MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Management Robgoy Academics 17 12-16-2013 08:37 AM
Management and Engineering Briere First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-10-2012 07:08 PM
Finish engineering and management in 4 years? incarnation First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-30-2012 03:53 PM
Engineering Management hork0 Academics 2 01-27-2010 07:06 PM

Engineering and Management in 4 years?

Old 06-29-2015 at 09:56 PM   #1
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Engineering and Management in 4 years?
So, I noticed that McMaster offers pretty much ALL management courses in the summer. This summer(summer between first and second year), I will be done 4 extra courses(2z0/2zz/1aa3/commerce 1aa3), then I have 8 more commerce crap to go throgh.
Here are some of the commerce courses offered in the summer this year, which has been pretty consistent in the other years too:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /wp-co...e-March-16.pdf

I am also overloading 2nd year chem, by doing 12 courses instead of suggested 11, as I have done a heavy math course in the summer., and comeplementary electives and commerce stuff are pretty light..

From this schedule, I can do 6 more courses in the summer just for commerce.. Some of the electives and stuff, I can do in the summer as well.... For chem eng, like, biochem 2ee3, and chem 2e03 and stuff.. So, that being said, has ANYONE done this? Is it recommended? Pretty much doing management in the summer and straight chem in the school year..

Also, all summer courses are offered as night classes for commerce...
Old 06-30-2015 at 11:31 AM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Beyond a doubt, no one has done it.

Also, engineering is not a race. To finish a dual degree in 4 years does not impress employers --- it makes them question what you actually took away from it all, and CERTAINLY doesn't give you the edge over the 5 year folk who have had the extra year to mature, and PROBABLY didn't take summer courses for 4 years, but instead did internships/co-ops.
Old 06-30-2015 at 11:36 AM   #3
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Beyond a doubt, no one has done it.

Also, engineering is not a race. To finish a dual degree in 4 years does not impress employers --- it makes them question what you actually took away from it all, and CERTAINLY doesn't give you the edge over the 5 year folk who have had the extra year to mature, and PROBABLY didn't take summer courses for 4 years, but instead did internships/co-ops.
Yeah.. who needs work experience, am i right
Old 06-30-2015 at 11:59 AM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Impossible.

First, not all management courses are given in the summer.

Second, if you somehow manage to take 4 courses in the summer, it will fuck you up so badly for the rest of the year your grades will be so low it won't matter if you finished the whole program in 4 years or 3.

Same applies if you do overload during the school year.
Old 06-30-2015 at 12:59 PM   #5
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

It is not impossible. By doing some core courses offered in the summer like stats 3y03, math courses 2z03/2zz3, chem 1oa3/ob3, biochem 1ee3, chem 1aa3, and about 8/10 commerce courses are offered in the summer. Altogether, if my planning is right, I can finish my degree in 4 years, and graduate with internship/co-op under my belt as well, as all the commerce courses are offered as night school...

On the summer, I would say the courses are actually easier. This year, I just finished first term of summer, and it was hard work, but I managed to get pretty decent grades in math 2z03 and commerce 1aa3.. I am doing all core chem eng courses that regular chem eng people take, also some technical electives like third year courses materials course..

But, that being said, I dont think I will do it in 4 years though, but rather work toward getting a minor, maybe in math, or biochemistry in my free time.. Thanks everyone..
Old 06-30-2015 at 01:04 PM   #6
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Also, it is overloading, but in a sense that a heavy math course is being replaced by complementary elective and a technical elective.... I plan on going to grad school, so I plan on getting rid of as many courses in 2nd and 3rd year as I can show that I can take some interesting/easy courses to bumb up my gpa in 4th and 5th year, as many Canadian and US universities, including McMaster only look at last two years of the degree for adminssion into grad school for engineering..
Old 06-30-2015 at 01:26 PM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
It is not impossible. By doing some core courses offered in the summer like stats 3y03, math courses 2z03/2zz3, chem 1oa3/ob3, biochem 1ee3, chem 1aa3, and about 8/10 commerce courses are offered in the summer. Altogether, if my planning is right, I can finish my degree in 4 years, and graduate with internship/co-op under my belt as well, as all the commerce courses are offered as night school...
You forget that classes can, and will overlap in the timetable.

starfish likes this.
Old 06-30-2015 at 01:26 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
I can finish my degree in 4 years, and graduate with internship/co-op under my belt as well

Good luck with that.

