MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year engineering cut-off ?? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-01-2012 07:38 PM
First Year Engineering usahockey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-05-2011 01:47 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

Engineering Co-op 2nd year

Old 12-26-2012 at 06:13 PM   #1
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

Engineering Co-op 2nd year
Hey all!
I was wondering where I should be applying to for a Co-op position for this summer.
I really would like to get an engineering related postion this summer, no matter how lineal it is
I am in Software & Embedded systems engineering and have no clue as to what places may hire me, because places like Google or IBM or Microsoft all seem to require some kind of experience and I have no engg. working experience yet...so I was wondering if someone could spread some light as to the places that may hire a 2nd year engg student..with little to no experience
Thanks in advance guys!
Abhi
Old 12-26-2012 at 08:24 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

if you are in engineering coop you should have access to oscarplus (google oscarplus mcmaster). Most job postings go there around now. If you really want google or microsoft all i can say is find friends. Pretty much noone gets in there without ppl with nice contacts within those companies. For everyone else a computer reads you resume and you would be lucky to have to read by a real person. Either that or go to every networking session and seriously try to impress the people there.
Old 12-26-2012 at 09:15 PM   #3
Abhimint

I really am trying man..I saw Ocsar PLus too...have been keeping tabs on oscar plus since my first year but to no avail...I would definitely love to work at those big giants but I know that without any experience I dont have a chance...I am trying to find a small-ish place where I can atleast get an engineering related job..cant keep doin my Tim Hortons job every year..its gonna be a major let-down if that happens again(not that my timmies job was bad..but would like to move ahead)
Old 12-26-2012 at 10:07 PM   #4
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

I worked for free second year eng for the summer, which is enough experience to get a 16month co-op position by end of third year. Start small and work your way up. If not then try to work on independent projects on your free time, like apps and coding problems. End of third year is when a lot of people start looking for co-op placement, second year is a flop.

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 12-26-2012 at 10:47 PM   #5
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

i'm having the same issue. I've been trying to look for co-op placements that require an Eng background but haven't found any yet ( including OSCARplus). The only posting available right now on Oscarplus is for L.E.A.P instructors which is not really something i'm interested in. However, i'm trying to set an appointment with a co-op representative who may be able to help me. Hopefully, I can get hold of someone who may be of some help.
Old 12-26-2012 at 11:16 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
i'm having the same issue. I've been trying to look for co-op placements that require an Eng background but haven't found any yet ( including OSCARplus). The only posting available right now on Oscarplus is for L.E.A.P instructors which is not really something i'm interested in. However, i'm trying to set an appointment with a co-op representative who may be able to help me. Hopefully, I can get hold of someone who may be of some help.
Wait a while; a lot of engineering positions don't start showing up on OSCAR until mid-January.

Kevinabrahak says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 01:37 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I worked for free second year eng for the summer, which is enough experience to get a 16month co-op position by end of third year. Start small and work your way up. If not then try to work on independent projects on your free time, like apps and coding problems. End of third year is when a lot of people start looking for co-op placement, second year is a flop.
Yeah pretty much 2nd year coop is rare.

Just apply after 3rd year and do a 16 month - you will learn more as well

Kevinabrahak says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 01:39 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

First off, for coop, you must complete the Coop course from the engineering department before you can have your oscar account activated for coop applications. You can apply to coop on your own if you didn't finish the course it just won't count. Coop positions (I was told by the office) go up Jan 2.

For second year, just apply everywhere. If you have to, work for free as a volunteer just for some experience. This is my first year applying too. I'm aiming for an internship next year but going to try for a summer position for the 3 month work experience. If not, just interview experience and learning how to go through the process.

Kevinabrahak says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 12-27-2012 at 12:34 PM   #9
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

Yeah. definitely going to apply to all available co-op positions for second year. You make a good point Leeoku, I'm looking for just work experience even if it means to work for free. Try for a 12-16 month internship next year.
Old 12-27-2012
Kevinabrahak
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-27-2012 at 02:23 PM   #10
Abhimint

Bobby, Dillon , Qwerty and Leeoku thanks for your input guys...all the stuff you guys said, I am already doin it..I'll just do it a bit more now!
P.S : Dillon thanks for being an amazing t.a for 2DA4 this semester..that course was brutal as hell for me