doing MASc program at McMaster/any other uni..
Old 01-28-2015 at 10:37 PM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
True.. But personally for me, I think it is much better to get a MASc in that time period than just a bachelor's degree. It is a waste of a full year of tuition for nothing. Even with biomedical specialization, I can easily do a master's degree on the field. And, nowadays with accelerated MASc programs, I think it is a fair game. Plus, I get paid for doing MASc program at McMaster/any other uni..
Ugggh. No. Look, I was quite willing to be helpful earlier when you were between less than a handful of programs, but I've seen too much now --- too many threads by you, too many different rationales for too many completely different handfuls of engineering streams.

Sincere advice: Get it down to less than nearly all of them, by means of what you see upper years doing; by the advice already given to you (I still stick by the previous recommendation of Eng Phys or Materials).

Furthermore, throw away these current considerations of "Society, Management, or M.A.Sc. in 5 years) because it's currently extremely flawed. Society and Management DO both add tonnes of value to a bachelor's degree... They let you mature and consider your professional degree for a little bit longer than those who do it in 4 years, crammed with technical courses the entire time; they let you grow in ways other than technical knowledge. With respect to 5 years for an MASc ---- no such thing. No Eng prof is going to let you do a 4 year bachelor's jump into your MASc, let you do your 4 grad courses, complete research, write a thesis, and defend in 12 months... "Accelerated" still likely means 20 months (many people go over-time and take 24 months, so completing it on time in 20 months may be considered accelerated). ANYWAYS, you shouldn't be thinking about your Master's at this point because you don't even know which stream you want just yet, and before you decide what you're going to do when you graduate, you should figure out which program you'll graduate from --- which will define the validity of different post-grad options...

adaptation likes this.
Old 01-30-2015 at 01:16 AM   #10
yogarajah2

Liked: 0 Times

It is a hard decision but I doubt in the long run it would matter. Just pick what you love and go with it.
Old 01-30-2015 at 09:03 PM   #11
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Getting the masters is for the academic, for those that cant find a job
So wait, grad school is only for those who aren't good enough to find a job?

Huh?
Old 03-10-2015 at 10:18 AM   #12
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Turned out to be true, accelerated is 1 year, yesterday in chem eng info night.. MASc in 1 year, Mike, you were wrong.
Old 03-10-2015 at 11:42 AM   #13
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

For accelerated MASc programs, you have to take a Masters level course in 4th year, do a summer research position under a prof between your 3rd and 4th year, and do a thesis in addition to capstone in your 4th year. It's a lot of work, and it's contingent upon a lot of items being approved by the department.

I wouldn't choose any discipline based on the fact that you can do an accelerated MASc because you can't count on getting in until the end your third year.
Old 03-10-2015 at 12:25 PM   #14
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

chem eng doesnt have a capstone
Old 03-10-2015 at 01:41 PM   #15
mythbuster06

Liked: 1 Time

Sorry, in Materials we do - I should have clarified that those were the rules for our department.

My main point remains the same though - your MASc plans are contingent upon a lot of other stuff.