MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Engineering I courses and few other questions Arisu4 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 06-21-2012 08:23 PM
Hardest Engineering I courses? lkaemmer20 Academics 18 06-02-2012 03:45 PM
Engineering Level I courses LukeEngineer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-27-2010 04:54 PM
Engineering I courses Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-26-2010 01:24 PM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM

Engineering I courses

Old 05-27-2014 at 07:02 PM   #1
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Engineering I courses
Do you guys have 6 courses per semester in Engineering I if you want to get into Management option? This just seems ridiculous forcing students to take 6 courses each semester..

Chemistry 1E03 – General Chemistry for Engineering I
Engineering 1C03 – Engineering Design and Graphics
Engineering 1D04 – Engineering Computation
Engineering 1P03 – Engineering Profession and Practice
Materials Science 1M03 – Structure and Properties of Materials
Mathematics 1ZA3 – Engineering Mathematics
Mathematics 1ZB3 – Engineering Mathematics II – A
Mathematics 1ZC3 – Engineering Mathematics II – B
Physics 1D03 – Introductory Mechanics
Physics 1E03 – Waves, Electricity and Magnetic Fields

So, taking out WHMIS, we have 10 compulsary courses, and we need the economics course to get into management option, so if I balance out, I will have for first sem:

Chemistry 1E03 – General Chemistry for Engineering I
Engineering 1C03 – Engineering Design and Graphics
Engineering 1P03 – Engineering Profession and Practice
Materials Science 1M03 – Structure and Properties of Materials
Mathematics 1ZA3 – Engineering Mathematics
WHMIS 1A00 – Introduction to Health and Safety
Economics 1B03 - Micro-Economics

For second sem:

Mathematics 1ZB3 – Engineering Mathematics II – A
Mathematics 1ZC3 – Engineering Mathematics II – B
Physics 1D03 – Introductory Mechanics
Physics 1E03 – Waves, Electricity and Magnetic Fields
Engineering 1D04 – Engineering Computation
Economics 1BB3 - Macro-Economics

Is this a typical type for you guys who are in or were in Engineering I? And, is it something one can handle doing 6 courses a semester? Cuz I am familiar with doing 3 courses a semester in High School.. lol.., 4 was enough and now 6?
Old 05-27-2014 at 07:24 PM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

6 courses is the norm in Engineering. You'll get used to it.

ralts40 says thanks to topkek for this post.
Old 05-27-2014 at 07:28 PM   #3
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Welcome to engineering.

1B03 and 1BB3 are bird courses. You won't spend a lot of time in your electives compared to mathematics and physics. You'll be doing a lot of assignments just with these two engineering courses alone.

Some people lighten their course loads by pushing their courses aside for the summer. Mac offers many courses for Eng I during the off season. Try and see if you can handle 6 courses in one semester and if you cannot, you can always drop it before the drop deadline and take it over the summer. This will not affect your grade in any way.

Enjoy your next four or five years at Mac!

ralts40 says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 05-27-2014 at 07:39 PM   #4
ralts40
Account Locked

Its all right I guess. Some friends at UofT say they only have 5 courses a sem, and no electives first year.. Guess just to keep the management option open, I will take 6 courses 1st sem and drop 1BB3 for next year..., this should get me 11 courses alltogether. What is WHMIS 100? How long is it?
Old 05-27-2014 at 07:44 PM   #5
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40 View Post
Its all right I guess. Some friends at UofT say they only have 5 courses a sem, and no electives first year.. Guess just to keep the management option open, I will take 6 courses 1st sem and drop 1BB3 for next year..., this should get me 11 courses alltogether. What is WHMIS 100? How long is it?
You'll need 3 or 4 electives before you graduate. You can choose to do it now to get it out of the way or do it in your fourth year. It is up to you when to take it. You're better off completing all your electives before your fourth year so you can spend more time on your capstone project.

1B03 and 1BB3 is mandatory if you want to take management courses in your second year.

WHMIS 100 is a safety course for all the labs you'll be taking. From what I remember, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to complete.

ralts40 says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 05-27-2014 at 08:54 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

yup thats normal. have fun. Some people decide to split their first year into two

ralts40 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-28-2014 at 09:02 AM   #7
samd

Liked: 22 Times

6 Courses isn't out of the norm, splitting up first year isn't a bad option if you think the transition will be overwhelming, but with management that puts you up to 6 years total (7 if you do an internship), just something to consider. Summer terms can also help you out, many 1st year courses will be offered in the summer and they cram two terms into the summer months, so you can do 2 courses in a summer pretty easily if you live near by.

