MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Engineering I courses and few other questions Arisu4 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 06-21-2012 08:23 PM
Hardest Engineering I courses? lkaemmer20 Academics 18 06-02-2012 03:45 PM
Engineering Level I courses LukeEngineer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-27-2010 04:54 PM
Engineering I courses Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-26-2010 01:24 PM
Software Engineering Courses... EngLufLuf Academics 1 02-21-2010 11:59 PM

Engineering I courses

Old 06-16-2014 at 07:22 PM   #16
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

I am planning on doing chemical and bio engineering at second year; I already have a free choice, but I really like challenging myself; and that program seems to be interesting.. Do u guys think a double degree in business and engineering is better or double degree in 2 engineering fields like chemical and bioengineering? I absolutely hate electrical engineering; so electrical and biomedical is out of the question as of right now being an ignorant high schooler.
Old 06-16-2014 at 08:08 PM   #17
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

not even in first year and already 'hates' electrical engineering.

good luck.
Old 06-16-2014 at 08:39 PM   #18
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40 View Post
I am planning on doing chemical and bio engineering at second year; I already have a free choice, but I really like challenging myself; and that program seems to be interesting.. Do u guys think a double degree in business and engineering is better or double degree in 2 engineering fields like chemical and bioengineering? I absolutely hate electrical engineering; so electrical and biomedical is out of the question as of right now being an ignorant high schooler.
Most people I know (including myself) by the end of our school regretted taking bioengineering. It did not really provide us with anything we saw as useful and only prolonged our university career.

ralts40 says thanks to Defroster for this post.
Old 06-16-2014 at 08:41 PM   #19
ralts40
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneup View Post
not even in first year and already 'hates' electrical engineering.

good luck.
Lol... can a man not have a field that he does not like brother? And not liking is essentially "hating" as you have quoted out and highlighted as if it is the word of the year.. My view is that electrical, computer and software engineering are too restrictive fields and donot study raw nature at its core or nature at all for that matter like chemical and other fields do, that's all. I mean it is human logic developed by humans rather than studying nature as it is.

Last edited by ralts40 : 06-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2014 at 09:11 PM   #20
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Lol... can a man not have a field that he does not like brother? And not liking is essentially "hating" as you have quoted out and highlighted as if it is the word of the year.. My view is that electrical, computer and software engineering are too restrictive fields and donot study raw nature at its core or nature at all for that matter like chemical and other fields do, that's all. I mean it is human logic developed by humans rather than studying nature as it is.
In this case, you might find yourself more comfortable in LifeSci/PhySci. Chem Eng is 80% physics anyways.
Old 06-16-2014 at 09:13 PM   #21
ralts40
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defroster View Post
Most people I know (including myself) by the end of our school regretted taking bioengineering. It did not really provide us with anything we saw as useful and only prolonged our university career.
So, looking back 4 years earlier, do you think that chemical engineering alone is a better option? Cuz chemical is the only field I am really interested in pursuing as of right now without stepping into the university. Can anybody in management option and chemical engineering suggest if they feel it was a burden and useless as well or was it better to have a business an an engineering degree in just 5 years?
Old 06-16-2014 at 09:21 PM   #22
ralts40
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
In this case, you might find yourself more comfortable in LifeSci/PhySci. Chem Eng is 80% physics anyways.
Na brother, I don't even like like to study biology that much and can't imagine myself doing that as the main stream. Physical science is alright, but I wanna do something related to atoms and stuff. So, engineering physics; materials or chemical engineering are the ones on my radar right now.. Let's not get ahead into doing a phd without stepping a foot into university, but I a m planning on doing nanotechnology engineering at masters level, so that's some of my long term goals. I feel like any one of the 3 programs can lead me to that, but it like chemistry, so that's the main goal for me.
Old 06-16-2014 at 09:24 PM   #23
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:

sigh....
Old 06-16-2014 at 10:06 PM   #24
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
So, looking back 4 years earlier, do you think that chemical engineering alone is a better option? Cuz chemical is the only field I am really interested in pursuing as of right now without stepping into the university. Can anybody in management option and chemical engineering suggest if they feel it was a burden and useless as well or was it better to have a business an an engineering degree in just 5 years?
I think both options won't really benefit you in an way. A 4 year degree is a better option IMO. However, I do encourage others to go through the COOP program. My experience in COOP led to me getting a real job pretty quickly after I graduated.
Old 06-16-2014 at 10:16 PM   #25
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
My view is that electrical, computer and software engineering are too restrictive fields and donot study raw nature at its core or nature at all for that matter like chemical and other fields do, that's all. I mean it is human logic developed by humans rather than studying nature as it is.
Do some more research. Electrical engineering is one of the most natural fields of studies, 'nature' wise, consider researching Power Engineering which you can have a focus on in ECE. It's developing power systems from all sorts of resources (solar, hydro, gas, wind, nuclear, etc.) doesn't get more natural than that.

In the real world no ones going to pay you to work with 'atoms and stuff ' at an undergraduate level. What you're describing is more research based, seems like you're more interesting in discovering new things rather than developing systems, products, tools, processes, etc. Management option won't really help with your overall goal.

You really don't know how your first year will go, you could end up bombing and hating all of engineering as a whole. Or it could be a piece of cake and you will be well on your way towards a phD. Still have much to learn.

Oh and definitely take co-op. That'll give you a realization of what's to come after.
Old 06-17-2014 at 06:02 AM   #26
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Quote:
Since you said "I absolutely hate electrical engineering", you can hardly blame people for pointing this out. It's not an exaggeration from you saying that you don't like it; you explicitly said that you hate it (despite no real experience with it).

Quote:
Na brother, I don't even like like to study biology that much and can't imagine myself doing that as the main stream. Physical science is alright, but I wanna do something related to atoms and stuff. So, engineering physics; materials or chemical engineering are the ones on my radar right now.. Let's not get ahead into doing a phd without stepping a foot into university, but I a m planning on doing nanotechnology engineering at masters level, so that's some of my long term goals. I feel like any one of the 3 programs can lead me to that, but it like chemistry, so that's the main goal for me.
Physical science essentially is "atoms and stuff".

Materials is more of a 'chemistry' program than chemical engineering is.

If doing a PhD is getting ahead of yourself, then masters is too

I agree with other posters that you should do co-op if possible. You'll earn money and gain experience which will be invaluable towards getting a job. And (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the co-op hours count towards your P.Eng. You may even be able to do a co-op job in a research lab to get a feel for what grad school is like and whether or not you'd actually want to pursue that (I know science co-op students can do that, but I'm not sure if it works the same way for engineering).

Don't go into first year with a closed mind. A lot can change. And for all you know, you'll end up losing your free choice - that's always something that's hard for people to imagine in high school before they set foot in university, since no one really ever believes that the mark decrease will apply to them, but it happens to many people every year.