GeorgeLucas likes this.
Old 06-30-2015 at 01:41 PM   #9
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Stop being Debbie downers. Give it a go and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2015 at 02:09 PM   #10
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
Give it a go and see what happens.
I tried to do just that and failed miserably. I should have stopped dreaming about how awesome my career could get and weighted the situation properly, accounting for what's humanly possible and the fact that university makes schedules to fit their needs, not mine.

That's why I'm telling you, don't waste your time.
Old 06-30-2015 at 03:01 PM   #11
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

I'm not in Eng. Management, but based on my experience with the faculty you're going to burn yourself out and miss a lot of the things you should be experiencing/taking away from a university degree.

+1 to what was said earlier about internships/co-op, these are far more attractive to an employer, they don't much care how long it took you to get your degree.
Old 07-02-2015 at 02:35 PM   #12
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
Stop being Debbie downers. Give it a go and see what happens.
because that is the logic you should be applying to your academic career at McMaster... just do it and see what happens? Maybe if mommy and daddy are fully funding your time at Mac, i could see this as an understandable ideology, but id rather not waste my money away by making ill-informed decisions.
Old 07-02-2015 at 04:04 PM   #13
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Lol, calm down..
It works PEFECTLY..

Check it:

Summer 1:
Math 2z03, 2zz3, chem 1aa3, accounting 1aa3

Level 2:

Term 1

Chem Eng 2D04
Chem Eng 2g03
Stats 3y03
Complementary Elective
Tech Elective: Mech 3C03
Commerce 2MA3

Term 2:
Chem Eng 2F04
Chem Eng 2I03
Chem Eng 2O04
Econ 2X03
Commerce 3MC3
Commerce 4QA3
---> ONLY 2 COMMERCE COURSES NOT OFFERED IN THE SUMMER

Other 2 summers:

Summer 2:
COMMERCE 1BA3 - Organizational Behaviour
COMMERCE 2AB3 - Managerial Accounting I
COMMERCE 2FA3 - Introduction to Finance
Commerce 3FA3

Summer 3:
Commerce 3BC3
Biochem 2ee3
complementary elective 2

Beyond this, all you are left is STRAIGHT chem eng courses..

LEVEL 3

TERM 1

CHEM ENG
2D03
3E04
4M04
3A04

CHEM
2E03

ENGMGT 5E03

TERM 2:

CHEM ENG
2G04
3K04
3L02
3P04
5EE3
TECH ELECTIVE

LEVEL 4
TERM 1
CHEM ENG
4K03
4A01
4L02
4N04
4D03

TERM 2
4A03
4W04
4G03
4A03
COMP ELECTIVE
TECH ELECTIVE

NOTE: MADE THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE CONFLICT FREE WITH TIME TABLE GENERATOR, HOW ABOUT THAT?

You ONLY need 11 courses, and with this, you get your degree in management.. I spent some of my time formulating the plan, checking to see previous years's commerce offerings in the summer and stuff, and you know what? it works out beautifully!

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 07-02-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2015 at 04:11 PM   #14
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

It works like a beauty!

http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...e turnto=2212
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /wp-co...e-March-16.pdf

You just need to be smart.. Not like, Ooh, you wont mature in 4 years, the employers wont hire you cuz you finished your 5 year degree in 4 year crap..

Last edited by ralts40(2) : 07-02-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2015 at 04:35 PM   #15
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
I'm not in Eng. Management, but based on my experience with the faculty you're going to burn yourself out and miss a lot of the things you should be experiencing/taking away from a university degree.

+1 to what was said earlier about internships/co-op, these are far more attractive to an employer, they don't much care how long it took you to get your degree.
Engineering is 12 courses per term anyways, and I dont need a 4 month summer break, and am perfectly fine with 1 month of summer. Also, all the commerce courses are night school, so I can just take night school and chill..

Co-op can be done starting september to september on gap between 3rd and 4th year..

I am not doing it, but it definitely is doable.. Only in chem eng though, cuz you dont need to do shits like eng mgt 2aa2 and crap, which are replaced by chem eng 2g03, which is a compulsary course..