WHMIS is nothing to sweat over, it's just a brief safety presentation and simple test, not an actual course.

1P03 was pretty light when I took it, but I think they may have changed it around since then.

If you've programmed anything before then 1D04 will be a joke.

ralts40 says thanks to samd for this post.
Old 05-28-2014 at 02:18 PM   #8
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Being completely honest with you here, there is a solid chance you will not do well in your first set of midterms in first year eng. A lot of students (myself included) come into first year thinking that their study habits will cut it at the post secondary level. The grades you receive on your first set of midterms provide you with the wake up call you will need to adjust your study habits to succeed in the program. You are going to be doing multiple hours of homework daily (or at least you should), so if you are not willing to put in the work, your marks will reflect the effort.

ralts40 says thanks to 2Dream for this post.
Old 05-28-2014 at 02:25 PM   #9
ralts40
Account Locked

Ya, I ususally study an hour or two right now, but I am afraid that I might loose the good habit during the summer and not want to study as hard during the fall.. But with hard work, hey, whats not possible..
Old 05-28-2014 at 03:24 PM   #10
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

I wouldnt say expect to fall down a couple times at first, just dont be discouraged if you do. I failed a few of my first midterms, but lab marks (basically free marks) and tutorials/assignments are a great way to boost your average and offset midterms.

ralts40 says thanks to 2Dream for this post.
Old 05-31-2014 at 09:05 AM   #11
Devine13

Liked: 1 Time

Remember that materials and E03 physics are (from my understanding) only offered second term. Materials is a pretty easy course, but still requires some effort. Focus the most on your maths and don't fall behind on the textbook problems (even though it's hard to even get to them given the massive workload).

Here's what I took and I found it okay:

First Term:
1za3 math 1
1d03 physics
1p03
1d04
1b03 econ
1e03 chem

second term:

1e03 physics
1zb3 math
1zc3 math
1bb3 econ
1c03 eng design
1m03 materials

I suggest taking d04 and c03 in different semester because they both have labs which require a bit of prep time.

Honestly about the time managing part, you'll adjust. You'll quickly realize how much work you have to put in to be successful.

ralts40 says thanks to Devine13 for this post.
Old 06-08-2014 at 05:54 PM   #12
ralts40
Account Locked

Aight; thanks everyone who contributed
Old 06-16-2014 at 03:31 PM   #13
YashsWay

Yes this is how I did it. 6 courses per sem is normal for engineering. It's a big workload but if you manage your time effectively you'll adapt to it.

ralts40 says thanks to YashsWay for this post.
Old 06-16-2014 at 03:33 PM   #14
YashsWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Being completely honest with you here, there is a solid chance you will not do well in your first set of midterms in first year eng. A lot of students (myself included) come into first year thinking that their study habits will cut it at the post secondary level. The grades you receive on your first set of midterms provide you with the wake up call you will need to adjust your study habits to succeed in the program. You are going to be doing multiple hours of homework daily (or at least you should), so if you are not willing to put in the work, your marks will reflect the effort.
Yep. THIS. Whatever you do.. .the first set of midterms will hit hard. Once the grades come out... you'll know how to effectively study. It's all about knowing what to remember and what not to.

And don't ever skip / slack on assignements. Assignments/Online quizzes will save your grade at the end of the day. Always keep on top of them. Don't worry too much about them midterms.

ralts40 says thanks to YashsWay for this post.
Old 06-16-2014 at 06:13 PM   #15
mythbuster06

Hard work is definitely required, especially if you want to do Management. There's limited enrolment, so you'll want to maintain a half-decent average to make sure you get in. Aim to do well on as much as you can; assignments will bring your marks up but you should still put effort into your midterms and exams.

I don't think anyone ever gets used to six courses per term, but it is quite normal for Engineering students. Sometimes you take 5 courses (though some of them are 4 unit courses so you still end up with 18 units) and some programs require you to take 7 courses.

Good luck!

ralts40 says thanks to mythbuster06 for this post.