MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What engineering program fits me? Anybody who is in upper year eng, can you help? ralts40 Academics 57 01-30-2015 01:12 AM
transferring into 2nd year mcmaster program from a first year program at mac J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-18-2015 05:33 PM
Questions about Mac's business program and engineering program!! CoolCatG First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 12-13-2014 11:16 PM
switching into a new program in upper years MaisliR Academics 2 05-01-2012 11:42 AM
Engineering admission program 2nd year mfattal General Discussion 19 06-10-2011 11:46 PM

Engineering:- 5 Year program vs 4 Years

Old 03-10-2015 at 04:27 PM   #16
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

............ you're full of "wrong".......... ..

MASc is 20 months. An accelerated MASc, as has been correctly identified (not by you), can be done if you put in the time before you graduate.

Also, Chem Eng does in fact have a capstone...

Trollin' hard.
Old 03-10-2015 at 04:43 PM   #17
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Turned out to be true, accelerated is 1 year, yesterday in chem eng info night.. MASc in 1 year, Mike, you were wrong.
You're buying into this sell like a fool. The cold cynical reality is most grad students are assets, not people. The brain on a stick joke isnt too far from reality. They try to hook you in saying its a one year masters if you did your senior thesis or a few summer research internships, but its really 1 year minimum. Most likely as Mike was saying you're looking at under two years, but more than one. So technically yes, you are graduating early from the two year masters, but your PI will not let you finish in one, they'll extend your project to do just one more experiment, one quick calculation, "you'll have a really solid paper if you re-do this"

I don't know who you're trying to convince here. When you purchase a product, do you believe the marketing department selling you the product, or the people giving reviews? I get you're still young, naive, and stupid and you got to figure this out for yourself, but don't call out people smarter than you who know for a fact what the reality is like when you live in a bubble.
Old 03-10-2015 at 06:44 PM   #18
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Chem Eng capstone is 4N/4W.
Old 03-10-2015 at 11:37 PM   #19
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I'm pretty sure all engineering programs have the capstone project. Anyway, many people in first year engineering are determined to get their masters and some even will tell you that they want to get a phd even though they don't need it.
Most people in first year don't fully know what a masters is. When you hit third year you can start thinking about the masters because that's when you will start taking more specified engineering courses. And by fourth year you will have the full knowledge and will be able to decide whether you want to pursue a masters or not.
Heck, some people even decided to do their masters after getting few years of experience.
It's good to know that you want to pursue a masters because that might give you the motivation to work hard from now, but don't think about it too much. And definitely don't base your engineering stream based on the program that will get you the masters in a shorter time, because things change (and so do perspectives).

ralts40(2) says thanks to jim1 for this post.

ralts40(2) likes this.
Old 03-11-2015 at 08:08 AM   #20
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

So, what I heard were all lies? On the info night, they said they were the ONLY faculty offering. The accelerated MASc program, and it was 1 year ONLY. Guess I should listen to students than profs.
I am not saying this, this is what the profs said, so you, a student in another faculty, are saying they, who run the program are wrong?

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 03-11-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2015 at 08:15 AM   #21
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

All I am saying is if I can work hard and get a master's degree, it is worth way more than getting a management/society/bioengineering in the same time frame.

I concur that it is a minimum of 1. Year, but not 16 months.

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 03-11-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2015 at 08:59 AM   #22
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Look man, i'm done lecturing you. Believe what you want.

If you're going into ChE because you like doing ChE, then you're in the clear. That is all that matters.
Old 03-11-2015 at 03:25 PM   #23
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
All I am saying is if I can work hard and get a master's degree, it is worth way more than getting a management/society/bioengineering in the same time frame.

I concur that it is a minimum of 1. Year, but not 16 months.
All we are saying is we really don't care what discipline you choose.
Old 03-11-2015 at 04:08 PM   #24
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

This is all ridiculous. Absolutely none of these things being considered, is better than the other, without far more context than you have at your age and maturity...

The Master's is not better than the Management option, if you want to go down the management path.

The Master's is not better than MANY paths, if you want to start making money, and want to go down only certain paths in your career.

The Master's is not better than the Chem/Bio options, because Chem Bio is it's own very unique thing, which will allow you to take different paths after undergrad, than the Master's option.

And finally, it cannot be stressed enough that apples are being compared to oranges here... Obtaining degrees "in the same time frame" does not give you license to compare them at face value, and the discussion above is just one major reason why... But also, there is so much ignorance as to what is involved in the accelerated Master's... One more time: The typical Master's (also in Chem) is 20 months... The 1 year accelerated Masters is not typical; it requires a significant dedication of time before graduation, and it foregoes alternative options that are, in themselves, quite valuable (employment, work-study programs, etc.). Hence, I am never going to tell anyone that the Chem Eng Master's can be done in just 1 year... That's a standard sales pitch, and not a typical reality.

EDIT: Also, yes... We don't really care which discipline you choose; but most of us detest ignorance in return for our legitimate (and usually experienced) responses to your questions.

mythbuster06, starfish like this.
Old 03-11-2015 at 10:29 PM   #25
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
This is all ridiculous. Absolutely none of these things being considered, is better than the other, without far more context than you have at your age and maturity...

The Master's is not better than the Management option, if you want to go down the management path.

The Master's is not better than MANY paths, if you want to start making money, and want to go down only certain paths in your career.

The Master's is not better than the Chem/Bio options, because Chem Bio is it's own very unique thing, which will allow you to take different paths after undergrad, than the Master's option.

And finally, it cannot be stressed enough that apples are being compared to oranges here... Obtaining degrees "in the same time frame" does not give you license to compare them at face value, and the discussion above is just one major reason why... But also, there is so much ignorance as to what is involved in the accelerated Master's... One more time: The typical Master's (also in Chem) is 20 months... The 1 year accelerated Masters is not typical; it requires a significant dedication of time before graduation, and it foregoes alternative options that are, in themselves, quite valuable (employment, work-study programs, etc.). Hence, I am never going to tell anyone that the Chem Eng Master's can be done in just 1 year... That's a standard sales pitch, and not a typical reality.

EDIT: Also, yes... We don't really care which discipline you choose; but most of us detest ignorance in return for our legitimate (and usually experienced) responses to your questions.
PREACH!!!